RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Rally (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/)
-   -   Tamiya MF-01X Beetle (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/602382-tamiya-mf-01x-beetle.html)

Steve Hipsley 09-20-2018 08:27 AM

Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Has anyone built one of these for rally use? Thinking about pulling the trigger on one......

haplm 09-29-2018 11:02 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
I believe I have seen few, of course with some modifications...

chuckatruck 10-05-2018 08:51 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
I have the jimny version that I Locke the diffs on for crawling . But I want to unlock them and put the Suzuki Swift body on it for rally

Steve Hipsley 10-05-2018 02:36 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckatruck (Post 5873707)
I have the jimny version that I Locke the diffs on for crawling . But I want to unlock them and put the Suzuki Swift body on it for rally

Is it a fun build? Love the look of the Beetle Rally. Don't think I'll go crazy with power I'll probably use the stock Tamiya motor and the ESC it comes with. First thing I'll get is better shocks.

OSRC 10-06-2018 08:29 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
I started with a Jimny, then converted it to on road. It's much more at home on pavement imo. Imagine the Beetle rally would be a blast. Pavement and light gravel only though, there's not a ton of ground clearance.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4417/...e8d38451_b.jpg

It's like a short TL01 with reversed rear gearbox and a Tamiya mini suspension grafted on.

Steve Hipsley 10-06-2018 08:32 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Can it handle brushless? I've got an old Tekin Redline 13.5.....

chuckatruck 10-09-2018 07:39 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
I had mine setup for crawling and it did well for what it was but the 55 turn motor would be smokin in 30 minutes trying to spin rc4wd 1.55 mtz’s. I had to take those tires off because the motor burnt my son when he picked it up.

OSRC 10-09-2018 09:55 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley (Post 5873965)
Can it handle brushless? I've got an old Tekin Redline 13.5.....

Should be no problem. It has big wide gears that can hold up to a 1/10 scale buggy. Way overkill for a mini

Steve Hipsley 06-18-2020 12:26 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
What shocks? The kit comes with friction shocks and Iím not seeing any hop ups that I can buy in USA. Is there a Tamiya shock that fits?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OSRC 06-19-2020 07:27 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Tamiya CVA super mini shocks. There's a set for the TT02 that fits perfectly and is a bit cheaper for some reason than the standard super mini pack. Horizon has them in stock.

Steve Hipsley 06-26-2020 08:57 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6029994)
Tamiya CVA super mini shocks. There's a set for the TT02 that fits perfectly and is a bit cheaper for some reason than the standard super mini pack. Horizon has them in stock.


Thanks man. Funny I just bought a set of those for a TT02 Iím getting ready to build. Thanks for the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaotic_life 10-29-2020 04:32 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Not to hijack and resurrect this thread, but I love how interchangeable Tamiya's stuff is. Sometimes its a little frankenstien-y, but that just adds to the charm. I'm just getting back into RC after a decade long break, and I recognize all sorts of parts on it from other kits.

OSRC 10-29-2020 07:38 AM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Tamiya is sometimes like the Lego of the RC world. The G601, GF01, TL01, MF01, TB01, M03, M04, M05, and a few others can all swap suspensions and a few other parts. Makes for some fun setups!

Portals on the MF01? Sure! Wide track mini? No problem! Narrow track TL? Go for it! Buggy arms on an M04? Sure!

Portaled TL, wide track MF01X, and a Rally Beetle which is what kicked off the thread. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/Hn4Z0KcB/20200525-143715sm.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/wxszstZP/20200216-141351sm.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W38P79fv/20190121-112734.jpg

Steve Hipsley, did you ever build one up?

chaotic_life 10-29-2020 12:38 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Niiice. Yeah, I very much agree with the lego analogy!

Steve Hipsley 06-14-2021 01:04 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 6050612)
Tamiya is sometimes like the Lego of the RC world. The G601, GF01, TL01, MF01, TB01, M03, M04, M05, and a few others can all swap suspensions and a few other parts. Makes for some fun setups!

Portals on the MF01? Sure! Wide track mini? No problem! Narrow track TL? Go for it! Buggy arms on an M04? Sure!

Portaled TL, wide track MF01X, and a Rally Beetle which is what kicked off the thread. :)
https://i.postimg.cc/Hn4Z0KcB/20200525-143715sm.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/wxszstZP/20200216-141351sm.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/W38P79fv/20190121-112734.jpg

Steve Hipsley, did you ever build one up?


I actually just ordered one! Tower has them on sale right now so I went for it. $121 shipped. I have two TT02ís Iím building then this will be next. Canít wait to get started.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJoe 06-18-2021 04:09 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley (Post 6084484)
I actually just ordered one! Tower has them on sale right now so I went for it. $121 shipped. I have two TT02ís Iím building then this will be next. Canít wait to get started.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I've got one of the MF-01x Jimny's that now has the GF-01Tr portals on it, then took that GF-01 I sourced those from and built it with the WR-02 Wild Willy body on it, even was able to use the WR-02 kit to supply some of the parts needed to complete the GF-01 "non-Tr" conversion and plan on keeping it for the parts, since they share so many parts for being so different......I'm pretty sure there are parts on these that will fit my M-03 Mini Cooper too.......:shock:

Tossedman 06-18-2021 05:35 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BJoe (Post 6084933)
I've got one of the MF-01x Jimny's that now has the GF-01Tr portals on it, then took that GF-01 I sourced those from and built it with the WR-02 Wild Willy body on it, even was able to use the WR-02 kit to supply some of the parts needed to complete the GF-01 "non-Tr" conversion and plan on keeping it for the parts, since they share so many parts for being so different......I'm pretty sure there are parts on these that will fit my M-03 Mini Cooper too.......:shock:

Cool! Got any pics? Would love to see it. I'm tempted to buy the Tamiya MF-01X Beetle as well. Portals on it might be interesting.

OnTheTrail 06-18-2021 05:48 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Hipsley (Post 6084484)
Tower has them on sale right now so I went for it. $121 shipped.

Thanks for the sale alert. Just had mine delivered yesterday from Tower! Should be a cool project. Not sure when I'll get to it but I couldn't pass up that price. Got a set of bearings from Amain for the build as well.

BJoe 06-18-2021 06:18 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tossedman (Post 6084940)
Cool! Got any pics? Would love to see it. I'm tempted to buy the Tamiya MF-01X Beetle as well. Portals on it might be interesting.


Better yer, I have a whole thread8)
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...-revision.html


Still haven't posted completion pics yet (shooting those tomorrow), but I also have a thread on what I did with the Monster Beetle GF-01 that I used to kit bash the portals from and the Wild Willy parts to"thumbsup"


http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...ml#post6066905

Tossedman 06-18-2021 06:40 PM

Re: Tamiya MF-01X Beetle
 
Excellent! Thank you sir!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com