Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Bully axle build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Web Wheeling

Default RC4WD Bully axle build up

I'll be testing a set of RC4WD's new bully axles very soon, just waiting for them to ship.

So to start the build off, I drew up a basic chassis and skid plate after work and fired up the CNC router. Next thing you know, I have a little Delrin chassis with what I hope is enough adjustment to find the sweet spot for these axles. I took a guess at where the shocks will mount on the axles and built the chassis to use 3.5" shocks. The side plates are a little thin at 0.090", but that is what I had available. The axial braces stiffened up the chassis quite a bit, good enough for testing. I'll order up some 0.125" Delrin for the final side plates, once I determine where the upper links should mount.

For those wondering about the lower link clearance, I will be bending them to clear the motors.

Going to rebuild the shocks this week, paint the body and bolt up some body posts to the chassis. Once the axles arrive I will make some links and mount the body. The last thing will be to lay out the electronics and wire the motors and dig up.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Nice chassis. I am thinking of getting a set of those axles...so I will be watching your thread
SULFUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm subscribed ! good luck with the build. These axles look great, I hope they can outperform the bergs. Do these axles use AX10 offset rims ?
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Great, it will be good to get an experienced opinion on these axles.

I like the chassis, I'm going to have to talk to mu wife about one of the those CNC routers!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Web Wheeling

Thanks

Rebuilt the shocks, and picked up some new springs and shock clips as well. Used some of that green slime from Associated, hopefully they will not leak now. Also picked up some stainless steel countersunk bolts at the hobby shop, really cleaned up the lower skid plate bolts. But of course they did not have any long enough for my lower links.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Watching!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
Web Wheeling

Mocked up a TLT axle to check the shock mounting and cycle the suspension a bit.... Shocks need to be pushed out about half a inch if I am going to run a 12.5" wheel base. I could run longer shocks to fix it, but I will just cut new side plates this weekend. Probably would have helped if I had measured my axle shock spacing as I run the same length of shocks on that.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I will definately be watching this build, I am testing these axles as well, and will be doing a build thread for them too.:-P...Can't wait to see what you do with this, your work is always great...what is this cnc router that is the new rave? Links to it? Thanks
jeeper_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Web Wheeling

I work with a couple mid size CNC routers, not something for the hobby room. Though some companys do make benchtop cnc routers for a few grand.

Ended up cutting a new set of sideplates today, pushing the shock mounts out further. Also made some delrin crossmembers and a lexan radio tray. I am happy with the changes I made, and will be ready to make the links and bolt up the axles early next week when the axles show up

Going to wash the body and mask it off tonight, will paint it tomorrow. Might pick up the dig switches and servo this weekend and start on that as well. But I want to wait to do the wiring till the axles are bolted up.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Did you by chance cut an extra chassis by accident?

Looking good. Paint that body up nice.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Looks good Mike, I'm really interested in the result of the testing on the Bullies right now they look pretty darn awesome.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Web Wheeling

Axles are in! I got to work on building links right away, I will tear the axles down and make a gear ratio chart later this week. I also want to put locktite on all of the bolts before this weekends comp. Ohh and the first thing I noticed, the axles are very heavy! I am sure those thick stainless steel axle shafts and solid steel gears are the reason for this. Just on weight alone I feel confident that they will hold up well. I don't think the weight is a bad thing either, being that it is low in the axles.

I bolted the shocks on first, then drilled a quick wheel base jig to lay out the links. I started with the uppers, and will be making some slightly longer ones most likely. I was also lazy and only made 3 of the 4... Found one old link that worked up top

Once the shocks and uppers were in place, I measured out what I needed for my lower links. I took a shot in the dark at how long to make them, to compensate for the bends. Some how I nailed it

Once it was out of the jig I put some wheels on it, and measured the belly clearance... It was nealy 4 inches So I removed the shock clips to let it drop down a little, which did help. But I wanted it to sit a little lower yet, so I moved the shocks to the lower mounting point on the axles. This put me right at 3 inches, I am happy with that for now. Of course in doing this, my wheel base grew on me. So I am going to have to cut the links down a bit, no big deal though.

Need to set my body posts, then I am going to work on wiring up the motors and electronics tonight. I also need to figure out how I am going to mount the servo, as there is no servo mount for the axles yet.

First sitting next to my Axial comp rig. You can see the axle clearance is improved, and the body is sitting even lower as well.

Bully picking on my Axial, you can see with the current wheel setup they are pretty close on track width. I have RC4WD rims on the Axial, Eritex on the Bully.

side view, body on shot. Sorry for the crappy pics, I need to change the settings on my camera. I changed the lightbulbs, and the workbench isn't lit up as well as it was before.

Belly clearance shot

Motor clearance shots, sitting flat and flexed left and right.

And the side to side play shots, I am sure this will be fixed in the final version. I am going to either drill a new hole lower on the mount for now, or machine a delrin replacement.

More pics once the electronics are wired up. Post up if you have any questions on these axles, I'll do my best to answer them.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So do the bully axles use the same offset rim as the axials ??? Please abuse these things as hard as you can, I need to know if they can handle it ! "it" meaning a 3s lipo and my driving style. which has been described as violent,to say the least.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

They look beefy, Not sure about that upper link mount?

Is it possible to get a shot of the internals when you tear into the axles?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Mike is there any clocking on those axles? The shocks are kinda square to the axles. They look pretty darn good in pictures I hope to see them this week end.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
Web Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
So do the bully axles use the same offset rim as the axials ??? Please abuse these things as hard as you can, I need to know if they can handle it ! "it" meaning a 3s lipo and my driving style. which has been described as violent,to say the least.
Axial offset rims will work great with these axles. I will be running them on a 3 cell lipo, mamba max, and setup for wheel speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
They look beefy, Not sure about that upper link mount?

Is it possible to get a shot of the internals when you tear into the axles?
I am going to do my best to make sure the upper link mount is changed, might machine one myself to incorporate a servo mount.

Was planning on taking a few shots of the internals when I tear into them later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Mike is there any clocking on those axles? The shocks are kinda square to the axles. They look pretty darn good in pictures I hope to see them this week end.

The axles are clocked, though could use maybe a little more? I am going to clock the rear axle up more using some longer upper links. The bottom of the motor appears to sit inline with the center of the axle.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Steering shots!

Axle Clocking?

Check the gears for lube before you run them.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

^ X2 I was just about to ask about the axle clocking.
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I too am curious about the CVD strength and steering angle. They look great so far. My Raptor 2.2 is in need of replacement..
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

Got my motors wired up, so I will take some pictures of the motor clocking and steering angle now.

Ran into a problem with my old DX3 radio, the 3p switch only works in one direction. Trying to trouble shoot that now, will probably end up running my old FM radio.