Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: TF2 SWB Wrangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TF2 SWB Wrangler

Decided I wanted to build a short wheelbase trail finder, so I picked a Tamiya CC-01 Wrangler and ordered an RC4WD chassis and tossed it all together the other day. So far I've put a set of K44 axles under it and a scale u-bolt kit... that's it so far. For power I put a Tekin 412 3100kv brushless motor and a Mamba Max pro ESC, Castle bec and Hitech HS-7954SH servo. Probably way more than it needs but man is it fun. I have ordered an RC4WD rear rack for it, and I'll be changing the wheel/tire combo I'm sure (sure wish there was more 1.55 options with 5 lug wheels). Can't wait to take it out and see how it does in the dirt and rocks.
Attached Images

1tonblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

Default Re: TF2 SWB Wrangler

looks great!
I plan to get my hands on one of these kits here once I finish some other builds.
Question, I have the YJ body - where did you order all the lights and such for it?
Rlfa83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So I lucked out and my local hobby shop had a cc-01 Wrangler kit in stock and I bought it and stole the parts I needed for my TF2 Wrangler build.
I have picked up a few more goodies for it, when I get them installed I'll have to post more pics.

Then I bought a Tamiya F Cruiser (new style) body for the cc-01 chassis and I'm working on it now

Thought I'd share a few more pics of a couple changes I made to my Yellow YJ I still haven't been able to take it outside and give a good test and a couple scratches LOL ... While digging around through all my spare/left over parts I found an old set of Aluminum 5 lug 1.9 wheels, not even sure who makes or made them... maybe rc4wd, don't know... I cleaned them up and painted them to match the Jeep and slapped the RC4WD Mud Thrashers that came with the TF2 SWB kit, they fit perfect, barely touch the rear fenders when complete flexed out... not that it flexes much. Also installed a rear spare tire and rack and some OME shocks... yes because they're yellow too... I couldn't resist
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 04-03-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice YJ. Can you post a few body off pics. I'm building the same chassis with k44's and wanted to see how you set up your shocks. I'd like to run 70mm kings but they're to tight on the chassis. I think I'm going to have to run internal spring in on the front at least.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
Nice YJ. Can you post a few body off pics. I'm building the same chassis with k44's and wanted to see how you set up your shocks. I'd like to run 70mm kings but they're to tight on the chassis. I think I'm going to have to run internal spring in on the front at least.
I hope these help. The OME shocks from rc4wd are 70mm that I put on it, the K44s went on with little problems, I used the TF2 steering links on the stock K44 knuckles as well, didn't buy the TF2 knuckles. I did trim a little bit off the plastic ends though, can't remember how much exactly but it wasn't much.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I also removed the internal springs from the shock but put 42.5 weight oil in them and I added another leaf from my parts bin to the leaf springs to help hold the weight. I also bought a new TF2 non swb transfercase mount and put it in. I didn't like the factory one that had the mounts for 3/4 link already... seemed like it would have been easy to get hung up on when I finally get it out in the dirt and rocks.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks! It looks great. I'll post some pics of mine later today. Mine is set up the same way except for a 4 linked rear which I may change back after seeing yours with the stock TF2 t-case mount. The problem I was having is the shock mounting point on the k44's is a little different causing the shocks to be angled slightly inward and a little more forward than the Yota II's. It's too tight to the chassis to run the kings with the springs on them so I pretty much did the same as you and removed the ext king springs and added a helper leaf. I haven't changed the weight of the oil but it does sound like a good idea. I also thought I might try some 70mm ultimate scale shocks up front with the lightest spring available in the tuning kit. Since I still plan to run Kings in the rear I figured I'd just throw a couple King decals on the front shocks to tie them together. LOL, I'm anal about stuff matching. For the steering link I did get the TF2 knuckles for the K44's because I thought I needed them. I see on yours there's only a few mm difference in the link length so I could've made the stockers work. One good things is I noticed that the servo sits far enough back In the chassis I think I can keep the BTA steering functional. We'll see. Thanks for the pics!

