Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Oldgregs tf2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #41

Default Re: Oldgregs tf2

Great built and excited to see how those 1.55 pit bulls will do! I’m new to the TF2 world and currently building a CJ. Do you guys weight the tires on these TF?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crawler149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler149 View Post
Great built and excited to see how those 1.55 pit bulls will do! I’m new to the TF2 world and currently building a CJ. Do you guys weight the tires on these TF?? Thanks

Thanks! I dont have any weights in the wheels on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oldgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgreg View Post
Thanks! I dont have any weights in the wheels on mine

Do they do pretty well not weighted? I’ve had axial and currently have a sawback and ascender. They both have weights in the tires. If I could get away with out having to weight them that would be great!

Crawler149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler149 View Post
Do they do pretty well not weighted? I’ve had axial and currently have a sawback and ascender. They both have weights in the tires. If I could get away with out having to weight them that would be great!

I havent run this truck with this set up yet, so im not sure how it is going to do. Im assuming it will be fine without them.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Ssd hubs installed...much better

Old 10-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Default Oldgregs tf2

Modified rc4wd rear bumper

Metal sliders

Last edited by Oldgreg; 10-29-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

A few scale accessories

Old 10-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Well got this truck pretty much ready for its maiden voyage....or well, its second maiden voyage....

Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Old 12-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

are the shocks still holding oil? did you modify them in anyway? and I like the rear bumper cleanup!
VR6 BeelzeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

Default Oldgregs tf2

Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 BeelzeDub View Post
are the shocks still holding oil? did you modify them in anyway? and I like the rear bumper cleanup!

Shocks seem to be doin good so far. But I havent really tested them good yet, not much run time. They are all stock. I just added oil.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Nice rebuild, sir. Out of curiosity, did you ever end up getting our double shear knuckles? If so, curious as to your thoughts. If not, we have some in stock here locally that we can get in your hands quickly.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:49 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Nice rebuild, sir. Out of curiosity, did you ever end up getting our double shear knuckles? If so, curious as to your thoughts. If not, we have some in stock here locally that we can get in your hands quickly.

Thanks. Yea I did get some. They seem to be working fine so far. Only a short test run so far. I used gcm’s tie rod and drag link with different length links to get everything straight and centered. I wanted to mount the tie rod in between the double shear knuckle but it was interfering with the leaf springs so I had to mount it on top and just added some spacers in between to strengthen it a little. Seems to be plenty strong. They dont seem to be rubbing on the tires either. Although it is real close.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing those pix. The setup looks pretty good even with the tight clearance with the left front tire. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order:
-- The link mounting geometry on the knuckles was originally designed to allow full steering with our axles on the G2 platform, which wasn't possible with stock Ascender knuckles. You wouldn't believe how narrow a window we had to work with, lol. After trying a bunch of different options, we can up with these, and it turns out they work well on a wide variety of setups (including regular Ascender axles).
-- After the initial release, we were able to make a slight tweak to the arm geometry to provide a hair more clearance between the tires and ball ends. It looks like your knuckles may have shipped before we made that change. I'm running the initial version on a few trucks and haven't had any issues.
-- If you do end up with some rubbing, you can always bump up the offset by switching to a slightly thicker hex hub or adding a washer on the outside of the hex to get a bit more clearance between tire and links.
-- Another option is to flatten out the leafs a bit and then add a shim (or lift block) between the leaf and axle to gain enough clearance to run the tie rod between the double-shear arms. That combination would allow you to maintain your ride height while also lowering the drag link at the knuckle, which in turn would provide some additional clearance.

But all of that is only if you need, and it looks like you're in good shape as is. Thanks again for sharing!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Thanks for sharing those pix. The setup looks pretty good even with the tight clearance with the left front tire. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order:
-- The link mounting geometry on the knuckles was originally designed to allow full steering with our axles on the G2 platform, which wasn't possible with stock Ascender knuckles. You wouldn't believe how narrow a window we had to work with, lol. After trying a bunch of different options, we can up with these, and it turns out they work well on a wide variety of setups (including regular Ascender axles).
-- After the initial release, we were able to make a slight tweak to the arm geometry to provide a hair more clearance between the tires and ball ends. It looks like your knuckles may have shipped before we made that change. I'm running the initial version on a few trucks and haven't had any issues.
-- If you do end up with some rubbing, you can always bump up the offset by switching to a slightly thicker hex hub or adding a washer on the outside of the hex to get a bit more clearance between tire and links.
-- Another option is to flatten out the leafs a bit and then add a shim (or lift block) between the leaf and axle to gain enough clearance to run the tie rod between the double-shear arms. That combination would allow you to maintain your ride height while also lowering the drag link at the knuckle, which in turn would provide some additional clearance.

But all of that is only if you need, and it looks like you're in good shape as is. Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks for the info. Im going to give this setup a try for now. Hopefully it wont give me any trouble.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Well done Impressive project. Makes me want one TF2
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Well done Impressive project. Makes me want one TF2

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

I've been eyeing those SSD 1.9 beadlocks...man I just dropped $100 on shocks too, UGH!!! lol
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Default Oldgregs tf2

Well ya cant take the money with ya. Might as well blow it. Lol