Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: They're almost here - '69 and '72 TRX-4 Blazer bodies!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: They're almost here - '69 and '72 TRX-4 Blazer bodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I doubt the licensing fees are any less for JConcepts and Proline, and they don't charge $150/each for their bodies.
JC and PL will sell a lot more bodies though. Quantity helps make up the difference on the margin.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEV8 View Post
The size difference is very minimal. The Axial body is a slight longer (maybe 1/4") but that is due primarily to the shape of the grille - it projects forward at the top and is more pointed. The Traxxas grill is slightly wider (maybe 1/8") and the sides of the body are contoured more like the 1:1 Blazer - the Axial is a bit flat on the sides. The Traxxas also has a very (very!) slight crease running along each side where the top trim strips go on the 1:1 - the Axial doesn't have this. The O.A. heights are same.

The Traxxas body seems very thin, especially at the bottom along the rockers. The Axial body seems thicker and perhaps more rigid.

For me, the biggest problem with the Traxxas (apart from the high cost) are the body post holes. This is the age of magnets and hidden body mounts so I really wish they wouldn't punch the post holes.

Overall, I'd say that the Traxxas is a more accurate scale replica of the 1:1 but it includes a tremendous number of parts which contributes to it's very high cost. Also, the Traxxas sticker sheet printing is better quality than Axial.

That said, I think the Axial Blazer body is a better value. It's much less expensive, simpler to build and it can be made to look very good (as I hope to demonstrate later).

I'll post some pics after I've finished building the Axial '69 Blazer. I got the Traxxas '72 clear body set (#9111) to build as a shelfer at some point in the future. I've also ordered Traxxas Blazer side marker lights and tail lights to go in the Axial Blazer - they look incredible! It's going to require some very precise cuts but the Traxxas lights will fit the Axial.
Thank you very much LEV8...just what I was looking for.

I already have the Axial body and I was trying to figure out if the Traxxas would fit my SCX10 chassis so I could make one a "bruiser/basher", and the other one could be a nice scale version. I ordered it up yesterday directly from Traxxas.

I'm still disappointed that any of the companies making bodies, still make them with enlarged wheel wells. In the 1:1 world, they just get hacked out and add on fender flares, to fit bigger tires. The wheel wells on the Traxxas Blazers are slightly oversized, but still manage to look decent.

Prolines '77 Ramcharger is the perfect example of how bad you can make something look with the oversized wheel wells. If this would have been done with scale wheel wells, it would look awesome. Back in the earlier RC days of trucks, we just cut them to fit, because we only had the scale sized wheel wells in our bodies. Sorry for the rant...

Have you seen any sources for the upper side trim strip? I'd like to do a two-tone with a piece of trim and I prefer not to use a decal if I don't have to.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I'm still disappointed that any of the companies making bodies, still make them with enlarged wheel wells. In the 1:1 world, they just get hacked out and add on fender flares, to fit bigger tires. The wheel wells on the Traxxas Blazers are slightly oversized, but still manage to look decent.

Prolines '77 Ramcharger is the perfect example of how bad you can make something look with the oversized wheel wells.
I got anotha contendah!

Vaterra's 1972 Chevy Suburban Ascender...

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:25 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEV8 View Post

For me, the biggest problem with the Traxxas (apart from the high cost) are the body post holes. This is the age of magnets and hidden body mounts so I really wish they wouldn't punch the post holes.
They do this because Traxxas wants to lock you into their products AKA the Traxxas Trap. Hints why they don’t sell the Traxxas ID battery connectors. Good thing there’s a work around with that or else I,and many others, would be screwed.

Gotta love Traxxas ;)

SCX10ii Yota
TRX-4 Bronco
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I got anotha contendah!

Vaterra's 1972 Chevy Suburban Ascender...
Totally forgot about that one...the Proline Rockin Van falls into the pit also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
They do this because Traxxas wants to lock you into their products AKA the Traxxas Trap. Hints why they don’t sell the Traxxas ID battery connectors. Good thing there’s a work around with that or else I,and many others, would be screwed.

Gotta love Traxxas ;)
I think they all do it to some extent. Good thing there's an aftermarket we can go to.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote

They're almost here - '69 and '72 TRX-4 Blazer bodies! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM
TRX-4 Blazer or Blazer? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 4 10-23-2019 03:11 PM
TRX-4 Blazer JDM74 Videos! 0 06-23-2019 04:03 AM
Introducing the TRX-4 Blazer | Traxxas ussprinceton2004 Traxxas Crawlers 3 03-04-2019 09:22 PM
Trx 4 Brushless Blazer Mudflap84 Traxxas TRX-4 0 07-30-2017 12:36 PM