Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Pennsylvania

Notices

Thread: Lehigh Valley crawlers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #1

Smile Lehigh Valley crawlers...

I heard a rumor that the new owner of HobbyTown in Whitehall, is starting or thinking about starting a non-competition crawling Club. I know that he and his employees have started to build a small crawling course inside the store. Stop by and check it out, bring your own truck and try it out, or pick up a crawler if you don't have one. He seems like a nice guy, so stop by and let him know if you'd be interested in participating. This may be the beginning of a great way for crawlers in the ABE area to get together.

**As a side not, I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH HOBBYTOWN! I just thought I would share this info, because this would be another great way for crawling enthusiasts to meet up and crawl new areas, or maybe for first timers to crawl outside their backyard / neighborhoods. AND I have no clue if he is active on forums, so word of mouth may be the only way to spread this.

Edit: It occurred to me that I may have implied he was building and entire course inside l the store. I believe he is only going to build a few obstacles to showcase / demo products. Any real crawling expeditions will occur at locations OUTSIDE the store. OBVIOUSLY there isn't enough room for 10+ people to crawl around and have fun, inside his store, on only a handful of obstacles.

Last edited by BigRedBlazer; 11-06-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot... ;)
BigRedBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Lehigh Valley crawlers...

I'll have to run up there. What size rigs is the course built for? Whitehall isn't too bad of a drive for me.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

I'd be in! I'll have to check it out

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
clodzilla319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Will need to check this out.

Wes
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
I'll have to run up there. What size rigs is the course built for? Whitehall isn't too bad of a drive for me.
Trucks with a 1.9 or 2.2 tire I'd guess would be best. Smaller trucks may have trouble crawling the rocks to gain access to the ramp. Once on the ramp, anything that can grip can climb up. I'd guess the front face is a 40 degree incline?

Last edited by BigRedBlazer; 11-06-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The new owner is pretty awesome, way better then the previous guy. He said they were looking to stock more crawler related parts and other things too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapascrap
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #7

Last time I was in there the RC selection was horrible. Do they have anything besides a couple of Traxxas RTRs?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Last time I was in there the RC selection was horrible. Do they have anything besides a couple of Traxxas RTRs?
They have several dozen different kits and RTRs. Plus planes, copters, drones. AND wheels, tires, batteries / chargers. Not sure how bad it used to be (sounds like all the stories of the previous owner letting the store die are true), but its decent now, and has gotten better in the last 2 months alone...
Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Can I get a little clarification here.

So hobbytown which I thought sucked was located near the Lehigh Valley mall next to the Babies R' US and the guitar store, either closed or went out of business? Or did they move?

Now there is a new Hobbytown located in Whitehall? Lehigh Valley Mall is also in Whitehall Twp. Which is why I am confused. I really just ignored the google maps listings assuming that it was the old closed down store.

I'd love to have a LHS with some crawling parts in it, trains and lanes just sucks ars. They made it worse when they moved all the parts down a blocked off isle, you cant even browse. If you don't know exactly what part you need good luck.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Can I get a little clarification here.

So hobbytown which I thought sucked was located near the Lehigh Valley mall next to the Babies R' US and the guitar store, either closed or went out of business? Or did they move?

Now there is a new Hobbytown located in Whitehall? Lehigh Valley Mall is also in Whitehall Twp. Which is why I am confused. I really just ignored the google maps listings assuming that it was the old closed down store.

I'd love to have a LHS with some crawling parts in it, trains and lanes just sucks ars. They made it worse when they moved all the parts down a blocked off isle, you cant even browse. If you don't know exactly what part you need good luck.

I have no idea if they recently moved to their current location, or if they've been there a while. I BELIEVE they have been there a while. The store is located across the street from Sears. A NEW guy bought the store back in JUNE (?), and has really turned it around. The previous owner (from what I've heard), was not stocking any inventory and was possibly unpleasant to customers, causing them to not return. This led to an empty store with no product, and no customers. This is not the case now. Friendly people, a variety of trucks, etc... Obviously it will take a while to turn the store around completely, but it seems like its off to a good start. If you're wanting to get a crawler, Friday is the time! Big discounts early in the morning, including on-sale and clearance priced stuff! I might have to take a "lunch break" from work and get another LiPo battery, some beadlocks, and tires!

https://www.hobbytown.com/whitehall-pa/l65

https://m.facebook.com/HobbyTownUSAWhitehall/

Last edited by BigRedBlazer; 11-21-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yea the store moved to the other side of MacArthur road about a year ago. The old owner wasn't necessarily unpleasant, but the previous staff was quite questionable. Either way it's a world better then it was previously.

They are over in the plaza where sports authority was along the back of the strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapascrap
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Looks like I need to finish my scx10 and go over to hobbytown.

Trains gets a little bit better if they know you, but if you don't know the part number they don't even try and help you find out what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

Being in Pottsville area, both Hobbytowns are the same distance away. This one mentioned here is great. Sinking springs is ok for planes but trucks are extremely limited.

I don't know when it changed ownership, but love the selection. Heading there today but my SCX10 is not complete or i would've brought it.
Brisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #14

Well bad news. Store is closing in whitehall. Good news is 50% off parts so get them while you can. 25% off rtr and kits as well.

New owner didn't last long. A shame as this one was actually a good store.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
Well bad news. Store is closing in whitehall. Good news is 50% off parts so get them while you can. 25% off rtr and kits as well.

New owner didn't last long. A shame as this one was actually a good store.

Is this one one that way near Sports Authority?
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazwewn View Post
Is this one one that way near Sports Authority?
Yes that's the one.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #17

That store has sucked for a long time.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #18
RCC Addict

the whole mark up the product then mark it down to MSRP marketing confuses me and made me not want to do business there.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:04 PM   #19

Safe to say that the vast majorty of retail stores suck. I really don't know what this store was like in the past but recently it was one of the better ones I've been in from PA Delaware and Maryland.

Still, I walked out with $80 in oddball stuff for $40. So it's worth going for the discount.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #20

^^^ I did the same thing today. Sad to hear but they are closing up shop. I bought Lipo batteries and an LED light bar on the CHEAP! I would guess they will be closed permanently at the end of the month. If you need random stuff go now!!! I waited too long and now the place is almost gutted empty...

Lehigh Valley crawlers... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lehigh Valley Area? CubanCrawler Pennsylvania 2 10-22-2016 05:15 PM
lehigh valley scalers tretiak Pennsylvania 6 12-30-2014 11:13 AM
Lehigh Valley Thread PYRO31888 Pennsylvania 25 07-15-2010 06:47 AM
Looking for a GTG in poconos or Lehigh valley rickbierman Pennsylvania 10 02-20-2010 03:01 AM
Looking fo a shop around the lehigh Valley area. ubecrew610 Pennsylvania 10 01-19-2010 03:36 PM