Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: New trx4 sport suv body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New trx4 sport suv body

Got a new trx4 sport suv body and want it a nice bright orange. After i paint it orange what paint colors shouild be added to the back side of the orange? I keep reading people on here having to put other colors on after their main paint. Suggestions?
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: New trx4 sport suv body

Either white black or silver will work. Try some out on a spare piece of Lexan if you have it and see which turns out the best in the sun for you. Maybe try silver or white since you want the orange a little brighter.

I’ve used black as a backer on tamiya orange before and it came out great. Just have to make sure you have enough orange down. 2 cans of orange at least would be a good idea for the sport camper body. Let the primary color dry up nice before you add the backer so they don’t bleed together.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

White first behind the orange to make it POP, 2 or 3 coats of the orange to get it to the depth of color you want.

Back it with White first for a bright color, at least 2 coats, little subdued, silver instead of the white, then back with black.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
White first behind the orange to make it POP, 2 or 3 coats of the orange to get it to the depth of color you want.

Back it with White first for a bright color, at least 2 coats, little subdued, silver instead of the white, then back with black.
I’ve never tried a paint sandwich like this before but I like it. Going to have to give this a shot soon.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yep, I do mine like Mr. Flea. Body colors, then white or silver, then black inside to eliminate the "lighted box" effect. And let it cure pretty well or the vapors can fog your clear windows when you unmask 'em and flip it right-side-up. Just my routine ... I'm no expert.

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What Mike said
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Either white black or silver will work. Try some out on a spare piece of Lexan if you have it and see which turns out the best in the sun for you. Maybe try silver or white since you want the orange a little brighter.

I’ve used black as a backer on tamiya orange before and it came out great. Just have to make sure you have enough orange down. 2 cans of orange at least would be a good idea for the sport camper body. Let the primary color dry up nice before you add the backer so they don’t bleed together.
I never would have thought a little rc body would need 2 cans of paint, good to know.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Always good to have 2 cans of color on hand in case there's a problem, clogged nozzle, or not enough aerosol ( had that happen to me, half way through a job, it just quit spraying). Just remember to spray in light

coats so you don't get runs or orange peel. If the humidity and temp are right when you spray, the paint should tack up in a minute or two between coats. Like Pant Danza mentioned, test spray on a piece of lexan.

Did this body come pre-cut, or did you have to cut flashing and around wheel openings?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Always good to have 2 cans of color on hand in case there's a problem, clogged nozzle, or not enough aerosol ( had that happen to me, half way through a job, it just quit spraying). Just remember to spray in light

coats so you don't get runs or orange peel. If the humidity and temp are right when you spray, the paint should tack up in a minute or two between coats. Like Pant Danza mentioned, test spray on a piece of lexan.

Did this body come pre-cut, or did you have to cut flashing and around wheel openings?
pick up on friday, it saids fully trimmed on traxxas website, we will see.

Also heard to put can in warm water before using it as a tip.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Body came perfectly cut and with body post holes, very nice. I think too cold to paint here -30.

Do i let the paint dry and cure between different colors?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
Body came perfectly cut and with body post holes, very nice. I think too cold to paint here -30.

Do i let the paint dry and cure between different colors?

Yes, otherwise you may get bleed through, unless of course that's the look you're going for.

This body was painted with only a couple seconds between different color coats so they would blend.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

since i am painting a brand new body on the inside do i still scruff it up? and if yes whats better green or red 3m scratch pads? Thx
Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You can, but not necessary, as long as you're using a polycarbonate specific paint. Just wash with a mild detergent like Dawn, and let dry thoroughly before painting, especially if there are a lot of nooks. Shake it a few times, then let it dry on its own. I recommend 12-24 hrs before painting.

New trx4 sport suv body - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trx4 sport xj body LosiGreenCrawler Traxxas TRX-4 3 01-27-2019 12:22 AM
Traxxas Trx4 sport body & bumper mods upgrade for better crawling ability! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 12-10-2018 11:35 AM
Trx4 bronco with Sport body and traxxas lift kit Exiwolfman Traxxas TRX-4 0 10-13-2018 02:20 PM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM