Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Bully

Notices

Thread: Bully2 4WS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #1

Default Bully2 4WS

Hello, I started on the RC hobby back in August, so I am a bit new. I started with a basher (a used and abused e-revo 2.0) that I have had fun with, then I discovered crawling. Way more fun! I started with a Basha Rocksta (1/24 scale), then got the Stingray chassis for it along with some RC4WD Scrambler tires and a remote switch I wired in series to the rear motor for a dig. I can't get enough of it.

I also can't keep up with the 1.9 and 2.2 (usually scale) crawlers most are using at the local crawling spots.

So I am looking at the Bully 2. I am not really interested in the look of the vehicle at all, I just want to maximize the capability, so I don't really want scale bodies getting in the way, etc.

I guess I am spoiled by my Stingray with it's MOA, 4WS and dig. I manage to find situations every function helps. It even articulates in the middle, effectively changing the length of the wheelbase a bit as the front end clocks backwards when the wheels grab.

On to my question. I have not seen much on this, is it a reasonable thing (mechanically) to convert a Bully II to 4 wheel steering? The only thing I see when searching the internet is a video where some guy converted his original Bully.

Thanks for your time!
aPpYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Bully2 4WS

Its pretty straight forward to convert to 4WS. You'll need a new servo a set of front C-hubs, a set of knuckles, a front axle set, a servo mount, and the steering links. You'll also need a receiver that has an extra Aux channel to use for the rear steering and a radio that can do 4WS.

Oh and a set of front axle hex's, I forgot those are unique to the front axles.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-28-2021 at 12:23 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Its pretty straight forward to convert to 4WS. You'll need a new servo a set of front C-hubs, a set of knuckles, a front axle set, a servo mount, and the steering links. You'll also need a receiver that has an extra Aux channel to use for the rear steering and a radio that can do 4WS.

Oh and a set of front axle hex's, I forgot those are unique to the front axles.
Exactly what I wanted to hear!

The Bully seems to be the only game in town unless I want to spend $3000 on something from dlux ...
Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
... a front axle set ...
... So I see assembled sets (Z-A0012) that seem to come with everything you mentioned, but it's either out of stock everywhere or really expensive from some obscure European site(s) ...

Or are you referring to the axle shafts themselves (Z-S0521 I think?) for use in the existing rear axle housing? RC4WD refers to them as "XVD AXLE FOR BULLY 2 COMPETITION CRAWLER AXLE"

I also see a ZS1919 on Amazon that is also labeled for the Bully II but looks different from the one on RC4WD's site.

Now I'm confused ...
Old 03-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPpYe View Post
... So I see assembled sets (Z-A0012) that seem to come with everything you mentioned, but it's either out of stock everywhere or really expensive from some obscure European site(s) ...

Or are you referring to the axle shafts themselves (Z-S0521 I think?) for use in the existing rear axle housing? RC4WD refers to them as "XVD AXLE FOR BULLY 2 COMPETITION CRAWLER AXLE"

I also see a ZS1919 on Amazon that is also labeled for the Bully II but looks different from the one on RC4WD's site.

Now I'm confused ...

Yes just the axle shafts not the housing. I'm pretty sure the main axle housing is identical front and rear.

They make 2 different styles of axle shafts, Universals (U joints) and XVD's (also referred to as CVD's on other brands). CVD's use a ball, cup and a pin where the universals use a U joint.

I think I prefer a universal but either will do the job.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

To throw this out there-
I went to ProModeler site to look at servos, and I found that they sell a simple wire/plug servo reverser that plugs in. I believe it stated that you can plug it into a Y and plug it into the steering slot and run both axles at same time. I ordered one and am waiting for it. It cost $10.
wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

While a servo reverser and a Y adapter may provide you with a working 4WS setup you will be missing out on a TON of control that you would get from having all of the modes associated with 4WS (front steer, rear steer, 4 wheel steer and crab mode). I would not recommend limiting yourself to 4WS all the time.

Having 4WS on all the time might be fine on a monster truck but you'll give up a lot of control on a crawler. 4WS is great for tight turns and certain obstacles but when its not needed it will push your rear end off line or off the edge of a rock/obstacle.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #8

Lol, yeah, I am definitely going to be wanting all four modes. I have not yet researched receivers and transmitters yet ... I am on vacation at my folks place now so research on my RC stuff is going to take some priority now! I am going to be wanting to have all four steering modes as well as front and rear dig.

Bully2 4WS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
g-jero,s Bully2 g-jero RC4WD Bully 21 05-11-2015 08:45 PM
4WS or no 4WS....that is the question Crawlster Axial Wraith 17 09-05-2012 08:51 PM