Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Cuttting Lexan Bodies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cuttting Lexan Bodies?

Does anyone have any other methods for cutting lexan bodies besides scissors, razor knives, or the special curved lexan scissors? Im going to be doing some major surgery to a cherokee body and want to get the most accurate cut possible and in doing some test cuts on an old body the above methods are either too hard to control or leave a jagged edge. Thanks for your input.
myth619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Cuttting Lexan Bodies?

I cut lots of bodies up. I find that the best final product I get with lexan curved scissors.
theiceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiceman72 View Post
I cut lots of bodies up. I find that the best final product I get with lexan curved scissors.
I have a pair of those and maybe theyre getting dull but there are some areas that the cut comes out like a saw tooth when the material gets thick or on a compuond curve....
Old 02-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by myth619 View Post
I have a pair of those and maybe theyre getting dull but there are some areas that the cut comes out like a saw tooth when the material gets thick or on a compuond curve....
Thats when you cut a bit farther out and dremel it down.

Seriously, the best tools to use are the curved lexan scissors and a dremel with a sanding drum on the lowest speed for those hard to get places.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'll second the dremel and/or some good ole elbow grease along with some 80grit sand paper.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

For regular lexan I still find that my best results are by using a brand new blade and I have a few blocks of wood that I prop under the body for support as I score the body. Then I just peel it away. I use the curved scissors in the corners or to get it started. After that I might follow up with the dremel drum sander on low speed. I'll use the knife blade scraping backwards to remove any fuzzies on the edge.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Status...ADDICTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
For regular lexan I still find that my best results are by using a brand new blade and I have a few blocks of wood that I prop under the body for support as I score the body. Then I just peel it away. I use the curved scissors in the corners or to get it started. After that I might follow up with the dremel drum sander on low speed. I'll use the knife blade scraping backwards to remove any fuzzies on the edge.

I second the score and tear method...after 20 or so bodies I found this leaves the cleanest edge. You just have to be careful not to slip when scoring...damage to fingers and RC bodies will occur.
ceedawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I tried to use the razor method before and I damn near took my fingers off. LOL. Too dangerous for my taste.
theiceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

As stated above...a good sharp pair of Lexan curved and just cut below the line about 1/4" to get rid of all the unwanted material and navigating compound curves. Then trim it to the line.

Finish up with the dremel if there are small radius curves to negotiate. Then some sandpaper to remove any slight humps on the straight cuts.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I find cuttin closest to the line you make or is scribed into the body and then finishing it off, like the rest of em said, by using a dremel or sanding it is best.
If you use the razor blade its best to use a straight edge and then cut but dont try to cut it in one shot. Scribe it then do it over and over till you get thru. Using the razor does get ya sore finger tips and can get out of control with it too.
spiderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I personally use my dremel with a saw blade 64t it does a fine job and it's 3/4 in dia. But I used to use a razor and just make a good score mark then bend the lexan and it'll pop right on the score mark then you can clean it up with a dremel or good ol sandpaper

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I use a fresh razor because I'm too cheap to buy lexan scissors.
akaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Thanks the all the ideas. Razor blade idea makes me nervous as I have plenty reminders ( in the was of scars ) of when I missed. I guess its time to dust off the Dremal. What grit sanding drum do you recommend?

This is the look Im going after, No roof, highley modified rear quarters etc.....

Last edited by myth619; 02-26-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Cuttting Lexan Bodies? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what lexan bodies would you like to see 93 FORD BRONCO Paint and Body 649 08-28-2023 08:17 AM
lexan bodies brada12 Paint and Body 0 03-17-2009 04:14 PM
How to Dent lexan bodies? PabloRC General Scale Talk 8 02-08-2009 09:48 PM
Lexan bodies scruff007 General Crawlers 8 01-25-2006 10:27 PM