Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: BUlly pinion gear lube?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default BUlly pinion gear lube?

Does anyone run their pinion lubed? I greased all the gears but not the pinion and main gear where the two meet. Just curious if anybody does. Now that i think about it, cant see it hurting anything. If only I could get the mesh to stay after the axle takes a slight bump.
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i lube mine its fine main thing is make sure its sealed off
bmsgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I keep all gears fully lubed in my bully case's..
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

"If spit doesnt work it isnt true love!"

Ok maybe thats not the same thing but yea, lube em up. I use Mobile1 Synthetic Red on all my axles.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Just jump it!

I practically filled my axles up with the synthetic red grease and they still squall like a beat dog!!
Well mostly the rear! Think the motor is about to die.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thank you for the responses. Even with my clod gear boxes I never lubed the pinion. Guess its habit from the old days of racing and having the spur and pinion on the outside of the transmission case. Still cant keep pinion mesh no matter how tight I crank the screws or even with loctite. First or second bump and its grind time.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Still cant keep pinion mesh no matter how tight I crank the screws or even with loctite. First or second bump and its grind time.
thats weird!!! I have never had my gear mesh get bumped outta place....I like to think I get on it pretty hard from time time too.....
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I read somewhere that filing down the set screw on the pinion helps. I think my problem is the pinion has a wobble to it. It doesnt spin true. The shaft is true so my only guess is the set screw is throwing off the axis of the pinion. Therefore in order for me to get a smooth mesh due to the wobble, it has to be set so that either loped side is neither too close nor too far from the gear. The tolerence is very small and any little bump throws it off. Hopefully, filing down the set screw will alleviate this problem. If not, I will have to resort to making an aftermarket pinion fit. Which will probably be a PITA.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Its the gear covers normally. They have more play being acryllic so your pinion adjustment can get bumped if the motor takes a hit. You can take the gear covers off and use a piece of tape or just keep a 3mm wrench in your pocket for between courses.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #10
Just jump it!

I put my motors in without the cover on and tightened them down.
Then with the third screw hole i put the clear cover on and it holds it on there fine,,, so far!!
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Shaved the set screw, it didnt help with the axis as it still spins loped. Set the mesh as best I could and then lubed the hell out of it. Replaced the acrylic shields with tape. The lube seemed to smoothen things out a little bit. Have to get it back on the rocks and test it out. Which reminds me, when these axles drop down and hit a rock, ouch! It makes one unique horrible thud sound.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
RCC Addict

If your pinion isnt spinning true it might not be the pinion gear itself. Pull the motor out and leaf it hooked up and turn it on. You may have a bent output shaft or a bad bearing in the motor itself.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the suggestion Culetto. I examined the shaft when I rebuilt the motor, bearings were fine and the shafts are true. This is on both motors and pinions. My guess would be the pinion diameter is just a little too large for the motor shaft. Now keep in mind its not a huge offset and is completly within acceptable tolerances. Its just not true.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
I practically filled my axles up with the synthetic red grease and they still squall like a beat dog!!
Haha....mine sounds like a tractor!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
Which reminds me, when these axles drop down and hit a rock, ouch! It makes one unique horrible thud sound.
I hate when I do that, but I swear these things are so tough they'd sooner crack the rock than obtain any sort of damage beyond a scratch.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I have about 3 runs on these axles and after I lubed up the pinion's its running smooth as silk. Gotta say Im impressed with the gears. In my experience all metal gears and pinion are loud and noisy. These are pretty quiet. I really wrenched down the motor screws and have not had any more loss of mesh. I'll be posting the build when I get some free time to upload the photos.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Has anybody sealed up the holes where the end of the gears ride to keep from grease being pumped out thru the hole?
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

No, havent tried that. Nothing leaking out on mine. The lube I went with is called gorilla snawt. It starts out great but after a few runs it turns to liquid and flings of the gears. Next time I will be going with moly graphite engine assembly lube or gear jelly. But if yours are leaking, try filling the holes with wax. Use a candle or a bar of soap, whatever you got and work it into the holes. Easy seal.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Canlde wax--never thought of that--the axles should not get hot enough to melt it out too---nice....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote