Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Next EVOLUTION chassis. KRAKKER JAK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Next EVOLUTION chassis. KRAKKER JAK

All I can say is it's gonna be UP in the clearence dept. Not looking to sell them, this is a "1 OFF" design specifically for my self. NO vendor feeler is implied.
Anyway, we're calling this the "KRAKKER JAK" chassis. It will be sprung and should be easily adjustable. Ride height will not be a problem and weight bias will be focused towards the front.

I just received materials and will be working on getting the first proto type cut. I'll make sure and get plenty of pics along the way.

Sorry no pics yet, I don't want to let out the "TOP SECRET" shape till I've got the first one cut.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

cant wait to see it man
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The first chassis side is cut and awaiting some finish work before it gets duplicated.
One of the things I'm going to try, is having the chassis sides be a hair lower than the skid. with as little of the skid area that might see the rock surface, I'm hoping that the narrow-ness of the chassis sides will flow smoother over the rocks than a complete skid area.
The chassis stay's will be placed so that the thin vinal piece will sit between the plates about .050 up from the bottom edge of the sides.
It should help hold when scraping around a side hill obstacle.

Once I get the first side looking good, I'll try and post some pics. The idea is somewhat around the Mantis design, only it's not torsion and the sides are equally spaced and a bit shorter.
I think it will suit a short shock really well.

Thanks for tuning in.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Oh yea! Can't wait to see what you come up with Rory.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So, I'm confused. What was the point of posting a thread about your own custom chassis without having pics of it? If it were a product you were selling, I could understand providing hype, and maybe pre-orders, but not even so much as an "ink-on-napkin" sketch?

That aside, I was thinking of doing the same with my skid, having the chassis sides drop lower than the skid. I thought of the old snow sleds, those two rails help keep it straight, the skid protects the stuff in the chassis. As long as the chassis made from low-friciton material like delrin, it should work the same as a channeled skid.

Also, how are you cutting it? CNC, mill, laser/water, dremel, teeth?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sorry for delay on the pics, I've temporarily moved in to take care of my folks after my dads surgery.

Here's a quick take on what I've got so far. chassis is rough cut for now with a jig saw, file and dremel work. I've got 2 matching haves now (that look a bit nicer.) and will clamp them together then drill a couple different holes through them. After that I'll bolt the 2 halves together till I can figure out where I want the link holes and shock holes to go. Like I said earlier, i don't think I'll have much to worry about on the skid surface or the links seeing to much rock rash.
IF this proves out to work, I might try a carbon fiber side plate. The cutting board material is almost a 1/4" but I'll bevel it on the under side. The nice thing about this chassis is that it can be wide enough to give the bully link section plenty of room with out taking up a larger space to have to "slide" over.
You can see the resemblence of the Mantis in the front. (VERY cutting edge IMO) I just wanted to take it to a new level. We'll see if it proves out.
I've only got the 2 pics, but I'll be getting updates as soon as time permits. It's gonna be a bit slow (unless I get amy own lap top) since I have to come home to use a computor.
ANY ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

The "Krakker Jak" is a mantis.......:?
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Be careful with the sideplates hanging down from the skid. A larger area to slide on will provide less friction. So if you are trying to slide over something its less friction to have a large flat surface rather than 2 really small surfaces. The only benifit I see is if your trying not to slide sideways off of something.
The Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Kev View Post
The "Krakker Jak" is a mantis.......:?
I don't think so. The rear end seems far to high to bolt on the gear case and the plate itself also looks thick for torsion.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I like it, more pics please. Doesnt look like the mantis to me to much, plus if it does, so what, if chassis couldnt be simular in any way, there would only be the first chassis ever made lol.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowngreen View Post
I like it, more pics please. Doesnt look like the mantis to me to much, plus if it does, so what, if chassis couldnt be simular in any way, there would only be the first chassis ever made lol.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

hey Rory,,,,Sorry I didnt call you back. Hows the KJ goin? updates?
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

No problem Thomas, I"m waiting on some chassis stay's at the moment, I've got a few already but I want to turn down the raised ends on them. I've got a few pics of the chassis sides bolted together and sitting on my current rig, I just have to find time to get back home and post them. I'm still recovering from foot surgery but I will get them done this weekend.

Thanks for the motivation with the Flintstone mobile Ricky.

No, this is not a Mantis knock off. It does however take it's que from the high clearence rear while using shorter front links. (kinda like a 60/40 setup)
It is Axial width from front to back but the only portion that should touch the rocks is the very front of the lower chassis, which isn't much. It will be sprung F & R.
5 months of planning and drawing and a bit of help from Soloman, this thing should come together as soon as parts come in.
I plan to use the cast outer axles but with the light weight gear cases. I may do some work to the cast front tubes like I did the rears on my TAG Bully and I also plan on thinning up the Eritex wheels I'm using as well.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Here's the pics to show you how the chassis sits now and it's differents from the mantis.
the skid I plan to mold into the center of the chassis, for now I'll zip-tie it to the chassis stays at each side of the chassis. It should sit up into the chassis a small bit. Not sure about the electronics yet, but I want the battery to sit into the front of the chassis. I might put the FXR, on a tray on the rear axle and a punk dig and the BEC somewhere in the chassis.
It's about the width of a beetle juice chassis.
One thing I had thought about was using a gimble/pivot point (such as what Thomas uses on the GX2) on the rear only it was difficult to engineer a mount for using springs on both sides of the rear with out adding weight. Anyway, feel free to give your opinions good or bad. I'm just trying to think outside the box and see if my design in high clearence will prove it self out.
I still need to find out where the upper links will mount both F & R yet, so holes for them and the Lower rears are not established yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Seems like it's not going to run torsion in the rear?
ErÄjOrMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Looks Good!
I like "outside the box thinking".
Are the rear shocks going to mount fairly vertical?

Last edited by crawlerpillar; 04-10-2010 at 11:13 AM.
crawlerpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerpillar View Post
Looks Good!
I like "outside the box thinking".
Are the rear shocks going to mount fairly vertical?
The 3rd pic from the bottom shows the relivent placement of the chassis to the current set up. The rear shocks should be in almost the same orientation as they are now.
I have the skid molded for now, it's 1/16th" thick Vinyl/plastic (what new house windows are made with.) it's very slick and sturdy. I used the same stuff to make the battery tray on the TAG. Works great and takes a pretty good beating. Also used it my girls tuber for side panels, hood and the top. They've been holding up really well.

Last edited by Krakker; 04-10-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
1/16th" thick Vinal
Do you mean Vinyl?

Vinal is a fiber (fabric) made from "long-chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 50% by weight of vinyl alcohol units"
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Do you mean Vinyl?

Vinal is a fiber (fabric) made from "long-chain synthetic polymer composed of at least 50% by weight of vinyl alcohol units"
DUH! Yeah, thanks on that. What can I say, I'm still on meds.
I edited my post, I'm using some leftovers from some windows we put in our house. I got these long, wide pieces of channel that weren't used.
It takes a few deap scores with a razor knife before it breaks and I've got to cut the other side then, but it's cuttable with snips as well.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Hey Rory,,I like it,,,Pm sent
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote