Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Happy and disappointed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Happy and disappointed

Well my kit and my rtr finder 2 came in, had to get 2 cause I can't wait to go scaling while I build, anyway I have always bought and loved the rc4wd parts in the past but was very disappointed in who ever built the rtr. First off the leaf springs were installed wrong, then I noticed three of the tranny screws were only started and hanging out, when I opened the box 2 screws and 1 nut fell out on the floor! Then while going over all the screws before hittin the trails I then noticed we're there should have been long drive shaft screws ( according to the manual) there were set screws that did t even reach the flat part on the shaft! And one of them was put in sideways and striped! Now I have had 30 years of rtr rc items and have never had this many issues at one time with a new rig! I also realize that this is a new company and don't know if its a one man garage shop business and he is over loaded with orders but one should not have missed so many issues. I sent him a email and hope it does the right thing, Other than that I fixed it up accessorized the rig and love it, pics comin soon, thanks all for lettin me vent and wonder if anyone out there had this issue.

Last edited by krazikev; 12-22-2014 at 06:00 PM.
krazikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Happy and disappointed

Far from a new company and not quite a one man show.

The kids in China put your truck together me thinks.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

My rtr also came with the drive shaft issue I since have replaced the shafts with punishers and proper pin screws. Also I found several stripped screw heads specifically on the leaf spring mounts other than that im loving it already have a second body changed out to mickey thompson 1.55 mtzs lighting kit and the tamiya hilux grille as well as steel bumpers and sliders. I also found a lack of grease in the axles transfer case and transmission so might want to check that enjoy your tf2.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Don't think this was assembled over seas, the address is here in the US and with more people having issues it surprising that this forum supports rc4wd, I also forgot to mention that my winch and bumper holes didnt line up either, heck my radio shack XMOD 4x4 truck didn't even have any issues, doesn't say much for rc4wd. I guess if they don't change there tune they will go out of business, after all who wants to buy from a company that can't make a product right? Very sad, well I guess all I can say is wake up rc4wd before its to late!!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #5

This is one reason I do not buy rtr's. Half the fun is building it. For sure a chinamen build your rig, it is well know that rc4wd is heavily relying on china these day. Still one of the better scale companies out there.
JOHNSON! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSON! View Post
This is one reason I do not buy rtr's. Half the fun is building it. For sure a chinamen build your rig, it is well know that rc4wd is heavily relying on china these day. Still one of the better scale companies out there.
Completely agree here.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazikev View Post
I guess if they don't change there tune they will go out of business, after all who wants to buy from a company that can't make a product right? Very sad, well I guess all I can say is wake up rc4wd before its to late!!
These very words could have been typed in 2005.

You can even search on RCC for them.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have never bought an rtr from rc4wd always the kits for me however I have noticed a few over seas only rtrs that come in rc4wd looking boxes posted here and there one was called the gallop 2 and there was a 6x6 as well..im waiting on a D110 gelande as of now and rpp did tell me almost all rc4wd stuff is shipped from china and being that its all metal I would expect to go over everything on it .....rc4wd is one of my favorites nit without issues but still great stuff.....you should read some of the stories about that rtr capo tatra rig for $2500 .......

Sent from your moms house
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSON! View Post
The main reason I bought the rtr was availability at local hobby shop which I proudly support and yes kits are great but rtr's are bringing more people into this hobby so dont start running people down for purchasing an rtr btw im also a proud owner of 3 scx10 kits a cc01 and now an rtr trailfinder this hobby is growing and rtr's like it or not is whats getting more people involved theres nothing wrong with buying an rtr tearing it down and making it your own
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Theres nothing wrong with buying any hobby grade rtr......but rtr is not really rtr .....its always recommended by me and most people to go over everything especially on an all metal rig like a TF2......like I said even that $2500 tatra rig had issues according to the few that bought one.......i still swear by axial/rc4wd/tamiya......my faves.... all good fun rigs rtr or kit

Sent from your moms house
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #11

I just got my rtr trailfinder last week, other than having to shim the rear axle I haven't had any problems. Pretty high quality rig right out of the box!
Drclarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

Got my RTR today.. No issues. Everything was good out of the box! Did a quick check of screws, etc.. Ran it for 1/2 hr or so in the woods behind my house.. Good times.. Question on the shiming of rear axe..what do u use for that?

Josefmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I got my TF2 as an rtr and mine had no issues as well! Even with the notorious driveshafts I was able to run mine for a couple of weeks without it breaking or twisting.
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefmd View Post
Got my RTR today.. No issues. Everything was good out of the box! Did a quick check of screws, etc.. Ran it for 1/2 hr or so in the woods behind my house.. Good times.. Question on the shiming of rear axe..what do u use for that?

Usually you can swap the pinion shims using the thicker of the two on the inside of the housing, and the thinner shim on the outer pinion bearing. This moves the pinion gear closer to the ring gear for a better contact pattern. I did find on my last axle assy. that I needed to move the ring gear away from the pinion after the shim swap - (side to side). That was done by swapping one of the shims with a thinner one on the ring gear and bearing assembly. It's now smooth as cream.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #15

I also have had a TF 2 RTR for about a 6 weeks so far. Have had alot of fun with the truck. It was my first scale truck or crawler. I would say I have had good luck with mine so far. I shimmed the rears and greased and loctited everything before even running it. I didnt break a single thing until I started changing things. The driveshafts are a weak spot and so are the front axles. The steering servo was crap also. But even with those problems I still like the truck.
Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

ok I contacted rc4wd and they are sending me a set of new long drive train set screws and said they were very sorry on the assembly, also told me they do assembly here in usa and over seas, I gave them the make # and they said they will trace truck to see were it was assembled to notify them. anyway I do love the truck here are some pics of my custom bench seat and painted mud affect on windshield, more customs coming, thanks all for the replys and merry xmas to all!!

just got the driveshaft set screws from rc4wd, I am glad they did the right thing

Last edited by THX_138; 11-24-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well huh, i just ordered the rtr. I was going to get the kit but for the extra money for the electronics I figured a quick coat to water proof would be worth seeing how they do. I planned on ripping it apart and lock tight everything and grease everything. Sounds like to me it just depends on if you get a Monday built rig ( hung over ) or a Friday built rig ( ready to leave work) hope mine was a Wednesday built rig after a pep talk from the boss lol. I've even had some issues with axial rtr rigs with things not being tight or over tight a actually had 2 shocks missing the c clips on the shock shafts missing.
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I picked up a RTR TF2 as well. Only prob with mine was ring in shocks that holds ball in have popped out. I could have picked up a kit but this came with everything i needed.
SirChirpAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChirpAlot View Post
I picked up a RTR TF2 as well. Only prob with mine was ring in shocks that holds ball in have popped out. I could have picked up a kit but this came with everything i needed.
this is simply an issue with the shocks, i have the same problem on my kit version
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy and disappointed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disappointed chumpy1965 Paint and Body 13 03-09-2014 07:17 PM
Disappointed :( Fanfor88 Axial Wraith 46 12-23-2011 10:32 AM
Disappointed kmrunner Axial SCX-10 20 01-14-2010 04:01 PM
Anyone else disappointed? Mikey007 Chit Chat 1 02-21-2009 04:47 PM
A Little Disappointed twisted Tamiya CR-01 8 11-13-2008 11:31 PM