Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully Axle Fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
RC Axle Master

Default Bully Axle Fix

Ok everyone running Bully axles knows that I am not happy with what has been happening with the axles coming from RC4WD. There is an easy fix and it is to have the material changed from what ever stainless is being used to either 4130 or 4140.

I had a set made up out of 4140 and have ran them the last 3 weekends with no clowning or breaking. I added 2mm's to the thread and all my wheels work with the axles now. You can even run them with the V1 hex with the 5mm washer behind them. I did make some changes that have shown up on the V2 axles but other then that they almost look like a V1.

I am not selling axles and just hoping RC4WD will take note and do such an easy fix.

I also want to thank Jason for getting my head straight on this matter.
LetsHandleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Pic's....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
WOOPOOW!!

Could I see some pics?? GAbronco has some bullies and they look strong as hell.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Funny how a simple material upgrade can make such a big difference.

I hope RC4WD follows your lead!

Last edited by dezfan; 03-18-2009 at 09:35 PM.
dezfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
Could I see some pics?? GAbronco has some bullies and they look strong as hell.
Look and being thats the problem. I emailed Mike several weeks ago when I broke a wheel stud and asked that he make the axles out of moly and extend the thread 2mm's. I was told to what so I took matter's into my on hands after whating 3 weeks.

I will not post any pictures and I do have drawing's to make the axles but they are not for sale.

So everyone that has been bashing me for trying to help you, take note and maybe we can get what we need made the right way.

I will help any machine shop if they are willing to make a quailty axle out of the right material.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Ok im going to try and make this sound polite/nice as possible.

Im having the same problems LetsHandleIt is, Clowning, Snaping. I dont want people to come in here and say "WELL I GOT V1's AND THEY DONT BEND AND THEY WORK GREAT" Good for you.

These stub's need some serious attention. The new V3 seems to be going in the right direction. But i still think its going to clown, It might not snap as easy, but if it bends you know it will follow suit.

This stainless was never meant to be used as a drive axle. 1:1 Rig's use 4130-4140 for specific reasons. Im not sure what MIP, Kyosho, Losi, AE, Mugen - etc are using for drive axles, But i GUARANTEE it isnt stainless... You dont see 1/8 scale's racing around with clown wheels do you ?

Someone help us, Whether it's RC4WD or some other company wanting to jump on the band wagon and make a stronger replacment i dont care. I like my bully's just these stubs need help.
DiEzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
WOOPOOW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsHandleit View Post
Look and being thats the problem. I emailed Mike several weeks ago when I broke a wheel stud and asked that he make the axles out of moly and extend the thread 2mm's. I was told to what so I took matter's into my on hands after whating 3 weeks.

I will not post any pictures and I do have drawing's to make the axles but they are not for sale.

So everyone that has been bashing me for trying to help you, take note and maybe we can get what we need made the right way.

I will help any machine shop if they are willing to make a quailty axle out of the right material.
You know... there are other axles out there.. MOA's! whatcha know?? I would just ask for a refund if your THAT friggen pissed about them..
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ive seen the stubs he had made, they're holding up great and they're top notch quality. if RC4WD were to make them the way letshandleit did, none of this would be happening.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyTheKid View Post
You know... there are other axles out there.. MOA's! whatcha know?? I would just ask for a refund if your THAT friggen pissed about them..

Honestly Colby, Its dumb ass thoughtless post's like this that get everyone riled up. Were posting to try and get someone to take notice of a problem several of us are having. If we didnt want these axle's we would have returned them already. We just want to fix them.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

It still confuses me, I bought a set of stainless straight axles for my WK from RC4WD over a year ago and they clowned out on the second run. Even back then it was perfectly obvious that the problem was the material. I said "Make them out of some decent hardended chromo and it won't be a problem anymore" Black oxide coating is cheap and it works fine. And you can mark my words, I'll never buy another stainless axleshaft.

How have the folks at RC4WD not figured this out? It's damaging their reputation and all these replacement parts are gonna drive them into the ground. Wake up!
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
RC Axle Master

This post it to help get a problem fixed not to tell someone to return there axles. If you continue with the bashing you will be band from this post.

If someone out there has done something better to fix these axles please post we would like to hear from you.

Thank You
Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you continue with the bashing you will be band from this post.

Cool, I didn't know that button came with a green star now.....
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Cool, I didn't know that button came with a green star now.....
It dosen't but Jason is watching and we have an agreement.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
This post it to help get a problem fixed not to tell someone to return there axles. If you continue with the bashing you will be band from this post.

If someone out there has done something better to fix these axles please post we would like to hear from you.

Thank You
As Jeff is wondering, when did you get a ban button?

You keep telling someone else to fix the situation, because you are sick of the problem..Well instead of telling other companies or RC4WD on what to do, why not step up, buy a vendor star and sell your solution since you have the drawings and will work with a machine shop to make them. From this post alone, you could have already sold 6-7 sets probably, if not more..
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
As Jeff is wondering, when did you get a ban button?

You keep telling someone else to fix the situation, because you are sick of the problem..Well instead of telling other companies or RC4WD on what to do, why not step up, buy a vendor star and sell your solution since you have the drawings and will work with a machine shop to make them. From this post alone, you could have already sold 6-7 sets probably, if not more..
I really just want to get these axles fixed, I am not the solution or want to be the solution. I have only asked that RC4WD fix there problem with a material change or if there is another manufacturer that would like to make the axles I would help.

I'm trying to help take the issue down the right road and maybe we will get the answer were looking for.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Glad Jason stepped in on the circus going on in the vendor thread! I think it is awesome that you had some made out of a worth-while material, why not get a couple sets made (cost within reason) and collect some strength data? A Drill Rress wtih a "pressure applied gauge" would make for a great argument to RC4WD on why Stainless isnt the best choice. I have a set of 300m u-joints in my fullsize crawler that were tested this way to show their strength against cryoed joints and lesser material joints...
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Well Letshandleit. Looks like RC4wd is going to step it up and give us the V3's. Hopefully its a permanent fix.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
RC Axle Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBronco View Post
Glad Jason stepped in on the circus going on in the vendor thread! I think it is awesome that you had some made out of a worth-while material, why not get a couple sets made (cost within reason) and collect some strength data? A Drill Rress wtih a "pressure applied gauge" would make for a great argument to RC4WD on why Stainless isnt the best choice. I have a set of 300m u-joints in my fullsize crawler that were tested this way to show their strength against cryoed joints and lesser material joints...
Really all that is needed is to get the material spec's and you will know what is better. Since I don't know what grade SS is being used it's hard to compare. I have 2 axles of each front and rear and there only going to be ran on my rig and not tested in a drill press.

I would also like to say I'm sorry about the earlier comments and hope there are no hard feelings. Lets just work together and get the quailty axles we need to run comps.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

sheet! letshandleit, damn, just help us out and make these yourself man, LOL! i will gladly pay for your time and effort. you are definently going down the right path in trying to resolve the "clown effect". you will be able to make a pretty penny from this i can gaurantee you that my friend. just be a vendor already.
keala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
WOOPOOW!!

I too apologize for making it seem like I was bashing you guys. I guess what I said came out wrong. Hope you guys get your axles fixed, RC4WD sticks to there word and they have some awesome guys on the team