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 05-24-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
Thanks! It looks great. I'll post some pics of mine later today. Mine is set up the same way except for a 4 linked rear which I may change back after seeing yours with the stock TF2 t-case mount. The problem I was having is the shock mounting point on the k44's is a little different causing the shocks to be angled slightly inward and a little more forward than the Yota II's. It's too tight to the chassis to run the kings with the springs on them so I pretty much did the same as you and removed the ext king springs and added a helper leaf. I haven't changed the weight of the oil but it does sound like a good idea. I also thought I might try some 70mm ultimate scale shocks up front with the lightest spring available in the tuning kit. Since I still plan to run Kings in the rear I figured I'd just throw a couple King decals on the front shocks to tie them together. LOL, I'm anal about stuff matching. For the steering link I did get the TF2 knuckles for the K44's because I thought I needed them. I see on yours there's only a few mm difference in the link length so I could've made the stockers work. One good things is I noticed that the servo sits far enough back In the chassis I think I can keep the BTA steering functional. We'll see. Thanks for the pics!
Thank you for your interest in my project!

Don't know if you noticed, but I mounted the servo on top of the mounts, I had to file the little "gusset" off the servo but I like how it pulls the servo ar up into the chassis a bit, not sure if this is standard practice in the rc world, could be...

I did the 3 link on my TF2, the standard wheelbase kit with the Toyota body and after taking it out I changed it back to leafs as well. I put the Yota II axles that came with this SWB kit on it, since it had the lower quality Yota axles and I also put the super scale leaf springs from RC4WD on it, they are stiff but I really like it, it seems to ride like those old 'Yotas did when they were lifted LOL. I'll have to start a thread on it someday.

Post up your pics of your YJ when you get a min, I'd love to see it.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Yep that's the same way I did my servo. It sits much better on top. Here are a few pic. It still has the Yota's on it here though. I've got my K44 front already but I had to order the rear from the international site so it should be here next week.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I need to do an interior in mine someday

Took my Wrangler out Saturday with my Gelande and Toyota TF2, got a couple pics to share finally

Another pic

On a cliff

Oops!

Gelande and TF SWB. Sorry can't get my iPhone to upload more than a single pic at a time

Took a few of my crawlers out for a day of fun, got some nice pics to share....

Thanks guys
Attached Images

Last edited by THX_138; 04-03-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Love the look of this jeep! Well done.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Love the look of this jeep! Well done.
Thank you!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Can't figure out which I like better - the tiny trucks or the not tiny scenery. Nice work!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I'm digging your yellow YJ. I want to build one so bad. Time will tell if it's the next scaler in the fleet.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
I'm digging your yellow YJ. I want to build one so bad. Time will tell if it's the next scaler in the fleet.

Thank you! It turned out pretty good, I sure enjoy it and would recommend one.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Awesome jeep, awesome scenery. Hate it if you had a glitch on that cliff.... Whew! Great work!
Jeepfixer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #17
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Awesome little Jeep. The axles just put it over the top!
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Slapped a set of RC4WD bumpers on my yellow YJ... I know they're not the best for crawling, But I mostly do milder trails with it and I love the old school look plus I gained a hitch. I plan on putting a winch on it soon too.

Also I posted a pic of my MOAB trailer, I put a set of RC4WD U-bolts on it to add a little more realism.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Sweet Jeep and Yota TF2s, love the awesome scenery too....sitting here kinda chilly and raining lightly now. WIshing it was summer and I was doing camp'n'crawl session!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I came across the new rc4wd Fuel Trophy wheels and realized they were 5 lug... so I had to buy a set for my Wrangler... Mounted them on a set of 1.9 rc4wd Dick Cepek Mud Countrys... even went ahead and got a matching spare...
Attached Images

TF2 SWB Wrangler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TF2 SWB YJ project Killa-Cotton RC4WD Trail Finder 2 57 02-16-2020 11:19 PM
YJ Jeep on TF2 SWB seychelles RC4WD Trail Finder 2 18 06-22-2016 10:12 AM
Rc4wd TF2 SWB kit ROLANDROCKSHOP RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 05-12-2015 05:47 PM
Jeep Wrangler JK (SWB) ... 1st scaler 4x4LOYR Axial SCX-10 39 12-13-2010 05:41 AM