Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Ford oem orange?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ford oem orange?

Hi all. So I want to paint a hpi 79 ford body after my gramps old 79 but I'm having a hard time finding the right color orange. The only orange I can find are usually too bright or too dark. I would love to use the oem orange Ford used on the 79 pick-ups.
Does anyone have an idea where I could find the Ford oem orange or what is the closest orange to the oem orange I can use?
Thank you:thumbup:
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ford oem orange?

does this help at all? Look at #85 tangerine. hope its what your looking for.

Paint Chips 1979 Ford
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

also, your probably going to have to go to a auto body/paint store to get it. just make sure you tell them what type of material its going on.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yes that's the color I'm going for. I had no idea it would be tangerine orange, my gramps truck was a light orange but no I think about(some more) the was probly faded after so many yrs which would explain a more lighter orange.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Would you happen to have an idea what price range this paint may be assuming they have it?
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Since this is going on a lexan body you can order the lighter orange and lightly mist on a piece of scrap lexan (usually the parts you cut off). If it is okay then try one incomplete mist coat on the body. Then hold it up to the light and see how it looks. It should look like a bunch of little paint overspray mist. Now hit it again with another coat once it dries and this time try to thicken the areas that are misted. Let it dry and hold it up to the light again.

If this is way too light back it with a dark silver at the end. If it is too dark back it with some sort of sprint white. I only use rattle cans and I only use Tamiya paints. Here's their paint chart:
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/medi...art%202010.jpg

Good luck!! Painting is my least favorite part of this hobby lol. Or you could always contact one of the vendors here in the paint section and tell them what you want!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful!
Alexchen, I was thinking of doing it that way too but wanted to try to find something exact..I know, kind of a long shot and probly wont turn out exact since it's lexan anyways.
Painting is my least fav as well, its why Ive always done p.o.s redneck paint jobs also I am a redneck and like the look too..did I mention impatient and a.d.d.?? But will take my time on this one since it's for my gramps.
I'm probly going to try it your way as it sounds to be the least expensive route.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

if you goto a automotive paint,supply store you can have a can mixed up for 15 to 20 bucks in single stange
must85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

since you are painting Lexan, you can print off the color chip sample, take it with to a arts/crafts store like A.C. Moore and match it up to an acrylic paint. Lots of people use those acrylic paints for doing bodies, it's inexpensive and durable and there's no less than 41,000 colors to choose from.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

like said above, first couple coats should be a fine mist. it gives thicker coats something to adhere to. learned that the hard way before i found this Forum. Good luck, as i also love Fords... make sure to post up some pics when your finished...
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
since you are painting Lexan, you can print off the color chip sample, take it with to a arts/crafts store like A.C. Moore and match it up to an acrylic paint. Lots of people use those acrylic paints for doing bodies, it's inexpensive and durable and there's no less than 41,000 colors to choose from.
I can't get the paint chip cuz the truck is long gone now and I can't find a pic of it either. My gramps is looking for one now but it'll be awhile since he slow as hell due to old age and he in Alaska (my home state) too.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by must85 View Post
if you goto a automotive paint,supply store you can have a can mixed up for 15 to 20 bucks in single stange
Thanks. $20 bucks seems a lil steep for a can for one body but it would nice to use on others as well and touch up.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian195 View Post
like said above, first couple coats should be a fine mist. it gives thicker coats something to adhere to. learned that the hard way before i found this Forum. Good luck, as i also love Fords... make sure to post up some pics when your finished...
Yes that is the method I'm going to try first. Came across a can of orange paint at my buddys house and it looked to be the right color to me. So he gave it to me! I will test it on a piece of scrap lexan first to see how it'll look.
Here's the paint, it's an enamel and when it comes to paint I might as well have been living under a rock since I seem to throw just about any kinda paint on my bodies. Will enamel be ok on lexan? I just want this one to look good for my gramps.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by railripper View Post
I can't get the paint chip cuz the truck is long gone now and I can't find a pic of it either. My gramps is looking for one now but it'll be awhile since he slow as hell due to old age and he in Alaska (my home state) too.
www.paintscratch.com- you can look at color samples, then print one out.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint-body/413327-ford-oem-orange.html
Posted By For Type Date
Ford Pick ups - Page 2 | BoardReader This thread Refback 02-15-2013 03:22 AM

Ford oem orange? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.55 OEM wheels? F-150Highlift 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 01-29-2010 08:18 AM