Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA Championship Series > Past RCCA qualifiers

Notices

Thread: 2013 Westcoast Shootout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #501
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2013 Westcoast Shootout

Yeah, I liked being kept away from the course while others ran, but I wasn't a big fan of dropping all scores from the day. However, we all knew that's how it would be from the beginning of the day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
All that said I had a really good time playing toy trucks with everyone at the comp.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #502
I wanna be Dave

I have really enjoyed watching the scores and pics roll in from the shootout. My club will be hosting a USRCCA Qualifier and I am also very interested if we should have a finals course and what the format should be. I look forward to everyones insight.

Thanks, John
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #503
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default No complaints at all

The comp was well run, everyone knew the format going into it, organizers followed that format to the letter aside from having to come up with an impromptu tie breaker for the final (which all drivers agreed to) and a winner was decided. Great driving Don! Only suggestion here is to decide on all possible tie-breaker formats before the comp.

The "shootout" format required there be a shootout (per Rich). I like the no-look finals course. It was like a real shootout, you take 10 paces not seeing your opponent then turn and shoot. Last man standing wins. Way to go Don!

Was it somewhat disappointing that DWray fell behind in the final out of the trophies? Yes, because he drove his ass off and came up short. I can relate to his feelings (note my last two performances at Nationals...choke...gate!). Only the winner deserved to win. If DWray wouldn't have stroked it in pool play we'd not be having a lot of these discussions.

All that said. I don't like finals courses and second SDS's comments. I prefer 7 courses and let the best, most consistent driver win. But until I decide to man up and run a comp I can't complain about how anyone else runs their comp (to paraphrase Erik). Great comp gents. Congrats Don. Welcome to my club DWray...we just need to learn how to drive finals courses.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #504
RCC Addict

Every single one of those reply's is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Its the comments and input from you guys that will determine how future comps should be ran. Just from those few reply's I got a couple of idea's on how to improve on the overall winner. If I remember correctly we were done around 2:30 and I was only waiting on scores from the judges course's around the 3pm deadline. As efficient as the day went we could have easily ran 7 or maybe even squeezed in an 8th course (providing we could find judges). From the sound of it, all we REALLY need to do is keep the shootout course sequestered from all the drivers in contention instead of wiping scores to make guys happy. Im thinking West Coast SHOWDOWN instead of shootout for next time and keep scores from the day going into the last course. For this particular event we did want to give any one of the top 10 a legitimate chance at the title and thats how it went down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Because drivers and spotters were sequestered, then drivers not knowing their scores (or their competitors for that matter) for the shootout course placed no advantage or disadvantage to the running order.
Yes that was the reason for sequestered drivers BUT......... as you and I both know sometimes an over zealous fan may be guilty of a little hint now and then once he has seen previous drivers run. I myself am terrible at watching a guy drive and not accidentally shout out "try the left side". So to me (and this is just to me) I would think there may have been the tiniest advantage to running last. And besides that, how awesome would it be to have EVERYONE at the event, including the top 10 previous drivers, stand there and watch you put on a perfect run for the title in the last run of the day?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #505
RCC Addict

I would like to reinforce what Erik Dlux said, "a well organized event"! this is very true, you guys did an amazing job at keeping things going fluently, the camaraderie, the professionalism, and good sportsmanship were all there! the snacks and waters on the course tables, for everyone to enjoy, what a nice detail!
Not to mention all the goodies and awards handed out all weekend long, makes it feel the drivers efforts are well appreciated!

I really like the idea of more courses at this events. On course 4, Hoppa, 8-454, and myself where running drivers thru for about an hour. I really think that kinda thing, gives the day a much more relaxed feel, get the bulk of the people early. It seems to have set a good pace!

I would be more than happy to judge for you guys again, if you guys need the help, contributing to help all of us have more fun is at the top of my list!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #506
RCC Addict

thanks for all the input guys as it is very appreciated and things to take into consideration for any possible future events. I personally was wanting to step out of the box and try a few things different and having Jim's ideas along with our clubs support and ideas really helped in some decision making. we did research, read about other events, talked to drivers who have been to other USRCCA events, I had only been to 1 USRCCA event before this so I really was after input. little things like the snacks and details always seem to make a difference.

Juan you are absolutely correct about making the drivers feel appreciated and judges as well. because no matter how much we do on our end without all you guys it wouldnt amount to a hill of beans
Old 03-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #507
2006 2.2 National Champ

Highlight video is up!
Video - 2013 West Coast Shootout
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #508
Quarry Creeper

nice video Brad, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #509
RCC Addict

very nice Brad thanks for taking the time to make the video and share with all of us
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #510
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Sweet Vid! I guess my crawling wasn't that great to make the video.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #511
RCC Addict

Is there going to be a 2014 WCS?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #512
RCC Addict

Unfotunately not this year Juan.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #513
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post

this is SAD to hear ........
I as well as many others im sure were looking forward to this comp
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #514
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yep.

IMO, best run comp of the year or maybe that I have ever been to?

Hopefully somebody, anybody does a west coast qualifier this year......
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #515
RcBros Hobbies

Sucks to hear this, spent a weekend over in eastern oregon and drove over 900 miles looking for a suitable comp spot with no luck. We have several in Western Oregon/Washington, but I fear that if rain were to hit, the comp would be ruined. So I'm torn.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #516
Rock Crawler

Got any hard-core jeep & rock-buggy clubs near that area? Bet they'd know where the rocks are.

Maybe you can find a local on Pirate4x4.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #517
Rock Crawler

i dont think anyone realizes how hard (LOTS OF EFFORT) to throw such a gathering....hands down the best comp.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #518
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Got any hard-core jeep & rock-buggy clubs near that area? Bet they'd know where the rocks are.

Maybe you can find a local on Pirate4x4.
Yes I'm one of them. I research for about a month before I took my trip. What is needed to run a successful comp is not there.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #519
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
That sucks. At least there's always....
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #520
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sad to know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Yep.

IMO, best run comp of the year or maybe that I have ever been to?

Hopefully somebody, anybody does a west coast qualifier this year......
I feel the same way about the event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
That sucks. At least there's always....
Hope for next year...

2013 Westcoast Shootout - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 pcc ? sococrawler Past RCCA qualifiers 28 07-14-2013 11:01 AM
4cRc² 2013 ----- SCORES ------ meffie New Mexico 5 02-23-2013 07:28 PM
2013 Dodge Challenger RT Plus Grumpster1980 Chit Chat 27 10-12-2012 08:09 PM
2013 mustang ad Slowbro Chit Chat 14 02-25-2012 08:44 PM