Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Ooooh...a Tf2 Mojave 2 by Roo (and new2...rocks)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 04:40 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ooooh...a Tf2 Mojave 2 by Roo2 (and new2...rocks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Early American market Toyota dealer sold 4x4 pickups were conversions with divorced t-case, spring shackles in front (like a Jeep), tiny Dana front axle, iirc these were 1976-1978 or there-abouts with the Toyota factory manufacturing the 1979 and newer models. So, technically it could be correct either way.

Thanks for update, I wondered if it really made a wheeling difference in 1/10th scale. I was kinda figuring it probably didn't.

Do you have build thread for that "other" yellow Yota?

Interesting historical footnote, Nate. Thanks for sharing. I doubt it will make any difference at all but will know more as soon as I get it out on the trails. That should be soon, BTW. Came up about a can short of my base color, so waiting for more to arrive so I can finish the base and move onto the 2-tone. Hoping to get the body done over New Years.

Here's the link to my other thread:
TF2 = time to push my scale envelope
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

That looks very good so far... It's made me want to buy another one anyway, which I'm very very close to doing!
It's just too bad Tower Hobbies don't have the kits in until mid-Jan, the big NY discount code will be gone by then and that makes all the difference when importing to the UK.
Sorry to kind of threadjack here but are there any other good USA based stores with high value discount codes?
Again, awesome looking truck so far and it's also great to see Roo getting stuck in too, got to love when a kid takes an interest in mechanics and how things go together properly!
Tell him he has two fans lol.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
That looks very good so far... It's made me want to buy another one anyway, which I'm very very close to doing!
It's just too bad Tower Hobbies don't have the kits in until mid-Jan, the big NY discount code will be gone by then and that makes all the difference when importing to the UK.
Sorry to kind of threadjack here but are there any other good USA based stores with high value discount codes?
Again, awesome looking truck so far and it's also great to see Roo getting stuck in too, got to love when a kid takes an interest in mechanics and how things go together properly!

Lol...responses:
1. Thanks
2. Do it
3. I think Tower will take a back order with coupon code. Worth a try. If not, next choice would be RPP.
4. Roo says thanks!

Be sure to post up once you start your build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Dooo eeeet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Lol...responses:
1. Thanks
2. Do it
3. I think Tower will take a back order with coupon code. Worth a try. If not, next choice would be RPP.
4. Roo says thanks!

Be sure to post up once you start your build!

2. Yes, do it
3. They took mine on New Years Eve, kept screen shot of my order before and after clicking purchase, just in case. They don't bill until it ships, so we'll see.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #65
Rock Crawler

Worth a try then! I didn't know they'd accept a back ordered discount code.
My gripe with RPP is the shipping costs, they wanted $50 for some CI foams I just ordered for my SCX10, I got the same items elsewhere, faster shipping method (still across the water, not the UK) and it was $6 shipping lol.
I will have a shop around the $100 discount code just helped a lot from Tower Hobbies, it's where I bought my old TF2 from as well.

EDIT; Just checked RPP and for the slowest shipping it's almost $130.
A faster shipping method on Towers is only $68.
Uh RPP sucks for shipping to the UK!

Last edited by Oh How Original; 01-02-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

At long last, after getting sidetracked with the holidays, work travel, family vacation, and various other things, Roo and I were able to get back at it this weekend. Base color had been painted, so it was time to mask:
Name:  DSC03462.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  DSC03464.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  88.8 KB

With another likely winter weather shutdown tomorrow, we should be able to make some more progress.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Nice build. I'm going to eventually give in to the urge to buy one of these. Your body mount trick is excellent. The body mount screws stick out like sore thumbs on these rigs and take away from the scale look. I'm probably going to buy an RTR and blow it apart. Some of your tricks will be used.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #68

Quote:
It's the foams much more so than the tires. If I keep them, I will probably throw in some CIs to stiffen them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's cls?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
kennypreston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypreston65 View Post
What's cls?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Crawler innovation foams.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
Nice build. I'm going to eventually give in to the urge to buy one of these. Your body mount trick is excellent. The body mount screws stick out like sore thumbs on these rigs and take away from the scale look. I'm probably going to buy an RTR and blow it apart. Some of your tricks will be used.

Thanks! Glad you found it helpful. I look forward to seeing yours. Be sure to post!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #71

Love your build thread! Lots of great ideas Rocks & Roo! Thanks for the load of detailed pics and detailed posts!

How did you end up doing the mounting/support of the bed to the chassis? Or did those pads you glued under the bed, just rest on the top of the shock mounting crossmember?

Cheers mate!
weavty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavty1 View Post
Love your build thread! Lots of great ideas Rocks & Roo! Thanks for the load of detailed pics and detailed posts!

How did you end up doing the mounting/support of the bed to the chassis? Or did those pads you glued under the bed, just rest on the top of the shock mounting crossmember?

Cheers mate!

Thanks much! Glad you've enjoyed. I haven't yet figured out what, if anything, we need to do to support the bed. It's firmly attached to the cab with 2 screws on each side, and the cab is very firmly attached to the body with the filed-down posts. So it won't need much. I may stick a couple of pairs of magnets under the bed or possibly just some rubber feet for a bit of support. I'll update as soon as I finish the body and get to that stage. (I've gotten sidetracked by a few other builds over the past couple of months.)

Old 04-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Wow...it's been a while, but the build is back in motion after a surprisingly busy winter and early spring. I was able to get the base coat and rocker accent color down with nice clean lines, as well as a bed liner. I then added the "rubber" rocker strips (leather strips from the crafts store) to get to this:

Test fit of the interior shows that it will need a bit of work to get everything lining up properly:

Still need to detail the grill and add lights, lenses, etc.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ooooh...a Tf2 Mojave 2 by Roo (and new2...rocks)

I can't believe how long this has been sitting aside for other projects. Anyway, I decided this was the weekend to make another push. So I finished the grill, added lenses, and the CC Hand beefy roll bar with GMade light buckets on top. Here's how she sits:

Name:  DSC00875.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  DSC00879.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  146.3 KB

No matter how hard I try to convince myself to look for another wheel and tire combo, I seem to keep coming back to the accidentally weathered Gear Head Classic 12-Hole wheels wrapped in Dick Cepek Fun Country rubber:
Name:  DSC00876 cropped.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  173.8 KB

Yes...the Gear Heads have too much offset, but I think I just don't care.

The CC Hand Steel Tube Rollbar Rack is exactly the look I was going for:
Name:  DSC00881.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  91.0 KB

And the interior finally has its home (though I need to straighten out the floor mats):
Name:  DSC00882.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  DSC00883.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  91.1 KB

I still have a few things to do, the biggest of which is wiring up the lights. But she can hit the trails as is, and I can't wait to get her out.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ooooh...a Tf2 Mojave 2 by Roo (and new2...rocks)

Wow this truck looks awesome. Now that I have one under my belt I think Ill add a second this winter
ribaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #76
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So I had a hunch last night when I first looked at the full cab back, and I decided to test it.

Attachment 327390

Notice anything different...?

I do. You can now use the full cab back with the bed without having to trim the cab back. Thank you, RC4WD!

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get the battery tray to clear the transfer case with the high clearance skid and still have enough room for everything that will need to go in the interior (including the interior, lol). That will be this morning's project...

So, if one were going to use the cab and the cab back without the bed, would one need to just fill the gap in with styrene? Or can you still get the original Mojave cab backs?
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote