Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Hilux cab repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hilux cab repair

I finished up this truggy cab back in the winter and seems like every time I take it out something else brakes...First was the a pillar, then the roof, then the fenders. I thought i was being clever and i used some 24 hour epoxy to glue aluminium rod to the inside everywhere i was having craking issues. Went well for a few packs and i guess i got to confident and I rolled it backwards and it went for a good tumble. The epoxy didnt hold. I scuffed up the cab and the rod and cleaned them very well before i started. Cab was down to bare plastic. If i tried somthing like e6000 with the aluminium would i have better results? im willing to fix it right but its goint to be a pita to get all the epoxy off to do so.... Or should I use styrene and just tripple up the thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Tufftf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hilux cab repair

I use the 5 Minute stuff and it’s usually extremely hard. It needs to bond straight to the body plastic.

Small batch it and when it’s still runny tilt the body around so that it gets everywhere you want it to bond. As it hardens around minute 3 add some more and let that level itself out. After it’s tacky enough to hold a fingerprint it’s too late to do anything except maybe cut it to clean up lines or whatever. I found that the longer cure time stuff doesn’t seem to bond right or doesn’t want to go on smooth and stays lumpy.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #3
Sinking with the ship

I would suggest gluing the pillar back in, using MEK or plastruct glue. Then I would definitely layer up the back side with some styrene glued in with the above. I am a big fan of e6000 myself, I use that quite often and that stuff is great as a backing.

Also, I dont know if its out just for the repair, but having a windshield in the truck will definitely help with the pillar support as well

-mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
I would suggest gluing the pillar back in, using MEK or plastruct glue. Then I would definitely layer up the back side with some styrene glued in with the above. I am a big fan of e6000 myself, I use that quite often and that stuff is great as a backing.

Also, I dont know if its out just for the repair, but having a windshield in the truck will definitely help with the pillar support as well

-mike
I agree about the winsheild helping alot, and the fact that i cut the fender flairs im sure has weakened it alot but its the tamiya cab and i cant stand the limo tint winsheild....i thought for sure the 24 hr stuff would be stronger but it obviously not the answer....

Tufftf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufftf2 View Post
I agree about the winsheild helping alot, and the fact that i cut the fender flairs im sure has weakened it alot but its the tamiya cab and i cant stand the limo tint winsheild....i thought for sure the 24 hr stuff would be stronger but it obviously not the answer....

You can get clear glass from Tamiya now from the re release mountaineer and bruiser.

And plastruct or MEK will definitely work the best with styrene
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I've got the clear windows in mine wouldn't have had windows either if i had to run the smoked windows
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Dang. I can't believe you're getting that much breakage. My Hilux has held up extremely well and it has taken some serious hits and tumbles in the rocks. It also weighs just under 9lbs, so no lightweight.

I do run the windows (clear). I'm wondering if having the full windows installed adds an extra level of support/durability? (Drivers side window and front windshield are both cracked as well - maybe spared me from body damage?)

Last edited by mewalsh100; 07-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hilux cab repair - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to repair a hilux hard body Icer.One General Scale Talk 3 09-05-2011 06:26 PM
Hilux Cab Repair? CreepyCrawl Paint and Body 12 02-06-2011 08:12 AM