Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Applying Decals to Alumimum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Applying Decals to Alumimum

Guys,

I have a Yeti XL on the way. Plan on getting one of Barndog's aluminum body kits for it. I want to apply some self adhesive "Wrap" material to the panels, then some decals over that.

What is the best product to use for the Black "Wrap" underneath? Any Tricks and tips for applying it?

Want to end up with something like this:

Here is what Barndog's panels look like in plain aluminum:

Thinking about using these decals, they are for snowmobile/ATV shocks and Mountain Bike Forks.

I will report back with how it turns out.

Last edited by Jayn; 11-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Jayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Applying Decals to Alumimum

I have a set of Barndogs panels but like all metal surfaces you will need to give it a good clean if you want it to last. Use a good degreaser or brake cleaner and wash off thoroughly. Once dried I wiped mine over with cotton balls soaked in isopropyl alcohol and still got a lil grime off. Sticks like poo to a blanket now lol
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Good idea Lozza I clean them with all purpose cleaner after they are sanded but there is always something left.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

get some black sticker vinyl from either ebay/amazon or a local sign shop. Boom, done and ready for your fox stickers. If you get sick of it you can rip it all off and put something new on.
onebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I use an old static model method when applying any type of decal or wrap to either lexan, ABS plastic, polished aluminum panels, raw aluminum panels, and glass or acrylic surfaces.

Clean clean surface with the best residue remover you have. I like to use 3M Adhesive Remover first (smells like gasoline in an aerosol can....which is basically almost what it is lol), wipe dry with a clean microfiber rag or shop towel. Then spray any type of aerosol electronics cleaner like the kind for RC electrics or for cleaning computers. Wipe dry with a new microfiber rag or another shop towel.

Finally here's the trick to getting perfect positioning...grab a bottle of Windex (ammonia free) and spray one panel at a time and only the small area you plan to decal first. Decals take a steady hand and lots of patience.

Once you've sprayed the area 2-3 times where there's thin layer of Windex over the panel, spray a thin layer onto the wrap or decal section on the adhesive side only. Then apply your first section of wrap or decal and slide it into position with your finger or hobby knife gently. Once in place grab a heat gun or hairdryer set on lowest setting (you do not want to melt the decal or wrap).

Heat the decal or wrap slowly and keep the heat moving don't let the heat stay in one area more than a second or two. Once you see that the decal or wrap has ALMOST dried from the Windex evaporating use your fingers and slowly push the rest of the Windex left behind the decal or as out to the sides.

Then reposition if necessary again very gently. When properly positioned, grab another shop rag and press the decal or wrap firmly against the panel for a few seconds. Grab the heat gun or hair dryer and swing the heat a few times over the decal or wrap again which will cure the adhesive in place. Again do not overdo the heat!

This method has worked for me for decades. Last time I applied tons of decals onto my Wraith with one off custom mirror finish panels made by DMG. The opening hood was made from raw aluminum by CarterFab with a full custom center line raised down the entire length of the hood. I also applied a few decals there as well even after I had used Blue Magic aluminum wheel polish to match the hood to the mirror finish of the panels.

For pics search "chromed out wraith" and jump to the last few pages you can see that after all the rock rash and abrasions every decal is still in their original places.

Last edited by alexchen86; 11-03-2015 at 07:06 AM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Alexchen86
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

No problem brother. That's why I love this forum even though I have sold all of my competition crawlers my 1.9, 2.2 sporty, and 2.2 pro rig I enjoy sharing what I have learned from others. There's many vendors on here that will also spend the time to write you a full page detailed step by step process of how they chop/putty fill/mold/styrene/sand/wetsand/primer/paint/clear/polish there rig chassis and bodies as well!

I did a good write up on painting hardbodies but can't seem to find them....I had a lot of help from several people that have given me a lot of pointers and advice. But still some of these guys here are incredible with the styrene let alone the guys that can work with basic sheet metal and a cardboard they used a Sharpie and a ruler to draw out an intricate one of a kind chassis?! Jeeeeez.

Just sold a few of my scalers too....just got left a 1.9 scx10 axled loaded up Wraith with a Rubicon body.

Going to attempt 1/14 Tamiya semi's next LOL!

Last edited by alexchen86; 11-05-2015 at 09:02 AM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

Not a crawler but still relative, I do automotive decals and vinyl wraps on the side and used my skills to wrap the fiberglass fuselage on my 450 size AS350 helicopter build. It definitely turned out great and models the full scale version great!

murderisthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

That Chopper is AWESOME!
Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I Ended up going with an ICON theme, rather than FOX... But I think it turned out pretty good!

Thanks for all of the tips!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

wow, a steam powered yeti with valentino rossi driving!!
Old 12-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebullet View Post
wow, a steam powered yeti with valentino rossi driving!!
Good EYE!

Thats what happens when your kids are PC Gamers and your Brother works for Yamaha!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

haha, spread the wealth!

it looks cool, just thought it sounded funny

Applying Decals to Alumimum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips for applying Creeper decals / newbieCrawler123 Venom Creeper 4 02-06-2012 03:23 PM
Applying Freqe Skinz... jeepster73 Paint and Body 4 07-24-2011 11:20 PM
applying liquid mask brianw Paint and Body 8 01-29-2010 06:27 AM
Question about applying large decals venomous98 Paint and Body 5 05-23-2009 10:34 PM
applying window masks kacz7895 Paint and Body 9 04-24-2007 05:57 PM