Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Tired of chipped paint and cracked bodies :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tired of chipped paint and cracked bodies :)

Rubberize It

Baby ROJO got a permenant color inhancement. Plasti-Dip RED

I got some big plasti-dip red spray cans on clearance for $1.00 at Home Depot and I was just going to waterproof the electronics and such. I thought that it would make the body too heavy, but it actually came out of the can as light as normal paint. lt coats and settles smooth.

Now I have a rubberized body for ultimate flexability and durability with no weight penalty

It comes in red, blue, yellow, and black.

I would recommend removing the mask's before it dries because this stuff dries solid overnight, yet flexable

I had to remove the window masks with an exacto knife, which took at least 3 or 4 passes. With lexan paint I did not even need a knife when the paint was dry in most cases

Just something new
sticksNstones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
[HOONIGAN]

I'm sorry but there is no way that that stuff is as light as regular lexan paint.
If you prep and paint the body correctly it won't crack or chip anyways with nexan paint. Good find, but not for a comp rig. The weight gain prolly would be negligible for a basher or a scale rig though.

JIA uses that stuff to get a realistic look for fender flares. It's in the scale tips and tricks section.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I guess I will find out how it performs because all I have are comp rigs. I also had my doubts about the weight, but my gram scale dosent lie

If you were concerned about weight you could use it as a single final coat which would be a major improvement over fascoat
Old 02-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

There is a guy on ebay selling bodys with Vortex Bedliner material sprayed all over the outside. That sure wouldnt scratch or chip either but it would be seriously heavy.
maxboostbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #5

Sounds like it definately has some merit. How many coats did you apply? Do you happen to have the weight numbers for your painted and plasti dipped bodies?
Old One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I sprayed it with two thin coats at a distace of about 12 inches, which was enough to make it solid.

The product plasti-dip is different in the way it coats heavy and gives the misconception that the plasti-spray is the same way , which is not true.

I Will post weight comparisons ASAP.

After sitting for a couple of days I can not even scratch through it with my finger nail, tough stuff
Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, look forward to seeing the #'s
Old One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Would like to see some pictures please!!! Have a couple bodies laying around waiting for paint and this could just be it!!! get to posting!!! j/king
venom*one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I plan on giving this a shot, but since im still new to crawling I dont think I would notice a difference in the weight. But as long as you keep the layers light it should not be very heavy. The spray stuff is not even close to the thickness of the dip.

TQ
tq_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksNstones
I guess I will find out how it performs because all I have are comp rigs.
Can you explain the difference between a crawler and a crawler?

I to would like to see pics. Although I've not had any troubles if I prep the body good. I did have one that chipped like crazy......but I just pulled it out of the package,applied window masks and shot. After about 3-4 months of abuse,it started chipping. To me though,the damage adds character you can tell it's not a shelf queen
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote