Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: Inexpensive airbrush system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Inexpensive airbrush system

Hey Fellas,

I’ve been thinking about a inexpensive airbrush system from harbor freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp...kit-95630.html

Has anyone used this? Any other full systems that are better quality without a huge jump in price?
trxrdr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #2

Default Re: Inexpensive airbrush system

I'm not a painting expert and definitely not a pro with airbrushes. I've never used an airbrush for more than practice. When I first started looking into airbrushes I was considering the HF airbrush and those compressors. After tons of research I decided to get the HF airbrush and a good air compressor. I was lucky to find the Husky 4610A on clearance. It's a rebranded California Air model that has aluminum tanks and it's whisper quiet. I couldn't pass it up for $99.

Anyway, you'll find mixed reviews on the HF stuff and those tiny air compressors.

This guy has an awesome airbrush review site with tons of models including the HF brush: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Here are some links to feedback on the HF compressors:

Central Pneumatic 1/8 HP, 40 PSI Oilless Airbrush Compressor - FineScale Modeler - Essential magazine for scale model builders, model kit reviews, how-to scale modeling, and scale modeling products
Harbor Freight Air Compressor - Model Railroader Magazine - Model Railroading, Model Trains, Reviews, Track Plans, and Forums
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I got the standard cheap gravity feed airbrush and a 2HP compressor, it's much noisier than the small ones but that doesn't cause any problem here as I only paint in the day.
If you paint at night or people can't handle noise then you will need something smaller - but you will have more on/off cycles, albeit at lower volume.

The most important thing is safety though, especially when you are putting on clear - need good ventilation and a decent painters mask with interchangeable filters.
Chicken Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Is inexpensive, and will give good inexpensive results. Think it will pulse the air delivery every stroke. You'll need to work around that.

I read 50psi might spend's 5 bucks put a regulator on it. Check length of the hose, do not what that thing running in your face, you'll not like that really quick.

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-ps...gg_q=regulator
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

I do have a larger compressor I could use. I figured the small compressors were designed for airbrush use. I stupidly didn’t realize a regular compressor could be easily retro fitted for airbrush use.

Last edited by trxrdr17; 04-26-2020 at 12:43 PM.
trxrdr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxrdr17 View Post
I do have a larger compressor I could use. I figured the small compressors were designed for airbrush use. I stupidly didn’t realize a regular compressor could be easily retro fitted for airbrush use.
Yeah man use the big compressor, you will be much happier, and get much better results... You will want around 30pis to start adjust up or down from there. Too much pressure dry, grainy finish, too low air brush will not paint.

$89-$44=$45 < for paint

Has 3 sizes of tips, 10ft hose, great AB

No $$$ gain just showing what I use and like real well...... I've owned & used Binks Wren & IWATA, this one easy to set, easy to clean, good results,

https://www.midwestairbrush.com/nepasisiacin.html
Attached Images

Last edited by JacktheRipper; 04-27-2020 at 07:24 AM.
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You definitely want a regulator and if you can use the big tank that'll be easier. The small tanks are designed for airbrush use but mainly for being easy to put anywhere in a small hobby room, which is harder to do with a 5+ gallon tank. Also easy to pick up and haul outside to spray lacquers because I'd rather not do that in my hobby room.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbrush