Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA Championship Series > Past RCCA qualifiers

Notices

Thread: The WCC Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Y-Town Crawlers

Default The WCC Experience

First off, WOW! I've never been to a bigger, tougher, crazier, or more competitive event... ever! Parker and company really stepped up the courses and the event as a whole was awesome. Huge thanks to my sponsors Losi, Spektrum, RCP Crawlers, Rocksmith engineering, and everyone else who made this event possible. Everyone who dragged their rigs up the mountain for the WCC left with memories that will last a lifetime.

So about those courses... We all know that Parker is a madman, but this year he really went all out. Water, mud, sand, cables, bridges, banners, and courses that made you drive 100 yards or more were just some of the challenges. Oh, and throw in a 6 minute time limit and some very inviting bonus lines and you have the WCC

After practicing on Friday, I knew I had to make a few changes to get my rig to where I wanted it. The rock at Donner Ski Ranch is tricky, it has tons of traction in places, and zero traction in other places. I slapped on a brand new set of Comp Claws and took an ounce out of each rear tire in hopes of finding a little more forward bite... and it worked! My Losi felt like it was glued to the rocks!

The level of competition at the WCC was just incredible. The best drivers in the US were there and putting up low scores all over the place. I drove pretty conservatively on day 1 and didn't attempt any bonuses, but I did finish all 4 courses with a total of -53 points. This put me solidly in 2nd place but just a few points ahead of some incredibly talented drivers.

Day 2 the courses were even tougher and I did my best just to keep putting in negative scores. Time management was huge and I watched several great drivers put in great runs only to time out just inches from the finish. I was definitely in the zone on Sunday and I took on the bonus lines on all 4 courses, netting me a score of -69, and a total of -122 for the weekend!

Going into the final 10 shootout, I knew I needed a good run. Grover and Kolby were only a few points behind me and any mistake could knock me out of the final 5 shootout. The course had a 3 minute time limit, and was absolutely brutal. I struggled a bit on gate 1, but managed to finish with just seconds to spare... keeping me in 2nd place.

The final 5 shootout course was awesome. It was a crazy combination of water, mud, bridges, boudaries, and crowds. I felt like the entire RC crawling community was watching when I stepped up to drive.

I ran a perfect -10 in the finals course and locked in my 2nd place finish. Jake H. was on his game all weekend and there was no chance for me to catch him. I might have had a shot had I been more aggressive on day 1, but even then he would have been tough to beat. He is a great driver and competitor, and I feel that he's stepped up his driving a lot too... oh well, time to practice more

All and all, it was one incredible weekend of wheeling at one of the coolest compsites in the world. I went into Donner on a mission, and I don't feel that I let anyone down. I wanted to show the world what the Losi rig was capable of and I wanted to honor my dad on the rocks the only way I know how. I know he was there watching too... I ran the 022 stickers all weekend and certainly felt like he was right there with me.

For now, I've got to figure out how to get all that mud off my rig and then its back to the rocks for more practice. The Vanquish LaGuerra en Rocas Rojo event in Colorado is two weeks away and the next battle is always just over the horizon...

-Jake

Last edited by Del Monte; 07-02-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Cool write up Jake!

She's not a bad 2nd place trophy!
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Congrats Jake! You have done all of your sponsors proud. Way to go
Old 07-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Congrats Jake! Awsome run at the WCC.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Keep Crawling in Crawling

Great Driving Jake!!!!! and Congrats on the second place!!!!! It was great to be able to compete with someone at your level and Becky and I are looking forward to competing with you again in a couple of weeks in Colorado.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Sr. Product Developer

Congrats Jake, thanks for representing

Rich
Old 07-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Congrats, well deserved, it was great running with you... See you in Sept.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yes, congrats Jake. I'm sure you made your dad proud.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's pretty obvious what happened here.. but can you give us a play by play?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thank you, Jake. It was an honor to watch you drive and there is no doubt in my mind that your Dad was right by your side watching his son "DO WORK"!

It means more to me than you'll ever know, that the AWCC played a part in one of your most emotional comps ever. A true professional on and off course. GREAT JOB!

See you soon, Parker
Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Jake, It was a great weekend hanging with you guys, when you said at the trophy tent you were dedicating this to your dad I think we all choked up a little thinking what that meant to you. Well done jake, you are a amazing competitor and a great guy, any father out there would be proud of a guy like you for a son!!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Those were 2 different course crossings, the first one didnt end up at the second one. Make sence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
It's pretty obvious what happened here.. but can you give us a play by play?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It was great competing with you all weekend! You are definitely a great driver and a fun competitor to go up against. I feel honored to have placed right behind you, See ya around
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Jake......... Pops was right there with you man!..... I think the contents of your front pocket had everything to do with your sucess!........

What can I say about your driving?........"mesmerizing".... you are such a technician on the course....its amazing!...You are a great guy both "on" the course as well as "off"....

Your Losi rig seemed unstoppable all weekend!...You definitely put to rest any doubts a shafty can't be competitive against an MOA rig....

You say you gotta get out to practice?.......My friend you just made 80+ other drivers have to go, back to school!!...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1\4elliptic toy View Post
Those were 2 different course crossings, the first one didnt end up at the second one. Make sence?
ahh ok. I thought he somehow ended up in the water and then drove himself out
Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

congrats jake, nice driving all weekend i'm sure your dad is proud of you no matter how you placed great finish though
Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Great job Jake, I had fun watching your runs. You are also just an all around nice guy, and the couple times I talked to you I was really impressed with how courteous and polite you were the entire weekend. Your a great ammbassador for the sport and your sponsors are really lucky to have you involved with there products. Hopefully we'll compete again together soon. congrats on your finish.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #18
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
ahh ok. I thought he somehow ended up in the water and then drove himself out
Actually, I did I fell off the bridge earlier in the day and didn't want to mess with it in the shootout, so I turned hard to the drivers side right off the bridge once I came off the drop. The water wasn't more then 4-5" deep so I just jammed through it.

The second pic was after gate 4 when you pretty much had to cross the water anyway Fun course...
Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Great driving Jake it was great meeting you!! The backup cv,s gave me some extra confidence i needed and thanks for the driving tips to
Old 07-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Great job Jake! Nice pics. Where did the water courses come from? Isn't the lake further down than where the comps are held?