Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Culetto's '09 Bully Comp Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Culetto's '09 Bully Comp Rig

Well the bullys came the other day. I have been frantically trying to get them mounted so i could run them this weekend and break them in. I have the mounted up now but the electronics need to all be moved around and tucked lower. I have been wanting these since august when RC4WD announced them and the first proto testers went out. These are worth the wait.

Kamikaze Kustoms Zero 4.0 chassis
RC4WD Bully Comp axles
Novak 55t motors
HSR 5990 robot servo on 7v
Castle Sidewinder and BEC
Front and Rear dig
Vanquish DH Pro Comps
HPI Rock Grabbers

First some axle pics

6mm Shafts all the way around and CVD's on the front. These are all beef. The M3 screw is in there for refrence.

Brass bushings support the knuckles. More beef here. And stock high clearance knuckles.

Excellent machining all around. All gears supported by metal shielded bearings.

6mm thick gears. I dont imagine even as rough as i am on my rigs ill ever strip one. Wont need a spare set in the pit box for these. Final drive gear switches to 32p for durability and ..... more beef.

Last edited by Culetto; 12-20-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Some more pics

Clearance is tight on these because the gearbox is swollen with the large gears. Shocks and lower links are mounted to the outside of the mounts (which are threaded, nice touch there)

Looks like plenty of room for the servo but its actually very compact. Not to small just have to be accurate when working out servo mounting.

Upper link mount is nice. No more ball link there like in the proto's and i didnt have to adjust any of my link lengths from the hot racing axles.

Nice ground clearance to the gearbox. 2.1 inches to the tubes and 1.8 inches on the gearbox.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Killer steering angle. I have to limit my endpoints because these will turn right into the shocks. If you run a smaller tire or a wider chassis where you can slim the shocks down its even better. This is better than my Hot Racing axles even after the drive cups were ground down.

Forgot to post this earlier. The pinions these come with are great. More beef. I didnt count the teeth though. Gearing is taller than my old axles so a little more wheelspeed. Nice so far in carpet testing.

Simple angle aluminum servo mount. Fits in there perfectly. Steering link is Kamikaze Kustoms kut down to fit and the notch is used as a servo guard and gives it perfect clearance.

Upper is SSteel custom, again i love the clearance.

Testing starts tommorow. I'll post updates next week.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

Can you get some pics of the angles the cvd's are capable of? EDIT!You beat me to it!!

Nice looking build!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice build interested how this combo does.
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Good job so far!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Key Word = BEEFY

They look & sound very solid. Good luck with them.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

First day on the rocks with these. I'll post up some pictures later when i can but a few notes for anyone reading.

They are very scratch resistant but not impervious to damage. Where we ran today is an odd mix of more dense lava rock. Very abrasive. The axles held up well in this.

I did end up with some moderate clown wheels as others have. I believ however this is due to the stock hexes. The notches on the back for the pin arent as deep as i would have thought. I think this causes them to have a little more leverage at the wheel and hence bend. If anyone can chime in from RC4WD and let us all know when more axle shafts will be in stock for spares?

Oh and one more thing, as with all metal axles .....

THREADLOCK
Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

whats the track width? do these things use regular ax10 offset wheels?
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
whats the track width? do these things use regular ax10 offset wheels?
Yup. They are almost identical. 7.6 inches to the hex faces so standard axial width with whatever rims you like. I didn't change the spacers on my DH comps when i put them on from the hot racing axles and they are right where i want them.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

how thick are the inner axles??
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Inner axles are 6mm thick. See the posted pic of the axle next to the M3 screw for comparison.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Looks good so far. Post those action pics for us!
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The action shots are lost in limbo but it didnt crawl like i wanted so i tore it down. I tried a couple different chassis i had..... wasnt happy.....i even fabricated a torsion style backbone (the locked wheelbase i really liked but in 2.2 it just wouldnt flex due to how short it was). So i hit the hardware store. Alot of cutting, grinding, swearing, and pissing off my girlfriend and her cat and ..... shazaam!

I'll probably switch back to the KK 4.0 and use this on my HR's if i dont sell them, but i had always wanted to build a backbone style chassis and was just motivated enough to actually finish it. I'll practice a bit with this and see how it goes. One thing i like is with the backbone and the torsion chassis you can actually get full steering out of the bullys. They will crank over more than any other axle on the market, endpoint adjustments are your friends.

Last edited by Culetto; 12-26-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Oh and a little note to the other Bully owners out there. Your lower link/shock mounts can be flipped over to help move the springs, links, wheelbase, as needed. Its pretty handy
Old 12-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Question motor suggestions......

hey culetto,How are these bully axles geared? how are the 55Ts ? does it have enough wheel speed ? I was thinking about a 45T or 35T set of motors. Any suggestions ???
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

stock pinions and 55t novaks on 3s lipo. Good wheelspeed and crawling. I might drop down to a higher turn motor in the future since my new fixed wb chassis like slow much better. On a sprung or droop setup stock pinions and 55t is nice.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:09 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default Id go with 35 turns if wheel speed is what u are in search of

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
hey culetto,How are these bully axles geared? how are the 55Ts ? does it have enough wheel speed ? I was thinking about a 45T or 35T set of motors. Any suggestions ???
I just got my bully rig together yesterday. I was running 55t's and a 3s li-po. It had wheel speed but I was use to more on my berg. Today I switched out my 55T's for 35T's. I am very pleased with the results. Torque and speed. Woo hoo.
Stick King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

thanks for the info, StIcK kInG. What motor are you using, basic Integy lathe motors ?
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Well i couldnt get the backbone style to work at all. Im not actually sure how they ever worked since the axle walk is so bad the rig tries to eat itself on any kind of sidehilling. Oh well, experiement done im back to working on something else. Just figured i would post up the new body for it while its under construction.

All custom vinyl applied under the shell and painted over.

One of those Venom under body paint graphics. Didnt turn out as well as i hoped but this body is too angular for these.

I need to buy some better vinyl since the paint bled under in some places but now that i know it works so well ill get some and the little misses will work themselves out.

Last edited by Culetto; 01-02-2009 at 03:38 PM.