Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: should i get a tf2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default should i get a tf2?

I have a scx10 honcho and a 1.55 c1/2 yj rig I got from a member and my wife has a scx10 wrangler....I really like the scx10 but want a little more of a scale challenge....I love the scale appernce of the tf2 but what are the pros and cons coming from the axial line??
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: should i get a tf2?

There's two cons to the tf2 that I could think of and that's the drive shafts and steering other than that it's a great truck I ran mine at a local g6 event that was full of axial honchos wranglers and custom axial rigs and I placed 2nd the tf2 is a great truck although I suggest bigger tires and helper springs put in the back to help with the axle wrap or Trac bars and the leaf springs will bend if you bash it but overall it a great truck and I love mine
EvanSouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Best bang for the buck. very good design couple of mods and you have a very capable rig.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't buy another trail finder 2 without seeing some serious improvement to the kit. I like the scale body and I love leaf trucks, but its not worth the money, given the amount of use before parts fail.

I bought an scx 10 rtr I replaced the electronics obviously. I bought mips, I bought steel transmission gears. those axles and transmission are still going strong after two years.

I bought a TF2
mips right away obviously. noticed they hadn't managed to line the body up with the axles....... .....good start guys......$400 kit
greased everything when I built it. within 6 months every bearing in both axles and the transfer case had failed, both gear sets in the axles had failed. both aluminum knuckles had worn themselves so loose on the bushings the wheels wobble both cases show that the bearing races have been spinning so essentially machined out the spot the bearing sits in the cases. Also when I did the tear down on the axles I had to slot 5 of the screws with a dremel and take them out with a flat blade screwdriver.

so if you replace all the screws and all the bearings........and both gear sets..... it will be almost as good as the $249 dingo kit.....
almost
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

all these tf2 owners who more than likely have a scx10 and only 3 opinions
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've beat the piss outta my TF2 with no axle or bearing upgrades and had no issues. Gonna get another one to put a Brat body on. Don't have any axial stuff, I mostly stick to vintage or oddball Tamiya stuff, so my opinion is limited.
dasbeermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

You can't get a more scale looking truck with the money. Upgrades are necessary though: the drive shafts will be the first to fail, and if you bash it hard, the shocks might cause problems. I agree with Weapon that the knuckles can wear out a little causing the front wheels to wobble. Considering bashability, it's not what you want. But for normal trail run, it should be a wonderful collection.
Gregorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

I have both the scx10 and the TF2. I prefer the TF2 more because it's more scale looking and it's got a lot of metal parts. The TF2 is only a scale truck and is not meant for rock crawling unless you do some modifications. I've taken mine on trail runs numerous times and haven't had any issues yet. I don't have any complaints about the TF2 except for the price of the parts. RC4WD parts are expensive.

Another reason why you should get the TF2 is because of it's packaging. I never seen such neat and organized packaging in my history of buying RCs. Putting the truck together was easy and fun and no time was wasted scuffling for parts because everything was nicely labelled. Another reason why should get the TF2 is because of the Toyota Hilux hard body. After you paint it and install the lights, it looks just like the real thing. So much better and scale looking than lexan bodies. So yeah, I think you should definitely get the TF2. Probably the best scale truck you will ever own.
ScaleAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yea I would only use this on the scale trail runs and my scx10 as a basher the tf2 will be like a shelf queen
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrcivic View Post
Yea I would only use this on the scale trail runs and my scx10 as a basher the tf2 will be like a shelf queen
I use the SCX10 as a basher too and I actually don't mind breaking the parts because Axial parts are cheap. My TF2 is also a shelf queen.
ScaleAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I love my tf2, Its a great scale truck. I dont baby it but I dont beat on it as much as my scx10....very fun to drive and no problems besides the stock driveshaft.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I've had Axial stuff for years and only recently gave in and bought a TF2. I wanted something a little more scale and with a hard body. It is a very appealing truck in original form. Other than the drive shafts the whole dang truck is aluminum and steel. Add in a 2-speed tranny and you've got a heck of a package deal for $400.

I haven't driven it much yet but I can tell my Axial trucks will spend a little more time on the shelf this summer. Because of the small tires and leaf springs it isn't as capable as my scx10s but it isn't trying to be. For more easy going trail runs it's perfect. The leaf springs and smaller tires add a lot of cool factor to me and make it more fun to drive on a wide variety of terrain.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Just for the record I trail my trucks pretty gently the odd time they do see rocks they are small ones. Also other than a few niggles (axles not lining up to the body, small hexes unusable because the wheels bind, ridiculously low transfer case) I absolutely loved my TF2 all summer until I took it apart for fall maintenance and saw how f%#@ed everything was.

an example of the type of wheeling I do
the gold Toyota and the JK ute are mine.
As you can see not exactly a rough life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTL8hBjkQU
Old 03-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I bought the tf2 as my first rc truck. I've always used others rcs. I was also impressed with the packaging and how easy it was to put together. I love the hard body, and all the accessories it comes with. I've never used beadlocks before, so I've been having some trouble getting the tires on flush, still! Before I even ran it my wheels already wobbled?? Almost as if the knuckles were loose, but I tightened the screws? I wish the front suspension was set up a little different, maybe with taller shock hoops because once everything is on you have no travel up front.. My first run I got hung up on the transfer case skid plate constantly. Going to have to fix that somehow. I don't plan on having a shelf queen, so I'll probably go with a 3- link 4-link setup if my leafs don't soften up. Glad I got this truck though!
xBLAKEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

is there a build thread on the yellow tf2 on this page??
Trail Finder 2 Truck Kit w/Mojave Body Set
Old 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I couldn't find one. Its a beautiful truck.
It looks like an RC4WD accessory showcase.
If you go through the upgrade list and the RC4WD accessories you will probably find everything.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I sold my TF2 after about six months. Nice body and a nice scale looking rig. Drive line leaves something to be desired IMO.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Just my 2 cents without a long rant. They're apples and oranges and can't be compared.

If you have the means and are able to get both then that is what you should do. The best of both worlds,
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I just got mine up an running an I love it. I really like having the 2 speed tranny, I can crawl around an have a pretty quick truck all in one. It is no scx10 but like a lot of people have said they are 2 different trucks. I'm really happy I got one an cant wait to run it more an see what it can do.
mikeman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I just got mine running as well, I really like it, You can't really compare it with a SCX10 two totally different beasts. I have both and like GDB said it's apple and oranges.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote

should i get a tf2? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new tf2 a rogue phoenix RC4WD Trail Finder 2 8 02-22-2013 05:47 PM
Another TF2 from the UK Pete Attryde RC4WD Trail Finder 2 26 09-15-2012 10:54 AM
Tf2 Snowwheeler RC4WD Trail Finder 2 14 08-20-2012 09:39 PM