Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully PRO's. "Letting the Cat out of the bag"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Arrow Bully PRO's. "Letting the Cat out of the bag"

Well, I promised I would share as soon as I got some head way. Can you guess what's coming next???

OK, the pics show what is going to be a prototype axle that's being put together as an upgrade kit as well. The aluminum spacers are measured out at .400 across the wide part of the flange. The potrusion sticks out .085 and I will trim back as neccessary from this end to narrow the .400. (the boss in the axle end is .115 deep, so there's room to shave if it warrants)

A stainless steel copy will be made as well that will be the clocking jig.
3 sets of holes will be drilled in the jig that can be used to clock the tubes two different angles.

Longer screws will be used to attach the tubes and spacers for the upgrade, when it proves out, the tubes will be made to the determined length. The spacing will allow the links/shocks to be placed on the inside of the axle mount providing more room for the tire to turn with out shreding into each other. Secondary is that the scrub radius will be greatly improved because,,,,,,The Bully PRO's will be using Berg offset wheels. This will make steering much more predictable since the tires will now be pivoting in it's travel instead of "swinging" in it's arch.

The shafts are going to be made out of "Super" Bully XVD's. They will get cut down to the same .400 longer than the stock 2.2 XVD's and new flats milled into them. (Rears will get new lock ring groves)

There will be some added weight but it will be low and placed outward. Using lighter wheels with perhaps a knuckle mounted weight system will remove stress in the drive train. Still undecided is weather or not to machine a boss into the out side of the axle tube spacer for an O-ring (front axle only) to keep debri from entering the case/bearings.

All in all, with the new shaved gear case, drilled gears, and improved steering angles and clearence will give the Bully drivers a top notch winner.

More to come as I get more done. "Do work driver"
Attached Images

Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

VERY NICE! Anxious to see this progress!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
VERY NICE! Anxious to see this progress!
Oh yeah!!,,,

I've been brain stormin' this over for a while now. I started taking measurements on the wheels, the axles and checking the "swing" of the knuckle.
This is NOT an attempt to replicate the Bully into berg clothing, it's jsut an attempt to get the Bully MORE competitive and intriging to more buyers. AND keep wheel choices similar. That would open up the door to getting new wheels I know, but you can always sell the others or use them on something else.

The Bully PRO's will be just as strong as they've always been, any upgrades or mods would be cheap. I hope to see them made with bearings in the knuckles strait from RC4WD.

I'll have to "work" the steering servo placement out for now, (I've got a pretty good idea how I'm going to mount it for now) but once I get the final distance established, I might shave the stock axle flange off and tig the tube to the spacer. I can then notch the axle for the "53willy's" steering mod. There will how ever be more room for that modification as well as better lower link and shock placement/angles.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

OLD NEWS!

I bounced the idea off Jason (Copious) and he ended up building some out of delrin. works well. gets the scrub radius much lower. you notice the smaller scrub radius when your on a hill trying to dig up and over. a larger scrub radius allows the tire to swing up and over the ridge of the cliff and wad the tire up.

the biggest issue i had with it was it effectivly makes the gear case wider. RCC needs to make longer tubes, thats the fix!!!
Kraqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
RCC needs to make longer tubes, thats the fix!!!
I aggree, that's what the testing is to determin. Completely rebuilding the Bully axle into a new version. I'm only providing prototype fabrication to determin the width the new tubes should be.

2nd was to make a clocking jig for current tubes, and a wide track conversion kit.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
OLD NEWS!

I bounced the idea off Jason (Copious) and he ended up building some out of delrin. works well. gets the scrub radius much lower. you notice the smaller scrub radius when your on a hill trying to dig up and over. a larger scrub radius allows the tire to swing up and over the ridge of the cliff and wad the tire up.

the biggest issue i had with it was it effectivly makes the gear case wider. RCC needs to make longer tubes, thats the fix!!!
I had the same idea. Awhile back, but ditched it due to ground clearance it eats up.
Just run two long tubes from 2.2 bullys with berg offset wheels.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
I had the same idea. Awhile back, but ditched it due to ground clearance it eats up.
Just run two long tubes from 2.2 bullys with beef offset wheels.
That doesnt solve the clearance issue on the motor side
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post

i don't get it.

running 2 long side tubes woudl solve the ground clearance beeing eatin up by the axle tube spacers.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
What clearance issues?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I aggree, that's what the testing is to determin. Completely rebuilding the Bully axle into a new version. I'm only providing prototype fabrication to determin the width the new tubes should be.

