Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: My doppelganger Tamiya Sand Scorcher Bully Havoc hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My doppelganger Tamiya Sand Scorcher Bully Havoc hybrid

I'm pretty new to the world of RC Crawling, i've spent about 12mths moving from a Tamiya CR-O1 Toyota Land Cruiser 40, which was great fun but not overly capable, to something a bit more bespoke. The guys at RC4WD having been the catalyst with their Copperhead chassis before i decided to move to my current JP Customs HaVoc TVP chassis.

Quick run down of the spec:
* RC4WD Bully axles
* JP HaVoc chassis
* Mayhem Double Phatty Comp wheels (418g front with 4 weights and 362g
rear with no weights)
* HB Rover tyres (white dot)
* Losi shocks
* Novak Goat 3S ESC
* Novak 55t brushed motors
* Punk RC DIG unit
* Savox servo
* DTX motor guards
* Proline Baja body (trimmed to crawler style)
* 3 cell lipo battery
* RC4WD rock crushers on Low Boyz 2.2 as alternative tyres

Always loved the Tamiya Sand Scorcher box artwork and with the rerelease of the model decals are now easily available, so thought i'd built my own crawler take on the Sand Scorcher.

Be good to hear any feedback, comments etc. Enjoyed building this up and adding bits over 12mnths to get to this version and something i'm loving getting out to use - wet woodlands not idea but that's my current play ground.

vodka child is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #2

paint scheme looks cool
ax10oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Looks amazing with that paint scheme, I think you will really like your setup, those JP chassis' are well made.
nismotuningrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

looks geat man an i to like the body an all . from what i have lurned about these axles is u mite try a liter rim on the rear . i have a set of mayham an i had to get a liter rim for the rear an now i really love it . it worked good with your set uo on the wheels but lots better on ledges an side hilling now with the liter wheel bac there . i have v 1 front an rear with fatties up front with 3 balls an the rim in the rear is a gl an wieghs3.6 oz. an works great
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

With the delrin chassis and links i've been able to drill new link mounts and i've bent and twisted the links to get better clearance on the motors and better ground clearance between the wheel base.

The rear rims are standard but had't thought about lighter rims, any recommendations on which to run? love the look of the Mayhem rims, i do have some lighter RC4WD rims but they are a totally different design, be cool to get any ideas

Cheers all for the comments
Darren (vodka child)
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Old guy

I like your links.

I have my steering set up like yours, except I put 1/4 inch(6mm as you would say) spacer under the tierod and got that much more clearance. It will level up the dragrod too, and will help with the binding.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

i like the dtx motor gaurds. how did you mount them ?
crawler-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler-kid View Post
i like the dtx motor gaurds. how did you mount them ?
The gaurds come in different colors too. I trimed a little off the end of mine to clear the link a little better.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
The gaurds come in different colors too. I trimed a little off the end of mine to clear the link a little better.
but how do they mount to the motors?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Sweet rig.. Question about the motor guards, where can a guy find them?
bcbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbaja View Post
Sweet rig.. Question about the motor guards, where can a guy find them?
they are the motor guard from the duratrax evader towerhobbies has them
Old 04-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

i run gl wheels on the rear they are 3.4 by them selfs an 9.5 total with a lepard on them an i have mayhams fatties up front at 14.5 but yes it would be nice to have a matching set up i just built this truck an now im building a practice tuck just like it so founds are low but i think a set of slw wheels are what i want for they can be narrowed to one in. an they have the slugs to weight them an they r a lite wheel as well an u can get diff offset hubs
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

The motor shield i picked up off eBay couple of bucks for the set (they had black, yellow, blue etc) i just cable tied them on. The shield just wraps about 3/4 of the way around the motor then i used two cable ties to 'lace' up the top so it's a tight fit. Was easiest to just take the motors out then fit the shields and remount the motors after.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I like your links.

I have my steering set up like yours, except I put 1/4 inch(6mm as you would say) spacer under the tierod and got that much more clearance. It will level up the dragrod too, and will help with the binding.
Thanks man, you have pictures of your steering set up? i've tried a few different solutions inc using spacers and mounting the tierods in different positions etc. Still figuring the best solution, and always open to new ideas and trying those
Old 04-06-2010, 05:48 AM   #15
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka child View Post
Thanks man, you have pictures of your steering set up? i've tried a few different solutions inc using spacers and mounting the tierods in different positions etc. Still figuring the best solution, and always open to new ideas and trying those
Here's how I got the steering for now, I'm working on something different, I share when I get it done.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

have tried something similar, though not tried raising the tie rod up, just the rod from the servo down to the steering knuckle. Will give that a whirl see how it plays on the rig. The Savox servo is at the limit of the set up right now, it's rated at 15KG but it'll struggle when really up against it. Will see if the changes to the steering help any, suspect that it's just not quite man enough at 15KG. 20-25KG would be getting on for a better solution.

Went out today and not got the suspension right yet, getting a lot of front wheel spin and not a lot of bite on the smoother stuff, going to soften off the front and see if that helps any. Enjoying the learning curve, shame no clubs within a 2hr drive though as sure i'd reduce the learning curve some that way
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

From the trip out today in the sun a few more pictures, none of these are posed, drove in and out of all the places:

Struggled like mad with the log below, just got zero front grip (using DIG or not using DIG) just got the fronts to spin up lose all traction

nice little drop and drive away

And the posed shots:

Old 09-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i love it! looks so sick!
rccrawler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

thanks man apprecaite it The rig has gone through a lot of changes since i posted that thread. I'm now moved to a Beetle Juice chassis and got some great skins made to reflect the Sand Scorcher theme I have going I have switched to light weight alxes, delrin rear tubes, Holmes and Castle Creations electronics, all moving the rig forward, dead happy with it now (well for 5min till i tinker with something else )

That shell will be making a come back on another chassis soon though,

Tags
bully, double, mayhem, tamyia