Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: artr shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Default artr shocks

So I was out driving around on some rocks on my property. had been doing it for some minutes when I noticed something dangling from the frame. The right front shock lower shock end appears to have unscrewed and retracted up into the shock body such that there was noting to grab a hold on. No sign of breakage so must have unscrewed from the action of the shock pumping.
So I took the shock apart but I was surprised to find it had essentially no oil in it.Total appears to be less than 1/4 of a teaspoon of oil. A large drop. No sign of leakage. wtf?
Gosh darn it, now I am compelled to take every darn shock apart and see if this is how they send them? I have maybe 5 packs thru this.
Are these air shocks lol? How should I refill them? Also lost the spring keeper and the spring, anyone care to recommend a replacement? Otherwise I can just go to the rc4wd site and shop around I guess....

Last edited by Pfreddy; 03-08-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Pfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: artr shocks

They are terrible shocks. I tried several times to get them to hold oil and work properly. Get something else. Nearly anything will be better. I recommend traxxas big bores with the cap mod.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Mine came with hardly any oil also, I feel ya. Double-check ALL your hardware to make sure it's tight also, my axle tubes were about to fall out out of the box.

1) Tear them all down, and rebuild them with green slime on the o-rings. Change the oil (not much to take out) and replace it with +50wt oil. Teflon tape on the shock cap threads will help seal any leak that the cap's o-ring has (which can happen from trying to screw the cap on with too much oil in the shock).

2) Emulsion shocks are a royal PITA. I use them because I'm cheap and don't want to replace them. You have to have air in the shocks or they'll freeze up and not travel fully.

If you feel like getting new shocks, josh6575 was on point about Big Bores with the cap mod.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #4

Eh, I found the spring and cap and filled em all up. first thing I did when I got this beast was locktite every screw, some were def finger tight.

These are good enough for this rig, i'm saving my dollars for a real build, although the BB's do come in 8 packs. This is great for crawling around the rocks on my property, but I can see the limitations of a heavy rig. It's good enough for the grandkids but the dual setup with the dig is too much for my big guy, he's only 3! He def prefers the slow speeds over his older brother's SC trucks tho! He really gets in his own world!

I got some comp axles inbound, trying to decide on a chassis. Not alot to choose from out there right now. I will probably use the electronics out of this one as the XFRs are good, maybe spend some ducketts on a pair o good motors from Holmes.

There are some comps not too far north or me, thinking of maybe getting into that next Fall.
Pfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote

artr shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to install losi shocks Ax 10 Artr vrgz71 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 08-26-2009 10:35 PM
Mounting Losi shocks on my ax10 ARTR TNTCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-22-2009 08:13 AM
Brand new ARTR shocks leaking?? VeryBumpy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 04-06-2009 02:07 PM