Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Trailfinder 2 vs Gelande 2?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Trailfinder 2 vs Gelande 2?

I've wanted a TF2 for a while because I really like the idea of a (mostly) metal truck! Now that I'm just about ready to pull the trigger the Gelande has caught my eye! I like that the Gelande is 4/3 linked and also comes with the full interior. I like the TF2's pickup style body and of course the 2 speed transmission! They're both the same price but I really don't know which one to go for! Anyone have experience with both? Or any advice? Thanks!
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trailfinder 2 vs Gelande 2?

I went through the same thing trying to decide on a RC4WD kit. They should perform similarly for trail driving so chose the one you think looks cooler. I went with the Gelande Cruiser because it looks awesome. The decision seems to have worked out well for me.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I just purchased the Gelande 2 about a month ago, after pining over the Trailfinder 2 forever and no one having them in stock until October... I'm pretty pleased with my decision.

One thing you have to remember with both trucks is that they're scale trail trucks, and are to be handled as such... Which you probably know that lol. The Gelande 2 may slightly outperform the Trailfinder due to being linked, but it's pretty top-heavy due to having a full interior and being an SUV...

In my opinion, the 2 speed tranny isn't a super big deal on a scale trail truck with the stock Yota axles. You hook too much power or speed to either one of those trucks and you're in for a world of hurt.

They're both great trucks, and from my recent experience rc4wd makes a great kit. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either one.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think I'm gonna go with the Gelande.. After some research I see that it comes with the newer axles (one piece). I liked the 2 speed idea but some people complain about slop in the gears for the shifting mechanism. I've read that the Gelande shocks have trouble keeping oil in them.. Are you having problems with yours?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by norco kid View Post
I've read that the Gelande shocks have trouble keeping oil in them.. Are you having problems with yours?
I replaced the o-rings with Traxxas x-rings, they haven't leaked a drop yet.

TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Shock Rebuild Kit
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

i had the same issue when getting ready to order my tf2, but i really wanted to go with the leaf sprung setup and am really glad i did. i love the challenge of driving it.
greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Get whatever rig you cant get out of your head .
desertdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdude View Post
Get whatever rig you cant get out of your head .
What this guy said!

lol.

To be honest, you'll probably end up with both of them anyways if you wind up getting hooked like the rest of us... Rc4wd kits are a little more refined than Axial kits or Tamiya kits.

And by a little, I mean no slop and no wood screws and ounces of threadlock. I'm not even 100% done with my Cruiser build and I can't wait until October for the Trailfinder 2 to be back in stock... Like I said, good stuff man.

Scale is an absolute HOOT to drive without wanting to booger up your beautiful hardbodies too...

I cried when I rolled Penny for the first time...

But it was all good because she looked real doing it ; ) lol.

Let us know what you decide! Can't wait to see the build!
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You want a tf2 cause of the bed of the truck
Then get a d90 and get the d90 truck body for it

Or maybe go with tf2 and get a d90 body
Not sure if its perfect fit tho
HARDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Lol why not throw the gelande with the cruiser body into the mix
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I do want to throw in my two cents.

You won't be disappointed with either rig. However, I strongly disagree with the previous comments donwlplaying the two speed tranny. It's wonderful and separates this truck from many others.

Everybodys driving style is different as well as the terrain, however I find many cases where I need 1st gear and many where I need 2nd. It's probably an even mix of 50/50.

Lastly, when people see me scale truck so detailed, they get impressed. Then when I show them a functional winch and a two speed tranny, they drop their jaw.
4X42HEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:56 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Default Trailfinder 2 vs Gelande 2?

You can't go wrong either way, and as a few people mentioned, you'll likely end up with both. A couple of thoughts to add:
- In stock (or close to stock) form, the Gelandes are noticeably more top-heavy than the TF2. If you add a roof rack, it gets even more noticeable. That makes them a challenge and a lot more fun on easier terrain like trails and light rocks.
- The stock leaf suspension in the TF2 offers very limited performance, but with a few mods, the leafs can be made to perform very well. It takes a completely different approach than links, and many of us have enjoyed finding ways to get them to perform.
- The CCHand interior kit for the TF2 is excellent, albeit pricey. If the cost doesn't scare you, it's definitely worth it.
- The 2-speed is a lot of fun, and the inevitable slop never bothers me. If you were planning to do mostly technical crawling, you'd notice it. But it's a non-issue if you're mostly going to have fun out on the trails and light rocks.
- Depending on how you plan to run these, you may find the Yota housings in the TF2 to be a little more durable than the housings in the Yota 2 axles (esp. at the integrated carrier where the knuckles attach). If you get the Gelande, make sure to use thread lock on the knuckle screws and don't over tighten them.

I put together guides for both the TF2 and Gelande 2 that give some additional info and tips:
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/forumdispl...Trail-Finder-2
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...-the-Gelande-2

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 10-14-2015 at 07:52 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Hmm.. I'm really leaning towards the Gelande now.. It has 1.9's instead of 1.55's too.. Funny how the D90 body is $80 and includes full interior where as the Mojave is 110 without interior though..
Old 09-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #14

I'll stick up for the 2speed transmission as well. I put the ax2 in my wraith 2 yrs ago and run brushless mmp on 3s and haven't had a problem other than a bearing wear due to mud and water. So I wouldn't deem that a negative in your pros and cons list. I ordered my tf2 kit yesterday and can't wait myself.
etanthegreat138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

This is a great topic and I fully endorse it. I personally ended up with a TF2 because well I found a ARTR here more than a year ago. It came linked but I converted it back to leafs and man what a fun truck to drive! I repainted it then scratched it all to pffff. It needs new paint but it's so fun I spend my time driving instead of painting (that's what Winter is for right?). I literally just bought my Gelande 2 as a new kit. With similar attitude I painted it over a 3 day period and immediately took it out to drive. With the interior out of it this one doesn't seem too top heavy. I imagine that will change somewhat when the interior is installed. Then today I drove it 5 miles and scratched it all to pffff. Oh, and I will mention that I swapped tires and ran the 1.55 rc4wd wheels with Pitbull Growlers. IMHO they look better than the stockers which are now on the TF2.

All in all though, get the rig you like looking at most. They all perform really well and are great quality.

Pics because I'm overly excited about this rig.

nsimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Can't figure out what I like more - the rig or the scenery. And agree on all fronts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I personally went with the TF2 but I also did some trading and have a Gelande coming as well! I personally like the way both of them handle the trails. They are 2 different driving styles that is for sure!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone for your input, and thanks new2rocks for those 2 excellent guides. In the end, I went with the Gelande because I have a Tamiya F350 and I thought it would be similar to the TF2 (having a pick up truck body, leafs and a multi speed transmission). I liked the fact that the Gelande has 1.9 tires and the Yota 2 axles.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Can't go wrong either way! Make sure to post up your build pics...we all like pictures of fresh trucks around here lol!
2003EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Get both of em problem solved

I went thru the same situation
I couldnt make up my mind if its the d110 or tf2
But since i already have an experienced with tf2 kit(gave it away)
I went with d110
But now got tired of my d110
So im wating for tf2 rtr or kit which ever tower hobbies get first

Last edited by HARDRIVE; 09-28-2015 at 08:08 PM.
HARDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote

Trailfinder 2 vs Gelande 2? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gelande 2 BoyFreakWonder 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 01-31-2017 10:38 PM
gelande 2 kaiser552 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 01-02-2015 09:45 PM
Trailfinder 2 and Gelande 2 seychelles Scale Videos! 0 01-16-2014 09:34 AM