Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: ballends on leafs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #1

Default ballends on leafs

might be worth trying out for those of you unhappy with the binding/gritty feel and performance of the stock leafs. i run the same setup on my f350 and its awesome.

search rooster mod over at scale4x4rc for more info since my pics suck, but its pretty simple.

all you do is either cut the ends off the rc4wd springs or use the longest helper leafs out of the tamiya springpack. drill a 1/8" hole in the end, bend the leaf up 90degrees (keep the bend straight) and attach a traxxas ballend. (i used the old hex shape style) you obviously want the finished leaf to measure the same from eye to eye as the stockers. although if you wanted longer or shorter, this is an easy way to do it.

you will need some sort of spacer with the ballend in the shackles since the ballends are a tad narrower than the stock leafs and this will bind against the framerails without spacers.

this is stock setup using tamiya springs with a 5000mah battery and a crawler esc and motor to just give it a little weight. no springs in shocks, smallest helper leaf (out of tamiya pack) in front, single tamiya leaf in rear. (probably add leafs once it gets to full weight.

this is not forced articulation. i'm certain after some driving it will soften and loosen up more. pretty buttery feel.

i've driven my f350 with this mod pretty hard, and the thing has to be close to 10 pounds... so i can say the mod is somewhat reliable even with the 90 degree bend in the spring to mount the ballend.

although i can imagine if you are the type who can lunch a leafspring you can proabably lunch these too.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ballends on leafs

interesting, may have to try this w/ the long helper springs
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thats cool, I want to try something like this. See if you can grab a side pic of the rear of the rear leaf so I can see better whats going on there. Same thing happening in the front?
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Thats cool, I want to try something like this. See if you can grab a side pic of the rear of the rear leaf so I can see better whats going on there. Same thing happening in the front?
i'll take better pics this weekend.

but here is all you need to know > My answer to STIFF suspension - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

words cant really describe the before and after results. MUCH smoother suspension.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

ballends on leafs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which leafs ?? eric113 General Scale Talk 32 11-06-2008 05:44 PM
leafs bigworm Newbie General 2 07-05-2008 09:14 AM
Leafs on a WK? BagoXCAlum HPI Wheely King 2 09-06-2007 05:21 AM
Dubro HD Ballends... Anyone used them EagleOne General Crawlers 3 02-01-2007 12:14 AM