Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Brand New RC4WD Trail Finder 2 w/BROKEN TRANSMISSION GEAR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brand New RC4WD Trail Finder 2 w/BROKEN TRANSMISSION GEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRC View Post
What did you use? I was thinking of a small washer or maybe even fab a sleeve to fit a little tighter between the inner berrings and the c-clips.

P.S. Sorry to hijack the thread here.

I had a couple of packages of misc sized shims that I picked up at an LHS and used an assortment on either side of the ring bearings to reduce the left-right play. I might have even thrown a washer or two in there. It was a bit of trial and error, so I frankly don't remember the exact combination that I ended up with on each side. The basic idea was simple enough - try various combinations of shims and washers on either side until I found one that minimized play while still allowing the axle to spin smoothly. You can pick up shim packages at any LHS or online. I don't think it's necessary to fab anything. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

check the mesh the same as you do on a 1:1, paint the ring gear and keep shimming until you get even wear in the paint
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I had a couple of packages of misc sized shims that I picked up at an LHS and used an assortment on either side of the ring bearings to reduce the left-right play. I might have even thrown a washer or two in there. It was a bit of trial and error, so I frankly don't remember the exact combination that I ended up with on each side. The basic idea was simple enough - try various combinations of shims and washers on either side until I found one that minimized play while still allowing the axle to spin smoothly. You can pick up shim packages at any LHS or online. I don't think it's necessary to fab anything. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
I will be finishing this tonight.

In other news RC4WD got back to me. They want pictures and a recepit.
Hopefully after that I will get some new parts...
CTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #24

I installed the new gears, and my Trail Finder is now rock solid. I've ran it pretty hard over the last couple of days, going through the gears on various terrain, and it seems as tough as nails.

Worth mentioning....the new gears are machined from solid steel, not multi-piece, pressed together. Maybe I got an early run TF2??

Bluzboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:36 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Good to know! Mine is the RTR version and I just opened it to grease the gears, so I hope mine is one solid piece.
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Male View Post
Good to know! Mine is the RTR version and I just opened it to grease the gears, so I hope mine is one solid piece.
I'll be curious to know which gears you have, since the RTR version is a more recent product. Also, your RTR comes with a single-speed trans. Maybe post a pic when you get it apart? Thx.

Mike
Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #27

It's been 2 full months since I got my TF2's transmission gear issues sorted, and I've run the truck fairly hard since then. We had an especially intense trail run this past Friday which included a LOT of rock crawling, some full speed runs in 2nd gear over rugged terrain, and a few stretches of axle deep stream crossing. The Trail Finder handled it ALL like a champ. I feel that if something in the trans was going to let go, it would have happened during this run.

Dare I say, I'm contemplating ANOTHER TF2 build? Tower Hobbies has had multiple restocks of the TF2 since I purchased my "problem child", so I feel as though I'd certainly get a most recent release of the truck if I were to order one from them. Wish me luck!

Mike F
Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #28

Got my first TF2 in the last month and had a rear axle housing that was not right, the front pinion needed quite of shimming, and a low gear that had substantial surface imperfection that caused the truck to VERY loud. They took care of me, but I too was concerned about what was going on with rc4wd, you always nothing but good things about them. Hopefully they get things figured out.
JOHNSON! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Do it! I've put mine through the paces, shifting the tranny very regularly, and even let my 5-year old have at it for 2 hours, and it's been solid as a rock. I'm likely to do a SWB build later this year.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzboy66 View Post
Purchased my TF2 kit from Tower Hobbies on Sept 18, along with a Tekin 35t and FX-R ESC.

Right out of the box the front differential was missing the inner pinion shaft bearing. Contacted RC4WD and they sent me replacement. All was good. And then....

I got the kit assembled and everything dialed in perfectly, and took it outside for its maiden run this past Saturday. Within 5 minutes of sidewalk cruising and fine tuning, shifted to 2nd gear, hit the throttle, and the truck slowed to a crawl, eventually coming to a full stop. Motor revved, but truck sat still.

Took it back inside and disassembled it. Found that the 2nd gear in the transmission had literally SNAPPED where it's pressed into the drum. !! This happened on the truck's very first run! Didn't even make it to the TRAIL.

Anyone but me ever experience this? I contacted RC4WD customer service and received a reply from "Tanecia" saying that they'd look into it, and get back to me. That was a week ago. Nothing. I should have a replacement gear by now.

Frustrated, and disappointed in this truck so far. I sold a perfectly good running Tamiya Ford F-350 High Lift to finance this build.

Mike F.

[IMG][/IMG]
this just happened to mine exactly the same crack too! i have had mine a little over a year though but without even a question they sent me a new one within a week. three days actually
olds442_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442_hurst View Post
this just happened to mine exactly the same crack too! i have had mine a little over a year though but without even a question they sent me a new one within a week. three days actually
!! ....Did they send you the upgraded gears?
Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluzboy66 View Post
!! ....Did they send you the upgraded gears?
No

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
olds442_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442_hurst View Post
No

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Well damn!

Brand New RC4WD Trail Finder 2 w/BROKEN TRANSMISSION GEAR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail Finder 2 Bad Shifting Transmission fadi.join Newbie General 3 05-10-2014 08:22 AM