Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Xvd install issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Xvd install issue

Got my Xvds in the mail today for my LWB. Tore the axle down and pulled the stock axles out. Removed the bearings and shim and E clip. Put
xVDs in. Had to add extra shim on each side to fill the space where the E clip went. I began to reassemble everything and here’s where I ran into trouble. The right side is nice and smooth, knuckle turns smooth, axle spins smooth.

The left side is another story. With one knuckle screw out it’s nice and smooth. Add the second and it binds up. Doesn’t matter if it’s top or bottom. Once a second screw is in the mix, the knuckle does not turn smoothly. Remove the axle and the knuckle works as it always did with the dog bones. I’ve taken it apart more than a dozen times trying to find a point of contact that would be causing the binding and I can’t find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Xvd install issue

Grind the screws down 1-2mm. Or use screws that are 1-2mm short. 2mm might be overkill so start with less.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I tested the screw length, and these don’t appear to be too long. I removed the knuckle, put the bushings on the screws and screwed them into the housing minus the knuckle. Looking in the end of the housing, where the gold ring is located on the Xvd, and the screw heads aren’t coming through. The minute the knuckle is installed, with the upper and lower screw, it doesn’t turn smooth.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #4

This is the same thing that happened to me. After disassembling it to find an issue and then reassembling it when no issues were found and doing this about 3 times it worked itself out. I have no explanation why it stopped binding.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Really turned into a big headache. The clearances inside the knuckle were too tight, as were the clearances at the bushings. Ended up having to drill the bushing holes larger, and dremel out the inside of the knuckle to gain clearance so it didn’t hit the axle housing when turning.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddict17 View Post
Really turned into a big headache. The clearances inside the knuckle were too tight, as were the clearances at the bushings. Ended up having to drill the bushing holes larger, and dremel out the inside of the knuckle to gain clearance so it didn’t hit the axle housing when turning.
Ridiculous.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like it is not seating into the locker all the way. I recall having a similar issue with mine. Pretty sure I filed down the axle shafts to make a bit more flat - then it seated fine.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Sounds like it is not seating into the locker all the way. I recall having a similar issue with mine. Pretty sure I filed down the axle shafts to make a bit more flat - then it seated fine.
everything appeared to be seating correctly. This whole project turned into a mess. I believe there to be a potential issue with the axle casting itself.

everything is working fine now, and seated properly, but theres a gap at the pumpkin, and you can literally see the ring gear spin through the gap. I'm going to be contacting RC4WD tomorrow. Brand new truck. Using upgrade parts provided by them. This stuff should just bolt directly together.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddict17 View Post
everything appeared to be seating correctly. This whole project turned into a mess. I believe there to be a potential issue with the axle casting itself.

everything is working fine now, and seated properly, but theres a gap at the pumpkin, and you can literally see the ring gear spin through the gap. I'm going to be contacting RC4WD tomorrow. Brand new truck. Using upgrade parts provided by them. This stuff should just bolt directly together.
I ordered some XVD's myself, I hope I don't have the same problem you did, guess I'll find out!

Last edited by Digital; 01-23-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #10

I ordered mine and installed them and everything turned out just fine. If I remember correctly there were 2 options of xvds and one set was a bit longer than the other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleKan View Post
I ordered mine and installed them and everything turned out just fine. If I remember correctly there were 2 options of xvds and one set was a bit longer than the other

These are the ones I ordered - RC4WD XVD Axle for Ultimate Scale Yota Axle
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

reporting back, mine went in without a hitch so they've probably changed something since the time you've put them in.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post

These are the ones I got. http://store.rc4wd.com/XVD-Axle-for-...le_p_3323.html the part number is Z-S0823. The set you got is Z-S0342 and I believe those are a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:

I just realized I have the Yota ll axel. Those should of worked with your axel. You don’t have the Yota ll axels do you? If not disregard my post.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleKan View Post
I just realized I have the Yota ll axel. Those should of worked with your axel. You don’t have the Yota ll axels do you? If not disregard my post.

I think you're right RattleKan, sorry about that. I had no idea the LWB came with Yota II axles and the Mojave kit came with Yota axles. Did you hear back from rc4wd?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
I think you're right RattleKan, sorry about that. I had no idea the LWB came with Yota II axles and the Mojave kit came with Yota axles. Did you hear back from rc4wd?

I got my info from RC4WD’s site. When I decided to purchase XVD’s for my Yota ll Axels I was purchasing them off of EBay or Amazon (I don’t remember) because it was a few dollars cheaper and free shipping. I noticed that those 2 company’s offered 2 different sets of XVD’s and they also had the specs listed. I also thought I had seen the specs on RC4WD’s site, but could not find it earlier this morning. I was going to order the set with the gold band, because I thought it looked fancier lol. I was curious to find out what was different between the 2. When I seen there were 2 different lengths I then went to RC4WD’s site and cross referenced the parts numbers. That is how I got my information. I was really curious to know why the XVD’s with the gold band cost more. I still don’t know why and decided to purchase the part that RC4WD had listed as the upgrade. Truth be told in trying to save a few bucks I ended up paying much more in the long run. The reason I bought an additional Yotall Axel is because I wanted the turning radius of my new Marlin TF2 on my RTR Mohave TF2. I believe I could of just bought the XVD’s that had the gold band instead of the Complete Axel housing, gears, dogbone’s and XVD’s as an immediate upgrade. I didn’t understand the entire reason the Marlin had so mush turning capability. Just as information, when I first read this post I thought he was speaking about binding because of length. I read through the entire post again and realized he was having an issue with installing the second screw. So with that being said I could be way off basis for this issue and at the same time it could still be the issue. I hope I didn’t confuse anyone. With there being 2 different lengths of XVD’s available for the Yota Axles that is the only thing I can think of that may cause this issue. Again I could be very wrong. Hope that helps.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I too had funny gaps between the two housing halves, even after having the front housing replaced when new under warranty because the carrier bearings easily wiggled around almost 2mmin their bored. Filed the coating down a bit (it is ridiculous how uneven it is) on the housing's mating surfaces and everything fits much better.

Don't get me started on how loose the kingpin bushings were in the knuckles. Ended up drilling out the knuckles for some 3x6 bearings, couple regular and a couple flanged , and some 6mm id shims to center the knuckle.

And then there's the reverse dogbone setup that easily overseers, allowing the outer shaft to fall into the cup slot and almost guaranteeing failure. Guess that's where the xvds come in...
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Xvd install issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xvd reden Newbie General 4 01-13-2011 02:13 PM
Xvd dragrcr RC4WD Bully 0 07-26-2010 05:18 PM
V6 XVD Pin crash RC4WD Bully 27 07-19-2010 03:27 AM
4ws install issue Creek Crawler General Crawlers 1 05-04-2007 06:40 AM