Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Destroying front diff gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Destroying front diff gears

So I've had a tf2 for a little over a month and went threw two sets of diff gears, is anyone else having this issue, they are stock and I'm not running xvds, motor is a 45t HH and sv3 on 2s, any idea why this is happening.
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Destroying front diff gears

Are the gears shimed right , If not the ring and pinion will definitely get torn up quick.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I got the truck from another member, when the first set blew I just put it back together the way I took it apart
Old 10-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

When you get your new gear make sure all the old grease and metal shaving are cleaned out , Then after you put the new gears in check the backlash. You dont want a lot of slop in between the gears , Once your get them setup grease them up are check them again.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I got it all cleaned up today, and installed them to check it out, how would I go about shiming it if I got to, do I do it to the main gear in the axle or the 3rd member gear, I'm still new to the tf2, I'm used to axial, replace and go
Old 10-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you don't need to much you can just shim the pinion inward . If thats not enough that you'll have to shim the ring gear.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Could you post a write up in how to do it and what's needed. I would find that useful.
Joe$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Simple.
Shimming the pinion: Remove the 3rd, pop the e-clip off the pinion, push the pinion out, add a shim(rc4wd sells shim kits on their site), reinstall the pinion, put the third back in(to check it I usually put 4 screws in), and rotate the pinion if it sounds rough and feels gritty remove the shim you added, if it still feels loose add another shim. Repeat until your satisfied.

I haven't had to shim a ring yet but I'd imagine it's similar to an MRC I'd guess it's: remove the third, take the knuckles off, pop out the axles, add a shim on the flat side of the ring, put the third in and spin. Listen for the same as above.

Hope this helps, I kind of pulled how to shim the ring out of my butt but I'd imagine it's pretty close. IIRC I had to add 1 shim to the pinion on mine. 2 and it got rough.

Ben

Last edited by 88RRC; 10-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
88RRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well after installing a new set if gears with some fine checking before putting the case back on and the first 10 mins out today, shredded the gears, it's getting old, is it that I don't have the xvds in?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Shimming them properly and greasing them up should take care of it. I've run mine pretty hard this summer and both my axles are nice and tight.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

What shims do you use? I looked on their site and don't see any for the yota axles
Old 10-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Jus
I wanna be Dave

All I had to do (front AND rear) is swap around the shims that were already installed on the pinion shafts. I can't believe RC4wd is shipping these trucks so loose. Mine is still not as tight as I'd like AFTER swapping around the shims the way RC4wd assembled them. In my case they had a fat shim on the outside and a thin one on the inside. Pushing/pulling the pinion away from the ring gear. After I swapped them I had an OK gear mesh. I don't have any shims small enough to adjust it any closer without getting too tight but it's better than leaving it alone and hoping for the best.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
All I had to do (front AND rear) is swap around the shims that were already installed on the pinion shafts. I can't believe RC4wd is shipping these trucks so loose. Mine is still not as tight as I'd like AFTER swapping around the shims the way RC4wd assembled them. In my case they had a fat shim on the outside and a thin one on the inside. Pushing/pulling the pinion away from the ring gear. After I swapped them I had an OK gear mesh. I don't have any shims small enough to adjust it any closer without getting too tight but it's better than leaving it alone and hoping for the best.
Yes. Kyosho and Yokomo both make great metric shim sets (HPI sells some too), buy a pack of all sizes that you might ever need and you'll always be able to set gear mesh on diffs, tranny, etc.! I shim all my stuff on all RCs, gears last a long long time this way and run so much quieter.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I done this exact proceedure to mine, both front and rear, as well and no issues so far. And to answer your ? About the cvds bogncrawl......they're not gonna help/fix your problem either. I still have the stock dog bones in mine, now over a year.
FATBOYrs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Gotcha , I'll try it out, thanks for the help, now I gotta buy ANOTHER gear set, kinda sucks
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Well rc4wd was cool enough to send me a set of gears and shims, did some test fitting while shiming the pinion gear. Nice and smooth but yet close fit, and 2 mins out they shred! I thought about shiming the ring gear but it's already a snug fit in the axle, I'm at a loss on this one
Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogncrawl View Post
Well rc4wd was cool enough to send me a set of gears and shims, did some test fitting while shiming the pinion gear. Nice and smooth but yet close fit, and 2 mins out they shred! I thought about shiming the ring gear but it's already a snug fit in the axle, I'm at a loss on this one
I have never heard of somebody shredding 3+ ring and pinion gear sets! I'm still on the original gear sets and haven't had any problems.

What power are you running? Your ring and pinion should be like your inion and spur gear mesh. It should be tight but should still be free moving. Take a picture of how you set up your next gear set and let us check it out for you.

It does sound like your ring gear is 70% of your problem.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm running a HH 45t and a sv3 on 2s, and my tf2 has the gelande single speed tranny in it, I've got another set coming. It's starting to aggravate me. I love the truck but damn, I can have the front apart in about 6 mins lol
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogncrawl View Post
I'm running a HH 45t and a sv3 on 2s, and my tf2 has the gelande single speed tranny in it, I've got another set coming. It's starting to aggravate me. I love the truck but damn, I can have the front apart in about 6 mins lol
Your status underneath your member name is wrong then!

I'm still perplexed at how you're destroying gears like that. It isn't like you are running high power or high voltage. Are you just destroying them on mild obstacles or are you "rock bouncing" it?

Also, how tight is your slipper clutch?

It's crazy because I'm running Yota axles with a 35T on 3S with a rig that weighs close to, if not, 9 lbs. The most and only thing I have broken is a drive cup on the short side axle shaft.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Lol yeah should be gear shredder, and no I'm not rock bouncing it, I'm running on small scale course nothing crazy. And the slipper isn't super tight but isn't super loose it kicks in if it's in a bind , and it only weighs about 6lbs I don't have the camper mounted yet for it.

Destroying front diff gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff gears OKJeepin Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 04-23-2012 06:01 PM
independent front suspension and front diff build canadian scx10 Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2011 07:52 PM
diff gears? venom-crawler General Crawlers 2 07-10-2008 04:47 PM
Destroying 2.2 wheels RD400 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 08-26-2005 11:53 AM