Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Paint and Body

Notices

Thread: How to Paint Tail Lights?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to Paint Tail Lights?

So my Capo JK came with clear plastic tail light covers, what’s the best red paint to get a realistic look? I assume you shoot your coats on the back side like painting a lexan body? So far I’ve found these two products, the second one is for real tail lights which I’m wondering about. Never done this before so thanks again for the help.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam86037.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How to Paint Tail Lights?

So its not lexan? If so you need to use the Tamiya TS paint meant for hard plastics. https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam85074.htm

These translucent paints take some patience, it takes many, many thin coats to do a good job. Dont even think about rushing these, a thick coat will simply run and wont actually build up any thicker.

They will start out looking pinkish with just a few coats so you need to do quite a few coats. I think I probably do 5-10 coats on each side, give it a quick light coat and go do something else for 15-20 minutes. I find setting a timer helps keep me on track.

My preferred method now is to paint both sides of the lenses simply because building up enough paint to look more red (less pink) is tough.

Oh and I like to roll up some painters tape with the sticky side out, stick the lenses to this then stick it to a box or something, otherwise they will just blow away.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-16-2020 at 10:32 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
So its not lexan? If so you need to use the Tamiya TS paint meant for hard plastics. https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tam85074.htm

These translucent paints take some patience, it takes many, many thin coats to do a good job. Dont even think about rushing these, a thick coat will simply run and wont actually build up any thicker.

They will start out looking pinkish with just a few coats so you need to do quite a few coats. I think I probably do 5-10 coats on each side, give it a quick light coat and go do something else for 15-20 minutes. I find setting a timer helps keep me on track.

My preferred method now is to paint both sides of the lenses simply because building up enough paint to look more red (less pink) is tough.

Oh and I like to roll up some painters tape with the sticky side out, stick the lenses to this then stick it to a box or something, otherwise they will just blow away.
No it’s not Lexan, the whole body is metal, and the headlight and tail lights are some kind of clear hard plastic. Thanks!
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya makes translucent red meant for painting tail lights but I’ve gotten basically the same results as the Tamiya paint using a red Sharpie on the inside of the lens.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Sharpie markers work great for doing the red and amber lights
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

I use the Tamiya transparent red paint, but I like the idea of the red Sharpie. Sharpie would be a lot simpler and less messy!

Great idea!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Maybe worth adding to this thread... For inside clear lenses I use those plastic faux adhesive-backed gem-stones/ rhinestones. They're available at craft stores or the craft-dept at Walmart. These are to simulate light-bulbs... clear/ orange/ red. Because they are facet-cut, they add a bit of shimmer in certain light/ at certain angles. I've also had really good results with adhesive-backed reflective tape inside of clear lenses and as stand-alone tail-lights and as third brake lights. I'm happy to post up some pics if anyone's interested.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

My vote is for Tamiya clear red and clear orange acrylic for the taillights. That’s Tamiya X27 (red) and Tamiya X26 (orange) bottle paint. Just brush it on, work fast so the brush strokes disappear.

There is equivalent spray cans of the same colors*

You can paint the inside of the lens but I think the outside is better. Be sure to use masking tape for a clear demarcation line between the two colors, if needed.
Undead Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Jeeper View Post
My vote is for Tamiya clear red and clear orange acrylic for the taillights. That’s Tamiya X27 (red) and Tamiya X26 (orange) bottle paint. Just brush it on, work fast so the brush strokes disappear.

There is equivalent spray cans of the same colors*

You can paint the inside of the lens but I think the outside is better. Be sure to use masking tape for a clear demarcation line between the two colors, if needed.
x2...that's what I use also. 2-3 coats on the inside, with ample curing time between. Shine a light through the back side to see if you have enough paint on them. Easy clean up also.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Slow is the new Fast

All the above advice is sound. I will spray a tinting paint if what I need to mask off is simple enough to accomplish. If the lens is very small and you have to mask off a tiny area for the reverse light then hand brushing is likely easier. I use an airbrush for my sprays, and am using either Faskolor or Mission paint.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

For me good ole fashion red nail polish. Works great and can still see the lights.
djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote

How to Paint Tail Lights? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with tail lights seedburns General Scale Talk 0 08-13-2017 12:37 PM
Tail lights and corner light paint??? BombShellRC Paint and Body 4 02-27-2017 05:20 PM