Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully Comp 2.2 axles. what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bully Comp 2.2 axles. what do you think?

hi i am in the middle of getting ready to start building my custom berg based crawler and was going to use a set of berg axles but after seeing the bully axles i am wondering if these would be better. they look like there are built better and i like how the front stearing goes with the xvd instead of dog bones. any thoughs about using these?

also if some one can tell me what the width of the berg axles based on the messerments on the site its the third picture down

http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=846

thanks

Last edited by rc-guy; 12-21-2008 at 05:44 PM.
rc-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Berg axles with appropriate wheels will have a better scrub radius.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Berg axles are wheely king width and Bully axles are Axial width .If that puts it in any better perspective sorry about the no measurements , my Berg axles with wk offset wheels are 10" outside of rim to outside of rim.
vn1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Bully Comps are 7.6 inches. Almost identical to axial ax10 axles. I have a set now in testing and they seem to be doing well so far.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-guy View Post
are built better and i like how the front stearing goes with the xvd instead of dog bones
I think you basically answered your question there.

A few things that come to mind for me would be durability, parts avalibility, greater wheel variations, good customer service etc.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Bully's built better than Bergs? How can you state that without any testing being done on the Bully's. They've just been released and do not have the hours of hard testing on them.

It's too early to think the Bullys are either built better or have some advantage yet.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm new to the berg scene and I'm still going through the beginning stages of getting all the performance I can out of them. This involves clocking the axle, modifying the steering to get more out of it, custom wheels to account for the width, loctite all the screws, etc. If the Bully's are as durable as the bergs then I'd go w/ the Bully's. The Bully's seem to have all the initial modificaitons accounted for. And if it uses standard vs. metric gears then I may just get a set myself and sell the bergs.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Bully's built better than Bergs? How can you state that without any testing being done on the Bully's. They've just been released and do not have the hours of hard testing on them.

It's too early to think the Bullys are either built better or have some advantage yet.
Simmer down, I have yet to hear one complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
I'm new to the berg scene and I'm still going through the beginning stages of getting all the performance I can out of them. This involves clocking the axle, modifying the steering to get more out of it, custom wheels to account for the width, loctite all the screws, etc. If the Bully's are as durable as the bergs then I'd go w/ the Bully's. The Bully's seem to have all the initial modificaitons accounted for. And if it uses standard vs. metric gears then I may just get a set myself and sell the bergs.
Binaryterror is correct though. ( not proven yet ) They appear to be better than burg axles.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Right now its proven the Berg's are the better, they've won comps and their problems are known and out there (use axial Stub axles and use loc-tite before running).

Bully's are unknowns. Even stating their XVD is better is a joke, take a peak as previous XVD's RC4WD has released...any of them fixed yet? RC4WD is RC4WD they haven't changed.

I hope to be proven wrong, but history teahces us many things.

Last edited by binaryterror; 12-22-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

the BERG is the shizznitz! lol , just kidding, only time will tell at this point, although not alot of people are using the bullys, as more people use them, people will figure out the weak point and think of a solution to fox it. It is much like when the berg was first released. It is just now that people are using it to the fullest.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

Its ok man. I don't know what your beef is with RC4WD yet I do know this is a non-biased opinionated thread.
limited77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited77 View Post
Its ok man. I don't know what your beef is with RC4WD yet I do know this is a non-biased opinionated thread.
Testing on the new Bullys : Roborg's AKRCC Deimos / Berg
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

mm both side are = with there points ...lol making this harder to pick. i do like the berg axles and the fact parts are easy to get and that the axial parts are shared but like the way the bullies look and the way they are made. to add the only reason im even looking at the bullies is because i dont like being like every one else out there, copy cat, but if it's not broke don't fix it. i like to makeing things myself i am making a tube chassis for what ever 2.2 twin motor i build and will be running panther tires on it still desiding on motors. 50 rear 45 front or lower. as fare as links go will be making them to using stock ones as templates. wheels will be DH ProComp and will use a tekin speed controler

thanks for the replys guy and helping make this harder to deside but i think maybe i will stick with the bergs for know .. i just think the bullys in time will be beter suited
Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Just remember with the bergs you can only run one offset on your wheels to keep your track under 10 inches. If you dont mind that then it doesnt really matter which one you run. I prefer running wider in the front and narrower in the back for angling out of gates. But its all in preference. I like the Hot Racing axles and the Bully's. But i wouldnt throw a set of bergs away either, its all in the prefrence.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

With all the different offset beadlocks you can get now. You can't really say which is better. The Bully's out weight the Bergs. So if you like the idea of heavier axles. The Bullys fit that. If you already have some beadlocks from an old Ax-10 build. Then your good to choose the Bullys. But if your starting from nothing. Either way is a good choice. Both axles are nice. The Bullys will hold there own and see many Wins in 2009. It all depends on the set up and driver. I plan on building both and keeping both. I may sell one off later down the road.

Just buy looking and tearing into both axles. The Bullys Win. The machining and finish is top notch and above the Bergs. The Bullys make the Bergs look like a step above Wal-Mart Grade. The Bullys had alot of input from some of the Top members here on RCC. They just didn't get lucky on the design like OCM/Enroute did.

Like I said you can't go wronf with either on.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

yeah these are the rim i will be going with and will be able to pick an offset of choise

Old 12-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

RC-Guy: My buddy XJ Farmer has those. With even the narrowest offset allowed on a Berg they are still wide. His with the same foams/tires (Panthers) he comes in at 10.5" while mine with the DNA Sniper Berg Offsets I'm at 10.125".

Not a huge difference of course, but it does matter to some.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Berg axles with appropriate wheels will have a better scrub radius.
Scrub radius comes in to play at speed. It translates through upper and lower control arm points. Last I checked a Berg has zero offset at the knuckle. IE no camber adjustment. So then the only other effect of Scrub radius has to do with wheel offset. That means a wheel with positive offset or a Berg offset narrowing track width only helps to create more leverage from the servo. I run a 200 oz. servo and dont seem to have a problem with it returning my wheels to center. Not to mention if your already involved in crawling you already have a set of Axial offset wheels laying around. So then you don't need to buy another set. Or if you want to get real retarded buy a set of Bully axles that are almost an inch narrower, then buy a set of Berg offset rims and than you will have a better SCRUB RADIUS and a narrower track width.

I'm not bashing Burg axles it's just that you need to cut and chop them right out of the box. And they are too wide.

RC4WD is trying to fix that and give you an axle that you can just bolt up and go.

Last edited by hitman46mod; 12-22-2008 at 02:05 PM.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman46mod View Post
Or if you want to get real retarded buy a set of Bully axles that are almost an inch narrower, then buy a set of Berg offset rims and than you will have a narrower track width.
Except the Wheel/Tire would then hit the shocks, Links and Motor.

RC4WD's Bully's might be great, but lets see someone test them and win with them at a Comp...there are some coming up like Motorama.

Shouldn't this be in the Bully/RC4WD forum?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Except the Wheel/Tire would then hit the shocks, Links and Motor.

RC4WD's Bully's might be great, but lets see someone test them and win with them at a Comp...there are some coming up like Motorama.

Shouldn't this be in the Bully/RC4WD forum?
i thinks that my question was fine to post in this forum i received the answers i was looking for guess i shouldn't post any more on here :-(