Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: How to make it accelerate smoother?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How to make it accelerate smoother?

One thing that bothers me about my bully 2 (RTR) is that when I want to creep forward slowly I'll pull the trigger ever so slightly and it suddenly lunges forward. On my scx10 ii I can gently pull the trigger and barely roll the tires. The starting speed is too high. My bully 2 has an axial ae-5 esc with castle bec. Everything else like the motors and gearing are stock. What part of this is the cause? I think it must be electronics cuz if it was gearing I should still be able to crawl slowly, it just wouldn't have much torque while doing it.
JoelTGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to make it accelerate smoother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelTGM View Post
One thing that bothers me about my bully 2 (RTR) is that when I want to creep forward slowly I'll pull the trigger ever so slightly and it suddenly lunges forward. On my scx10 ii I can gently pull the trigger and barely roll the tires. The starting speed is too high. My bully 2 has an axial ae-5 esc with castle bec. Everything else like the motors and gearing are stock. What part of this is the cause? I think it must be electronics cuz if it was gearing I should still be able to crawl slowly, it just wouldn't have much torque while doing it.

you lose that low speed throttle control running 2 motors off one ESC. Unless you run dual esc's with throttle mixing your going to have that issue. Only way to really remediate it with one ESC is to run 55 turn motors sine the RTR comes with some peppy 35 turn motors. you should be able to sell the 35t motors to make up for the cost of new motors. the hackmoto motors are really nice rebuildable motors with an affordable price tag.
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

oh okay thanks I'll look into dual esc then. Not sure where the heck to fit a second one lol. I'll stick with the 35t motors if I can just because I know sometimes you need some speed and it seems to be a good mix of torque and speed.

Last edited by JoelTGM; 03-19-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
oh okay thanks I'll look into dual esc then. Not sure where the heck to fit a second one lol. I'll stick with the 35t motors if I can just because I know sometimes you need some speed and it seems to be a good mix of torque and speed.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-...nidual/p466934

1 of these with a futaba 4pls remote

https://www.amainhobbies.com/futaba-...tk1410/p261217
Old 03-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

thanks! I just need to save up money for that stuff but at least it will be straightforward.

will the remote that came with the RTR work with that dual esc?

Last edited by JoelTGM; 03-19-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks! I just need to save up money for that stuff but at least it will be straightforward.

will the remote that came with the RTR work with that dual esc?
no the xr4 remote will not work. your best bet for now would be to switch to a better ESC like a tekin FXR. The RTR bully esc is garbage
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

is there a cheaper alternative? canadian dollar, plus tax, plus shipping equals over $500. I want it to do it right with a dual esc and appropriate remote, but if this comp crawler thing is gonna cost that much I'd rather stop now before I really regret it.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
is there a cheaper alternative? canadian dollar, plus tax, plus shipping equals over $500. I want it to do it right with a dual esc and appropriate remote, but if this comp crawler thing is gonna cost that much I'd rather stop now before I really regret it.

the cheapest way to go is to just run one really good speed controller like a tekin fxr or similar quality. you will get smoother throttle response. still use the stock dig unit, eliminate all the connectors and hard wire everything and upgrade your Tamiya connector to a deans or xt60
Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

okay I will look into that. I did hardwire everything and use xt60. thanks.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheworks View Post
the cheapest way to go is to just run one really good speed controller like a tekin fxr or similar quality. you will get smoother throttle response. still use the stock dig unit, eliminate all the connectors and hard wire everything and upgrade your Tamiya connector to a deans or xt60
THis may be the cheapest way to go and will work, The FXR is alittle jumpy at start up tho.

if i was you i would get a set of either Holmes Hobbies BR mini's or a set of Castle mirco sidewiders. With either a 4pl or 4pv.

I run the BR mini's and 4PV in/on my Bully 2, If your still not happy with your start up after doing those upgrade's, get a good set of motors, Brood or Homles Hobbies.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I just seen in the for sale section a pari of Br min's for sale 864runner was selling them.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I will agree with the dual br mini. my rig is super smoothe with very little input on startup
socal gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

maybe the cleanest way to do this will be with the dual br mini and that expensive ass remote. I may as well save up because I do want this thing to be a beast and I've spent more money on dumber things before. It's an awesome crawler and I shouldn't give up so quickly. Even if it takes a year for me to buy that stuff it'll be worth it.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
Hal
Quarry Creeper

I agree with going to a two ESC type system. Without the dig controller there is a lot more room for the 2 ESCs. In case you didnt know you dont need dig controller with dual ESCs. The BR minis are good and there are other options also. You will need a radio that can mix the 2 ESCs. I run a SANWA (Airtronics)MT4S it is easy to set up to do mixing. A lot of people run FUTABAs( kind of a Ford vs Chevy thing.) I would go with what the local guys are running you will have more help available. It can be frustrating to a new person wanting to get in to crawling. IMO it is worth it once you are set up to run. There is a lot to learn about driving MOA rigs but you will be impressed at what your vehicle can do once you master the basics. I am not sure how the stock system is on a Bully because I have never seen one operate. It must have some mixing capability if it can run a dig system. Maybe another member can speak to this but it is beyond me. I run the same system most guys in my club run and was lucky to find one all ready to go, set up for my radio. At the time I was still new to crawling also. Hopefully there is a friend or someone who can mentor you to help get things going for you. One thing I realy enjoy about this hobby is learning about all the new tech out there. I was out of it for like 20 years. Novak was top of the line back then, now they dont even exist anymore. There are tons of vids on Youtube explaining the different car and radio setups as well as people on this forum that can help. Dont get discouraged it gets to be more fun once you get it figured out. Good luck!
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I ditched the stock dig as it is junk. Im running the BRMD with FUTABA 4PLS and couldnt be happier, im still running the stock 35t on 3s
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

by the way I do appreciate all the replies, wish I could "like" them but I no longer see a like button for some reason... anyway thanks for keeping newbies going.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Spectrum DX5c can throttle and stearing mix and its cheaper. but I dont know if it will do Dig front and rear on the fly. basical you mirror the throttle to Aux1 in programming area. or you just set aux 1 to function off the throttle as a linear swich by pulling the throttle in that selection.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
Hal
Quarry Creeper

The like button appears when you touch or click on the post you " like" (I say touch if you are using a touch screen like a phone or tablet) at least that is how it works on my tablet
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

flysky 3t3b and x2 mamba max esc, do not go to 55t motors
nappahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappahdog View Post
flysky 3t3b and x2 mamba max esc, do not go to 55t motors
with this remote i can switch on the fly between motors? like disable the rear and just use the front motor?

How to make it accelerate smoother? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do the shocks get smoother after you run them for awhile? strap624 Axial Wraith 2 09-17-2011 03:22 PM
Wraith is glitching? Accelerate/reverse issues Elliott000 Electronics 8 07-17-2011 05:04 PM
How to make my SCX10 TR smoother on takeoff/low speed?? fyrfytr Newbie General 20 04-12-2010 12:47 AM
Is the quark realy smoother than a mamba 25?? Kamikaze Electronics 9 11-10-2007 12:25 AM