Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Can some one please tell me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Can some one please tell me

I bought a new Trail Finder 2 Body set and need to know what kinda of glue or epoxy I need to use on the Door Handles, the Full Cab Back and the Grill even thought it mounts with a bracket and nuts and bolts it still needs to glued in place. So can some one please tell me what I can use

Last edited by kgb424; 02-04-2016 at 03:59 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Can some one please tell me

since no one will answer me, I bought some Plastruct Bondene from flea bay, thanks for the help
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
since no one will answer me, I bought some Plastruct Bondene from flea bay, thanks for the help
Just 2 threads above your post is what's called a "sticky". This thread has every bit of information you're looking for on this subject, all you have to do is click and read. This type of question gets asked very often which is why we had a mod make it a sticky so it would be readily available for users. I've included a link below just in case you can't find it. Glad we could help.
☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hoosierdady

I read that and that's why I went to Michaels Crafts they sell polystyrene sheets for craft projects but not the glue/epoxy/cement for it, then I went to Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowe's, Cal Ranch, they all have the same black ABS Cement for pipe, that's why I asked what to use, I was hoping people would give me info on bonding the surfaces together and there personnel experiences using the Cements and where to find and buy the Cements, and what to use to clean up the extra cements, and none of that is mentioned in the Chop Shop Guide, there is a Hobby Town close to me, I will not go back in there in until I'm locked and Fxxxxxx Loaded, like a Postal Employee or a Pissed off DMV worker, I'm serious that how much they pissed me off. So that's why I asked the question and again, I'm not getting the info, I need so I guess I'm the xxxxxxx right, cause I asked question that has not been answered
Old 03-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I haven't read the sticky, but in my past experiences using styrene, you can always revert back to using Testors Model Cement. On cementing chrome plated pieces, scrape the plating from mating surfaces using an exacto knife held at a 90 degree angle to the piece your scraping. Haven't you ever built a model kit from Revell, AMT, or Monogram?
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

No Mike Flea

I'm bonding the cab back on a TF2 Mojave body and its ABS, I think, I read the sticky, the first product is instant glue, like crazy glue, it's too brittle and turns white, the second product is a accelerator for the first product that speeds up drying time and reduces the whitening , the Third product is Styrene/ABS, that's what I was looking for, cause the next 2 are Shoo Goo and E-6000, I have some of both and have used both, they are not what I need, I built models as a kid using Testers glue and I don't think its right for what I need either

So I bought some Plastruct Bondene for less than $10 with shipping on E-Bay

done deal

Last edited by kgb424; 03-06-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Hoosierdady

I read that and that's why I went to Michaels Crafts they sell polystyrene sheets for craft projects but not the glue/epoxy/cement for it, then I went to Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowe's, Cal Ranch, they all have the same black ABS Cement for pipe, that's why I asked what to use, I was hoping people would give me info on bonding the surfaces together and there personnel experiences using the Cements and where to find and buy the Cements, and what to use to clean up the extra cements, and none of that is mentioned in the Chop Shop Guide, there is a Hobby Town close to me, I will not go back in there in until I'm locked and Fxxxxxx Loaded, like a Postal Employee or a Pissed off DMV worker, I'm serious that how much they pissed me off. So that's why I asked the question and again, I'm not getting the info, I need so I guess I'm the xxxxxxx right, cause I asked question that has not been answered
I don't think you really read the sticky. If you did you would see that all of the above was answered except for how to remove excess glue ( just sand it off). For your application CA glue is best, Run some Bondene on the outside and then I would smear a thin bead of Shoogoo or E6000 on the backside of the joint (just as I explained in the sticky). I gave links and also examples of how and when to use each type of adhesive. All of this information I got from experience in doing body work for others as well as just doing experiments on my own. Nobody knows what your local stores keep in stock, so the best any of us could do would be to show you what glue to use, how and why. All of which are explained in that thread. You may want to lay off the rock smoking and calm down a little man.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Sticky are key, but it is nice to hear specific feeback for your question
mxturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

From experience, i used CA only on my TF2 parts. Nearly trashed the cab when i switched from the half back to full cab back.

On a recent build, i used Plastruct Bondene to stick a Reign RC full cab back to a Tamiya hilux cab. I then backed the joints with a bead of JB Weld Plastic 2-part epoxy.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote