Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Proline Back Half Cage Installations ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

Anybody?

Wanted to see what others were doing. I have one on order along with the P.L. 66 Ford F100 half cab. To be installed on my TRX-4. In another other pic (trx4) I saw, the cage, below the tire mount was resting on the frame....

this is what I have so far.....my first pic ! You
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 12-06-2018 at 10:49 PM.
SkipnStones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Proline Back Half Cage Installations ?

Funny I was just reading the latest issue of rc car action and there is a proline Chevy cab getting proline cage installed (Test bench article).

I need a rear cage too for my sons rc4wd blazer cab conversion. But I think the proline is not tall enough.
But! I do like seeing how people are using the proline cage.

*here is the truck from the article

Last edited by Shinchu; 09-29-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #3

I too purchased Pro-line Back-Half cage '6322-00' along with the 66' Chevy Pro-line cab only body '3483-01' to go together on my SCX10 ii chassis. I wasn't sure how it would line up and after cutting out the 66' cab to fit, I feel the rear cage sits up too high from the frame for my liking. As seen here in that Test Bench photo it doesn't look that bad but I'd think I would need to add some polystyrene panels between the frame and bottom portion of the Pro-line cage to look decent.

That said, has anyone tried putting this Pro-line rear half cage on the Pro-line 46' Dodge Power Wagon yet? That is now going through my mind, just not too sure if the 46' cab is too narrow to fit that rear cage or not??

Last edited by Howlkat; 10-08-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Adding RC model
Howlkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I've got my eye on this cage as well. I'd like to pair it up to the Axial 2015 RAM Power Wagon (AX31132). Haven't seen one on a TRX4 yet, so I don't know if the cab will fit well or not. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, because it's an expensive combo, coming it at over $120 for both.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #5

Ok, this post has inspired me to throw on my creative cap, so I guess I'll at least start to try and fit the Pro-line rear cage to the Chevy C10 body and then figure out how it will look mounted onto my SCX10 II chassis. Before I invest into 3D printed interior parts and inner fenders I got to ensure that I can live with the body upgrade to my previous Jeep JK body that it came with.

I began last night changing out some tube style rock sliders, still have to clean up the bodies lines with my dremel and sand block and then get the rear cage bolted up to the cab's body. Like I said before, I didn't think that I'd like the look of the rear cage sitting up so far off the rear Axial frame rails but we'll see how it goes. Wasn't too sure that I wanted to take the body out of the bag, thought about returning it for a SR5 body but when I was 17yr old back way back when in 88', my 1st vehicle was a 64' Chevy C10 and I had a lot of memories with it from back then so it might mean a little more to me using Pro-lines 66' C10 body as it is close as it gets to what I had back then and I'll sure be able to climb more stuff with my Axial lol.

I'm not sure how to post pics in this post, not seeing an option for it, was that enabled in this post? I'll provide URLs for them here.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0W79...UtjtsalJjX7SMQ
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0tVX...Btm3mBbbPUlJHQ
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ze1...Xx8KS8HDMkdm7g

Last edited by Howlkat; 10-09-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlkat View Post
Ok, this post has inspired me to throw on my creative cap, so I guess I'll at least start to try and fit the Pro-line rear cage to the Chevy C10 body and then figure out how it will look mounted onto my SCX10 II chassis.

Everything seems shifted back towards the rear to me. It might look better with the rear wheels moved back. Can you extend the wheelbase easily with some longer links?
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #7

Hello, a few observations from my TRX-4 Proline cage (& 66 Ford F100) marriage. Since I used a Bronco based TRX-4 I had to deal with the fenders. The front stand alone shock tower replacements worked fine, in the rear I couldn't get them to fit correctly ( I tried every mounting possibility), the shock springs rub on the towers enough to be annoying and mechanically lacking so I stuck with the rear fenders. The cage has a faux fuel tank to accommodate the rear shock towers, in order for the cage to fit the body mounts the cage needs to be shifted to the rear of the fuel tank not leaving much room to play with the location of the body mounts, which in turn, has the body mounted a bit to the rear, and in turn again, leaving the front bumper sticking out to far for me. I am working on a solution for the front bumper. I think my finished truck(except for the front bumper) looks great! and will get around to posting pics at one point as I have yet to pony up the $20. (to be able to post pics.) I was able to get the cage to rest low and almost resting on the chassis. thanks, Skip

Last edited by SkipnStones; 10-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

Default Proline Back Half Cage Installations ?

Maybe if i tried using my Tapatalk app instead of PC for forum I’d have figured out how to upload my project pics lol

Ok, I’ve made some good progress on mating up Prolines Rear cage to their Proline 46’ power wagon cab body. This is mounted to my SCX10 v2 chassis. I’m going to use magnet to mount body instead of clips. Let me know what you guys think. Taken a bit of work to get it lined up and I’m still in progress as to how much of the body I will still trim down on the fenders and side rocker panels. It took a bit of work to cut down the appropriate angle and clearance for GRC printed inner front fenders for this build but I think it will only add to the scale looks.

I’m digging the Wertymade power wagon bumper I recently acquired. I like it better than my RC4WD JK bumper. Good bye JEEP, welcoming the 46’ Dodge Power Wagon / Truggy rear cage look instead. I think it’s starting to come together. Next up, trim, mount, 3D radiator & grill and then paint. And then wire up lights to my DG1 Dragon controller which will be hidden into the rear fuel cell. Then axle upgrade time. On goes the fun.

Expensive toy but I love the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Howlkat; 11-08-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

nice work on the hinge mount at the rear of the cage. flip top!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
nice work on the hinge mount at the rear of the cage. flip top!

Thanks, mainly doing that so I won’t have to mess around with disconnecting the LED light wires once they are all in place.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #11

the inspiration for my color scheme:
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnStones View Post

I like the two tone color! Nice job, looks street legal with those rear fenders!

This was my inspiration for my build, only not the color I will be laying down something different soon!

I got my axles installed and suspension links all shim’d up this past weekend. That made a huge difference btw, everything is slop free now. I should be trimming the fenders in next.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #13

Update for my Proline racing rear cage build.

Added some color to my build. Thought I’d post the almost completed project. Still have some lights and electrical to install and wire in. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions!

Last edited by Howlkat; 01-01-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:

Added some color to my build. Thought I’d post the completed project. Let me know what you guys think!

Great looking rig. I'm mounting a Power Wagon body on my SCX10II and I'm planning on running the bed, but it's soooo long and the overhang is horrendous. I may have to think about running a cage instead. Love the Idaho plates, what part of Idaho are you from?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #15

Hi Mongo and thanks. Yes, Idaho, just outside Boise, yourself?

I put a lot of time into building it. I gained some weight but I like the scale look of it much better. The rear cage is much better for rear tire suspension articulation. You could try your hand at cutting down the Lexan on that rear PowerWagon bed to accommodate your overall length I’d think. Then some Goop or ShoeGoo would be ur friend there with mending the Lexan back together.

Let me know how it goes with your project.

Last edited by Howlkat; 12-31-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I'm in Pocatello. I'm going to keep everything uncut for now, I really want mine to look like a classic PW. Here's a link to my build thread. Mongo's Power Wagon build
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
RCC Addict

What inner fenders are you running up front?
Old 12-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipnStones View Post
Love the color scheme on your build. Reminds me of a paint job i did on a Tamiya Blackfoot back in the day.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:10 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Love the color scheme on your build. Reminds me of a paint job i did on a Tamiya Blackfoot back in the day.
Looks like extremely cut GRC's?

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...0+II&id=148776
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Added some color to my build. Thought I’d post the completed project. Let me know what you guys think!

What can I say, WOW. This is a awesome build. I'm completely in love with it and it's not even mine, lol. It's a master piece of work. Love the magnet idea as well. I had a friend recently build a project using similar mouting with earth magnets and turned out great. Where did you get the mounts from?

I recently got a scx10.2 and the powerwagon is one of my choices for a body long with some others. I had thoughts about doing a cage as well, but this might make it a deal breaker for me. Now the question is can I piece it together myself, lol.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote

Proline Back Half Cage Installations ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pro-Line Back-Half Cage Zoqi Traxxas TRX-4 1 07-29-2018 10:49 PM
Proline Back-Half Cage for Pro-Line Cab Only Crawler Bodies durok Paint and Body 17 06-27-2018 09:12 PM
PRE-ORDER NOW!! NEW Pro-Line Racing Back-Half Cage for Cab Crawler Bodies! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-22-2018 01:43 PM