Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Lexan Bodies and Custom Color paint jobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lexan Bodies and Custom Color paint jobs

Ive been noticing alot of jeep bodies with the copper green & blue colors on them & was wondering how you guys are achieving them.
Are they a mixture of faskolor paints by parma? Or are they pactra colors in a spray can?
I checked pactra's site out Pactra R/C Paint - Model Car Paint - Testors but they have the same colors as always in rattle can.
Can anyone tell me how you guys are getting such nice colors? I am taking it as it has to be a airbrush deal with a mixture of paints. Can anyone point me to a color chart to what will mix with other colors to get a desired color?
I did some searching on this website and another one but havent found exactly the information I needed. Gonna try google in the meantime.
Copper (can this be pactra's atomic rust?)Testors » Pactra » R/C Car Lacquers » Paints » Atomic Rust Metallic
Or is it fiery orange metallic Testors » Pactra » R/C Car Lacquers » Paints » Fiery Orange Metallic

Green

Blue

Not a Jeep but bigfoot blue

Last edited by spiderxx; 12-13-2011 at 04:09 PM.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure how they arrived at the colors but if you give a Lexan body a couple of light coats of "Bull Dog" adhesion promoter letting the first coat dry before applying the second one you can use Duplicolor car paint any color match you want and it won't chip or peal
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ah yea I remember that stuff.I used it for getting paint to stick to aluminum parts and some plastic too. Never thought about using it on lexan though. Good idea thanks for sharing.
You use to be able to buy it at walmart. I have a can of it left. But cant seem to find it anywhere anymore.
Will have to call advance auto parts and see if they have it in stock.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like to use a lot of Createx airbrush colors. they are the same as auto air colors but in small bottles. craft stores have'm. LOTS of colors to choose from!
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx View Post
Ah yea I remember that stuff.I used it for getting paint to stick to aluminum parts and some plastic too. Never thought about using it on lexan though. Good idea thanks for sharing.
You use to be able to buy it at walmart. I have a can of it left. But cant seem to find it anywhere anymore.
Will have to call advance auto parts and see if they have it in stock.

Yeah Walmart carried it, I thought they still did but like you I haven't needed a can for a while, a can seems to last forever.

Applying it to your bodies, keep it light coats and I prime those hard to hit spots first with really light coats. It's great stuff for us RC guys cuz we can now make paint stick to anything.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks ClassicGMJunkie, Ill have to check my one and only craft store in the area. LOL! Even though they are 13 miles away from me. They dont have a huge selection though.Seems as though as all of the craft stores closed up around here. Wal Mart was my best selection for material and craft related stuff.

Sure do miss those stores. Ben Franklin was another good one but it was 17 miles away.

I have lots of advanced auto's in the area. lol!

Stormin2u - Yea a can does last a long time. That is the great part. If I get too close will spot once painted? How does the paint hold up on impact? No cracks or stress cracks in it?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lexan Bodies and Custom Color paint jobs

Do you use a product like "bull dog" to paint lexan bodies from the inside? And could you use bull dog and then plain auto primer on a lexan body for a complete paint job? I like that color.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #8

Default Re: Lexan Bodies and Custom Color paint jobs

you dont have to use a air brush to get those cool paint jobs bro...pactra paint to start,a grafics kit if you want or do your own.do your base collor then peal your graffics and spray your graffics collor.i always spray a final coat of black to make the paint pop...
78BIGFOOT is offline   Reply With Quote