2nd was to make a clocking jig for current tubes, and a wide track conversion kit.
well if RCC needs testers i compete every month and am out at least once a week beating my junk.
'
the concept works. i think .375-.5" on each side is the key.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What clearance issues?

i get it now.

runnign 2 long tubes woudl offset the motor to one side. but the spacer idea keeps the motor centeres as it is stock.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

What are we trying to create more clearance for?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What are we trying to create more clearance for?

spacing the tubes out moves the link mounts out. giving more clearance between the gearcase/motor and the links.

this woudl also push the links into the tires. Assuming you are going to run a less offset rim and gain the advantage of the lower scrub radius.

EDIT: Sorry i just re-read my first post and that was kinda harsh. not bashign the idea and i support the fact that you are doign this in the hopes to help build the Bully's into a stronger comp platform. I was just tellign my story and experiences having tried this.

Last edited by Kraqa; 09-23-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Most people that avoid or switch from the Bully do so because of the steering and link clearence issues. Though we ca get 48-55* of steering, we rub the links/shocks BAD. There's really no adjustment in the wheels back spacing. Even the stock Berg wheels I narrowed to the out side would hit the suspension.

Spacing the tubes out (that will become a new longer tube) moves the link mount away from the gear case and the motor, letting you move the link to the inside, giving MORE room for the steering and improving the scrub radius when using berg offset wheels.
I like the Bergs steering, but I love my Bully axles.

I only run 3 screws on my tubes anyway, so milling or grinding the spacers (as an upgrade) would be no big deal. The spacers can also be drilled with multiple holes to keep the weight down.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

ya i suppose you could mill the bottom off the spacer. and only run 3 screws. that would solve the spacer/ground clearance.

eitherway i'de be willign to buy some longer front tubes.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
spacing the tubes out moves the link mounts out. giving more clearance between the gearcase/motor and the links.

this woudl also push the links into the tires. Assuming you are going to run a less offset rim and gain the advantage of the lower scrub radius.

EDIT: Sorry i just re-read my first post and that was kinda harsh. not bashign the idea and i support the fact that you are doign this in the hopes to help build the Bully's into a stronger comp platform. I was just tellign my story and experiences having tried this.
No problem, I'm just sharing the work I'm doing, I value the input of everyone here, there's alot of knowledge in this group. I know I'm not the only one to try it or ponder it, I think we can all contribute to making things better.
Like I stated, the links would be on the "inside" of the link mount now. there would still be an increase in link motor clearence, but only slightly compaired to the more clearence between the tires and the links with the longer tubes.
I beleive that it would open up the servo location for the 7980. From what I can tell, the shaved case with clocked tubes would give a bit more room between the axle tube and the motor as well.

When you're after every bit of weight savings you can get, shaving the case, drilling the gears and modding the tubes, takes out a pretty good chunk.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

This is sick!! Cant wait! looks good krakker.
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I think you have the right length.

.4 on both sides with Berg Offset wheels. But leave the link and shock mounts in the stock positions. If you move the link mounts out with the spacer. Your not changing the clearance for better turning. It would stay the same.

Also the Two long tubes won't work very well. Just checked it out in the shop.

If you can have Rc4wd add the .4 to both tubes. In between the link mounts and C's...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you can have Rc4wd add the .4 to both tubes. In between the link mounts and C's...
That's the answer...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Alright I'm gonna play devils advocate here...
I have never driven a berg all my crawling has been done with bully axles. I have not noticed any ill affects from the bully scrub..I just hear a lot of other guys posting complaints..
But then I see SDS customs new berg axles and they have TOOONS of scrub radius!! And all those guys are bragging up the scrub is good....
So what is it?? What makes the guys at SDS customs want all that scrub and now the bully guys are trying to make less??
I have space out my front hex's with TTR hexs on my bully and I have days of scrub and have yet to notice any ill affects...
What is the less scrub gonna help?
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote