Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Got My Trail Finder 2 RTR Today!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Got My Trail Finder 2 RTR Today!!!

Hi everyone!!!

I've had trail trucks in the past (Honcho, two CC-01s, Crawler King, Mini Trail Trekker) but ended up moving all of them when I wasn't using them as I was always out by myself and I got tired of wandering around the woods on my own.

So recently, though, a coworker of mine started talking about how he'd always wanted to get into RC but never had anybody to do it with. He didn't really know how many RC things I've owned and I told him if he was interested in getting into it I'd be glad to show him the ropes. Two days later he had an Axial Grave Digger on the way, an ECX brushless Torment, a DX4C radio, and that not yet released SCX10 ii kit.

I had told him I'd be interested in getting back into trailing if I had someone else to do it with, so when he told me he'd ordered the SCX10, I figured I had to get something, too.

I wanted something different...because that seems to just be what I do...and I really liked the look and features of the TF2. I ordered one from Tower, and with the coupons and such was basically able to get the basic lighting kit for free because the $17 they cost ended up getting me to the level to get a coupon that was $15 more. Good stuff.

Anyway, it arrived today and I'm already in love. It's an amazing kit. I don't have any thread lock right now...I grabbed mine and it had leaked all over the inside of my drawer in my desk. D'oh!!!! I'll get some more on my day off and get started going through and making sure all the hardware is tight.

I'm also planning on putting more grease in the axles as I read in the Team RC4WD Comprehensive Guide that this is recommended.

I do have a couple of questions for you guys, though...hopefully they aren't too terribly newbish...

I typically use white lithium grease for my RC gears...is this sufficient for inside the axle on the TF2? Or should I be looking at something else?

Secondly, I read this in the Guide:
Quote:
Swap the input shaft shims on the front axle so that the thicker shim is inside the axle housing behind the pinion and the thinner shim is outside the housing next to the c-clip.
Is there no reason to really worry about the rear axle when doing this?

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Got My Trail Finder 2 RTR Today!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
...Anyway, it arrived today and I'm already in love. It's an amazing kit.

I'm also planning on putting more grease in the axles as I read in the Team RC4WD Comprehensive Guide that this is recommended.

I typically use white lithium grease for my RC gears...is this sufficient for inside the axle on the TF2? Or should I be looking at something else?

Secondly, I read this in the Guide:

Is there no reason to really worry about the rear axle when doing this?

Thanks!
Jeff
Awesome and congrats, the detail in these are amazing! I like good old molybdenum black grease (synthetic version is even nicer) or Lucas Red And Tacky for gears. Definitely do the axle shims in both axles....I shim all gears in all my RC, makes them run that much longer and better.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Awesome and congrats, the detail in these are amazing! I like good old molybdenum black grease (synthetic version is even nicer) or Lucas Red And Tacky for gears. Definitely do the axle shims in both axles....I shim all gears in all my RC, makes them run that much longer and better.

Sweet thanks!

I ended up getting some of the grease and the shims directly from RC4WD.

Today I ended up greasing the axles, then I shimmed both. They both needed one extra shim to remove the play from the shaft.

I also went through and used thread lock on all of the metal-metal hardware.

So now the truck is ready to hit the trails!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the TF2 club! Sounds like you're off to a good start. With a little bit of setup work and wheel time, you should have no problem hanging with your buddy's SCX10.

Re the axle shimming, you shouldn't need to do anything to the rear, just the shim swap up front. For grease, I use Lucas Red N Tacky, but any high quality automotive grease should be just fine.

Make sure to post some pix, and ask away if you have any other questions.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Welcome to the TF2 club! Sounds like you're off to a good start. With a little bit of setup work and wheel time, you should have no problem hanging with your buddy's SCX10.

Re the axle shimming, you shouldn't need to do anything to the rear, just the shim swap up front. For grease, I use Lucas Red N Tacky, but any high quality automotive grease should be just fine.

Make sure to post some pix, and ask away if you have any other questions.
Hi thanks!!!

I ended up shimming both because when I took the front one apart to swap the shims...there was only one shim in there!! It was on the outside. When I took the rear apart, same thing...only one shim.

So I put them back together after shimming them up and now they're nice and tight with no play but still spin freely without binding the wheels up.

I was a bit surprised to see that there was only one shim on each of them, and on both it was on the outside. Both of them had a noticeable amount of play before I took them apart, so I guess that explains why!!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm...that's the first time I've heard of that one. Sounds like you did the right thing and are right on track. That's one of the reasons I always keep an assortment of shims and spacers on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:21 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

My tf2 kit also only came with shims on the outside. I decided to leave mine how it came. The play did not seem to bad to me. Hopefully i will not regret it
Oldgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Got My Trail Finder 2 RTR Today!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trail finder 2 rtr Bing Newbie General 5 04-01-2016 04:30 PM
rc4wd Trail Finder 2 RTR MikeMontgomery1970 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 31 08-18-2015 12:38 PM