Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: viper bully combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Default viper bully combo?

has anyone had real success doing a bully lightweight 2.2's and a viper chasis? how well does the bully beetlejuice v4 combo work? any help would be great. thanks
matm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Not sure if that chassis has been used on a Bully. Mine is "super light" with all the mods I've done but I find my self using heavier components in certain areas to keep the rig well balanced and handling well. I found under 5lbs to be "too" light.

You could try using the search function while in the Bully section and see what pops up with your key words.

The Funny thing is, you shouldn't even have to search,,,,,, There's a Viper build thread just below your post.

What are planning on building?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #3

Im not sure what im going to build yet. I got a xr10 on its way, a viper sitting on my bench, and earlier on i got some bully axels. I definitley want use the viper. It seems like after doing all the hop up and mods to the axial axels you end up spending a ton of money, and seems like such a waste buying the kit. so i thought maybe the bullys already being a strong set of axels might be a good way to go. the gear cases r just so damn big. Its just keep reading about everyone having rubbing and binding issues with this combo. maybe I should just buy the axial axels pieces individualy. dont get me wrong i love axial, always been very happy in the past. this is turning into the ramblings of a mad man. just looking for the most info i can get thanks
Old 09-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matm1313 View Post
Im not sure what im going to build yet. I got a xr10 on its way, a viper sitting on my bench, and earlier on i got some bully axels. I definitley want use the viper. It seems like after doing all the hop up and mods to the axial axels you end up spending a ton of money, and seems like such a waste buying the kit. so i thought maybe the bullys already being a strong set of axels might be a good way to go. the gear cases are just so damn big. Its just keep reading about everyone having rubbing and binding issues with this combo. maybe I should just buy the axial axels pieces individualy. dont get me wrong i love axial, always been very happy in the past. this is turning into the ramblings of a mad man. just looking for the most info i can get thanks
There is a thread in this section of a guy who built a Bully/Viper.

That being said, YES....the gearcases are beefy on the Bully axle. Due to that, there are a few choices that you can make to make things fit better and not bind with the Bullys:

1. Chop the top off of the gearcase. This is documented throughout this section. This gives room for straight upper links to clear the clocked gearcases under articulation. IF you do not feel comfortable cutting the gearcase, then you can make bent uppers and/or go with a thinner (yet strong) link. see #2.

2. MANY people who build Bullys use thick link material such as 5/16" or even 3/8" delrin rod, or also vendor purchased machined delrin links. These links are THICK...and take up valuable space near the gearcase. I found that sticking with 1/4" material sleeved over threaded steel for links is a good solution. They are thinner, and still strong. This gives more space near the gearcase. I personally was running this style of link...as I sell them , but just recently I switched to Titanium at 3/16".....this bought me even more space while not sacrificing strength. I think that I have made this point clear.

3. Go with a smaller diameter shock. (If your rig is lightweight...say 5.5 pounds or less) I was running the losi crawler shocks...and had the typical issues of my tires getting smashed up in the shock when turning. I then switched to the AXIAL SCX10 ALUMINUM SHOCK. This shock is dramatically smaller than the Traxxas Big Bores...or Losi Crawler Shocks. Running the SCX10 shocks with MINI-T springs bought a lot of space for tires at full turn...and definitely cleared the gearcases under articulation.

I personally did not shave my gearcases....and I do not have any binding issues using the advice given in #2 and #3. I am currently running a BJv3 Chassis....not the Viper, but the gearcase issues are universal, and not really chassis specific.

Like you I have toyed with the choices presented in your post. I have been running the Bullys for a few years...and truly like them. That being said, I just shelled out the cash yesterday for all parts needed to build up an Axial XR10. You are correct in that it is NOT cheap...Especially at FULL RETAIL.

Bully:
LW Axles: $240
LW Delrin Rear Tubes: $55
V6 Front XVD: $40
HW Front Knuckles & Tubes: $20
Steering Kit: $20
4mm Bearing Mod (Ti Screws): $15
ROUGH TOTAL: $390

XR10:
KIT: $200
VP Knuckles: $45
VP C-Hubs: $40
VP Rear Lockouts: $35
RC4WD Bearing Kit x2: $70
RC4WS Gears x2: $80
VP F/R Upper Link Mounts: $80
McMaster Carr Brass Inserts: $15
BWD metal plates: $20
ROUGH TOTAL: $585

There is almost a $200 difference between the 2....but what does that $200 buy??? My LW Bully is VERY competitive....but there are definitely times when the XR10 has the advantage. Outside of the competitive aspect, there is also a lot more mainstream support for the XR10. This forum is definitely a GREAT resource for the Bully axle trucks, and the modifications that can be done to make the Bully axle better and better are there...I have done most of them and added some of my own....and KRAKKER is one of the best resources here period. You really cannot go wrong with the Bullys...and if budget is a driver, then you will love the Bully axles even more. The XR10 is a money pit to build....Yet I am building one myself. As you can see, you are not the only one conflicted by this choice.

Last edited by xirtic; 09-30-2011 at 08:23 AM.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #5

thank you for the info. its not so much the money, for me as much as the idea. again, i love my axial and the support you can get, though it seems like a car dealership with the service being were they make there real money. im refering to all the aftermarket products. the bullys seem really nice, maybe ill give it another go. so you sell the links....tell me more please. thanks again
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

yes the bully axles are unbreakable practically built like a bradley battle tank and sure you'll find some issues when building a rig with them but most are easily sorted out with some reading on this forum there is A LOT of good info on these pages and once you have a setup you like with these axles you'll be able to beat on them like you stole em! all day! every day! with practically no maintenance other than making sure all the screws are tight! (threadlock is your friend) i wouldn't change my bully's for a truckload of axials but i wouldn't mind having them both i dont think the axial would hold up to the 10ft drops that my bully has to put up with tho
vtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtek View Post
yes the bully axles are unbreakable practically built like a bradley battle tank
I would say the Bully axles are more like the Abrams Battle Tank rather than the Bradley Fighting Vehicle (Armored personel carrier) which is more like a Berg.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote