Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2
Loading

Notices

Thread: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Hey guys, after about two weeks of having the TF2 and many months seeing other TF2s on this forum, I finally decided to do a "build" thread.

I'm planning on adding a Tamiya Hilux Interior and a Roll Bar! I also have some inner wheel wells that I will cutout and paint after exams... might lower it to give a more "stock" appearance also at some point.

First Day!


Added some lights to the order!


Thanks RPPHobby for the poster!


Almost immediatly removed the plastic bumpers...


Stickers in place and bumper mounted!


Had to glue the lights onto the bumper since the screws wouldn't fit... thanks CCHAND Glad its only going to be a shelf queen!
Light covers look excellent- like my real Hellas! Also ordered and installed a black bumper.




Next to my SCX10!

Last edited by Ghost Koi; 01-16-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Posts: 1,031
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Those stripes look kinda familiar, lol. Looks good, love that front bumper, just wish a winch would mount to it.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Alright guys, after a couple of hours each weekend and with the help of new2rocks and some others around the forum (thanks for all of the great suggestions in my other threads) I have finally lowered my TF2 to a more "stock" height.

Next on the list are inner wheel wells (I have them cutout but unpainted) and an interior which also needs to be painted.

Also, thanks sb4pro for the red tie down tabs... really did complete the shell!





Still sits a little unevenly (I believe because of the leaf springs) but its not that noticeable.





Now if only someone could recommend some smaller tires!

Last edited by Ghost Koi; 01-31-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,202
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

need to resize your pics man. Way too big.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
need to resize your pics man. Way too big.
Try and refresh the page... I don't know why Imgur does that but it seems like it takes a few tries
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Welderville just south of benchviseland
Posts: 634
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Looking good so far! Smaller tire recommendations? Hmmm... I think the dirt grabbers are smaller, and would look good on there. I have pics in the beginning of my build thread with the dirt grabbers on there just for kicks. Also look into the Dick Cepeck fun country's. Another good looking stockish tire. If you're after a stock look, the rc4wd 1.55 bare-steel Landies would make for a killer stock truck.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,202
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Geez I thought the Mud thrashers were small enough. lol
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Welderville just south of benchviseland
Posts: 634
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Geez I thought the Mud thrashers were small enough. lol
...Small and too hard : / The 1.55s are where it's at on these trucks, but good tire and wheel choices in the 1.55 department are kind of lacking... Hence why most of the really cool 1.55 Trailfinders either have Growlers or Rock Stompers
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,202
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflektr View Post
...Small and too hard : / The 1.55s are where it's at on these trucks, but good tire and wheel choices in the 1.55 department are kind of lacking... Hence why most of the really cool 1.55 Trailfinders either have Growlers or Rock Stompers
Only way to go imo! But I'm a pitbull guy so growlers it is!
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Golf course
Posts: 66
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

where did you get the sticker/stripe kit? looks killer
Microgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgolf View Post
where did you get the sticker/stripe kit? looks killer
Here you go, Crawler Graphics Toyota Hi Lux Stripe kit. Red

Seems like the ones purchased are out of stock but I believe there are a few more colors available!
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:56 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Alright, just finished the inner wheel wells and the interior. I reused the stickers from the stock interior to give a little more detail. I also super glued the side panels of the shell to the tailgate at the back to keep them from sticking out.



Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #13
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Fortuna Calif.
Posts: 997
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

I am new to the TF2 platform. I noticed that when you lowered your truck you mounted the leafs under the axle,how has that performed for you? It looks to me as if you wouldnt have to much travel with the springs like that, dont take this as a dig just curious. Thanks
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
I am new to the TF2 platform. I noticed that when you lowered your truck you mounted the leafs under the axle,how has that performed for you? It looks to me as if you wouldnt have to much travel with the springs like that, dont take this as a dig just curious. Thanks
I haven't been able to take it yet due to a few problems with my ESC but you're correct that there is not much travel in the suspension. I found it helpful to remove the springs from the shocks and to move the back shocks forward two "holes" to give a little more room.

I may also remove the bottom two leafs to try and soften the suspension further.

Overall, the mod is great for scale looks but not so much for crawling. Oh well, I guess that's what they make SCX10s for!





Up next, I might add some "scale" shocks, shock boots, a roll bar, steering stabilizers, realistic leaf springs, and round headlights... may take until around June though.

Last edited by Ghost Koi; 02-06-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Alright guys, after a long "college application" process I am back with a few minor mods I had been planning. I painted and then added inner door frames, new plastic mirrors from Axial, and a small "Toyota" badge on the tailgate. I'll update more as the summer progresses.





Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Hey guys, I'm not sure any is still following this thread (if anyone ever did to begin with ) but I figure I would still try and update it a little, if not for my own records. Anyway, I am still planning on adding the Scale Shocks from RC4WD as well as some of the red colored shock boots. I am also still trying to construct some inner wheel wells for the rear wheels. Does anyone know of any good material that would work?

Sadly, I will be leaving for college in a couple of weeks so much of these mods will likely have to wait until this winter when I am on break.
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,202
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Styrene for fenders.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #18
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 630
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Koi View Post
Hey guys, I'm not sure any is still following this thread (if anyone ever did to begin with ) but I figure I would still try and update it a little, if not for my own records. Anyway, I am still planning on adding the Scale Shocks from RC4WD as well as some of the red colored shock boots. I am also still trying to construct some inner wheel wells for the rear wheels. Does anyone know of any good material that would work?

Sadly, I will be leaving for college in a couple of weeks so much of these mods will likely have to wait until this winter when I am on break.
Just came across this thread few days ago, decided to buy the CCHand bumper you have and the Hella lamps. Hoping I can find some hardware to mount them to the bumper instead of using glue. A little disappointed they would make products that look like they should go hand and hand but don't work with each other. They look great though. As for wheel wells, I used set of disposable lunch containers from the dollar store, (they were literally 1 dollar lol). I cut them in half and trimmed them and they look perfect IMO. Now I haven't done the rear, but I imagine you could apply the same principle. I've seen others do the same exact thing with the same results. Hope that helps. Great looking rig BTW.

Last edited by tokdl; 08-06-2016 at 09:55 PM.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:47 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: NoVa
Posts: 116
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Just came across this thread few days ago, decided to buy the CCHand bumper you have and the Hella lamps. Hoping I can find some hardware to mount them to the bumper instead of using glue. A little disappointed they would make products that look like they should go hand and hand but don't work with each other. They look great though. As for wheel wells, I used set of disposable lunch containers from the dollar store, (they were literally 1 dollar lol). I cut them in half and trimmed them and they look perfect IMO. Now I haven't done the rear, but I imagine you could apply the same principle. I've seen others do the same exact thing with the same results. Hope that helps. Great looking rig BTW.
Thanks! For what it's worth, another somewhat strange thing about the CCHand bumper is that it uses a kind of "friction" fit where you have to screw the mounting posts down into little indentations rather than a fully drilled out socket. It's pretty easy but definitely something that confused me originally, especially after having worked with my SCX10 for so long.

Otherwise it's a great bumper!
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #20
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 630
Default Re: Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Koi View Post
Thanks! For what it's worth, another somewhat strange thing about the CCHand bumper is that it uses a kind of "friction" fit where you have to screw the mounting posts down into little indentations rather than a fully drilled out socket. It's pretty easy but definitely something that confused me originally, especially after having worked with my SCX10 for so long.

Otherwise it's a great bumper!
Ha! Funny you mention the detents in the bumper posts. I lazily opened the package and threw it on my TF2, not even looking at the mounting posts, I must have tried to insert the long style grub screws for about 2 mins, sliding the bumper back and forth only to finally remove it to notice the notches you mentioned. Pretty much every bumper I have or have had, has the holes through the post . That'll teach me to ASSume. Glad I got it though, looks really good IMO. I also see what you're referring to about the Hella light kit mounting woes. That's a bit of a bummer.

Last edited by tokdl; 08-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buil thread, traifinder 2



Ghost Koi's TF2 adventures! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade Sawback wraith dingo defender TF2 - 7 trucks RC offroad adventures at Bangkit T boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 01-25-2014 05:31 AM
Gmade Sawback wraith dingo defender TF2 - 7 trucks RC offroad adventures at Bangkit R boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 01-14-2014 06:28 AM
17 Scale RC Trucks Offroad Adventures AEV Jeep Brute TF2 hilux Defender 110 Hummer - boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 11-12-2013 06:06 AM
Sony AS-15 Part 2: Scale RC Trucks Offroad Adventures Honcho 6x6 AEV Jeep Brute TF2 h boolean21 Scale Videos! 2 08-19-2013 06:12 PM
13 Trucks RC offroad adventures at Bangkit Road Trail - scx10 B-17 Betty wraith TF2 S boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-13-2013 10:53 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com