Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: what is best paint for cold weather (for airbrush)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what is best paint for cold weather (for airbrush)

it's going to kill me if i get my Clod built up and have to wait until next year to paint a body, so what paint has anyone had luck with in the 45-55F temperature range? i'm leaning towards trying Faskolor as i plan on painting it in my basement, or at least letting it dry between coats there. this is for a standard Lexan body, not a hard body, and it's for a crawler that will probably crash a lot.

i've used the airbrush to paint bodies before, but it was in the summer.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b.
it's going to kill me if i get my Clod built up and have to wait until next year to paint a body, so what paint has anyone had luck with in the 45-55F temperature range? i'm leaning towards trying Faskolor as i plan on painting it in my basement, or at least letting it dry between coats there. this is for a standard Lexan body, not a hard body, and it's for a crawler that will probably crash a lot.

i've used the airbrush to paint bodies before, but it was in the summer.

andy b.
Your best bet is to use only paints designed for lexan. (they need to flex)

they airbrush jsut fine
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
Your best bet is to use only paints designed for lexan. (they need to flex)
i know THAT. :-P Faskolor is a Lexan paint. my concern is the cold weather. i never painted below about 70F.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b.
i know THAT. :-P Faskolor is a Lexan paint. my concern is the cold weather. i never painted below about 70F.

andy b.
I believe ti states not to use under 60* for best results. Id build a small spray booth with fan venting outside. a good sized cardboard box with inline fan and shroud so it pulls the fumes to the outdoors
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

When I paint in the winter I keep the paint and body inside until I am ready. Then I get the airbrush ready, go back inside and get the body, shoot a coat, and take the body back inside to let the paint tack up and stay warm.

I just keep going in and out until I am done painting (my wife gets mad at me going in and out of the garage so much ). I've never seen any problems that I could attribute to the cold weather.

I use Pactra Racing Finish.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-14-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

maybe look into purchasing a small space heater.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:25 AM   #7

If you are using faskolor there is really no concern about using inside since it is water based. Faskolor works great. Just put on in thin coats and then hit with a blow drier to help speed up the dry time. After you are done you can then use a spray can of Pactra (black, white, silver) to back up and seal the Faskolor, but do that outside. Then you can use some of the Faskolor Faskoat on top of that to build up for more scratch resistance. Also, you might want to check at the local craft stores to see if they sell Createx Paints. Createx is the same stuff as Faskolor, but half the price. They're available in the same type bottles or even bigger quantities in some colors.

Another tip: If you like to use the Faskoat, I don't put that stuff in my airbrush, I use a mini detail gun that I got at a Harborfreight store for $9. Alot easier to clean than the airbrush.
fourxblz is offline   Reply With Quote