Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Anyone running a TF2 in C2? And what have you done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone running a TF2 in C2? And what have you done?

Hey up...

Just wondering who's running a tf2 in C2?.

Went to my first comp / day a few weeks back and ran all 3 courses in my tf2 and didn't really struggle - was mostly just learning the truck. Granted i suspect the courses here were easier than some of yours :-).

I love the tf2 and was considering maybe getting a marlin and modding that for C2. Although it does look like getting decent tyre sizes for the 1.7" wheels is a mare...

I was also building a toyzuki for C2 at the mo... But maybe i could build that for C3 now...

Let me know what you're running and any thoughts...

Thanks.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone running a TF2 in C2? And what have you done?

Snuck in the garage earlier and swapped some wheels about...

Banged some 1.9 C2 wheels on my tf2, and some 2.2s 51/4 tyres on the toyzuki chassis.

Both would have to run some higher offset rims to achieve full steering without major fouling but other than that it "looked" possible.

The main thing really was wheelbase. they both just "looked" wrong! C2 wheels just look right on 313mm (12 1/4 " ish) wb, and 2.2s just look like they need more - perhaps 340/50mm (14" ish) i'd say....

The tf2 could go on along wheel base chassis, but the toyzuki would need some serious links stretching..... Or of course the new all improved C3 chassis!... But i'd spent a fair amount on ssd axles etc for the C2....

Hmmm...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pictures? 2.2s are just wrong lol, 1.9s at most, maybe some of the larger sized 1.55 or 1.7?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Pictures? 2.2s are just wrong lol, 1.9s at most, maybe some of the larger sized 1.55 or 1.7?
I've never mastered pictures sadly. Doesn't matter how many times I'm told
Old 02-26-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The key to running a TF2 on courses is to make it predictable, and get the CG low. Then drive it enough to know the truck well. I’ve been driving mine more and with a few simple mods to the leafs (look in the sticky threads in this forum) it’s a blast.

Smaller 1.9s work well on the TF2, but it depends on your style. The Proline tsl SX are a favorite, and I’m gonna try the 1.9 MT/Rs. I need a tire that is a 4.19 for the events I run around here.

Here’s a few different tires in TF2s:

1.9 Proline TSL SX

1.9 4.19 RC4WD MT/R

1.7 4.19 RC4WD MT/R (I think)

1.55 Pitbull Growlers

1.9 4.19 Pitbull ATX
(I think, I’m sure the interwebs will let me know)

(Never skip a leg day)
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the pics badwagon. Had read your truck intro previously and enjoyed it.

My TF is relatively low and i've completed quite a few tricks :-). Most recently i did the motor drop which for me compromised the steering feel. I then took it to a local comp and came 1st on my second outing so it was obviously not that bad!.. But something to work on.

As a class 1 truck i think they are a winner period and can score immensely well in scale points.

My quandary was if i could run one in C2 with larger tyres for a bit more under belly ground clearance and if i could increase steering angle. As per another post, the leaf position ultimately limits the steering if you do increase it. This can be overcome with wider hexes ( which creates worse tyre / body clearance) or a wider axle. Evidently the G2 axles with xvds "should" have another 9/10 degrees.

I already run the tranny flipped for front overdrive which has helped this steering angle too.

Last weekend I ran my TF ( as it's the only one i got together) unofficially in C2 and C3 locally and placed well. Granted whilst these courses are quite challenging for a relative new comer they do not look as technical as some of the US stuff i see! But still great fun and what i will be running here in the UK.

The TF is definitely more of a challenge than an AX etc but i'm really enjoying mine so much now i'm actually driving it!"thumbs"

And the more i do drive it the more I think perhaps i'll take the plunge on a Marlin for C2. Or certainly something with leafs.... we'll see...

As to my original C2 question to the masses, I guess judging by the underwhelming response the answer is NO!! hehe...

Thanks all.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Oh, and i love the look of the Goodyear Wranglers!

Currently running 1.55s - Rock stompers. They seem to be doing ok all things considered, though i suspect a 1.9 would be slightly more predictable on the lean... There are also better compounds out there...
Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I prefer the 1.9s as they have less sidewall which helps sidehilling. keep driving it and you'll be fine in C1 and C2 at most comps.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Don't let the underwhelming amount of replies, hold you back from what you want to do!
I run a TF2 in C2, setup for C1, with a overwhelming win to lose ratio..

I'm not a scale guy.. I had a scx for C2, just when it was another class to run, at comps..
So when I ended up trading a spare rig, for a TF2, I was building it for C1.
I built it over a 2yr period. I'm going into my 4th season with it, this year. Haven't touch the scx since! My son ran the scx twice tho.
Anyways.. I have a build thread around here. I run 1.55 Pitbull Growler's on 1.9 wheels, full leafs, flipped transfer case, raised the transfer case and ditched the skid plate, scx shocks (scale shocks are the biggest performance killing part of the TF2. IMO) and my scx steering mod on the TF2 axle..

I'm at the point where I'm selling or trading my scx and getting another TF2. Just to do another build on.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Don't let the underwhelming amount of replies, hold you back from what you want to do!
I run a TF2 in C2, setup for C1, with a overwhelming win to lose ratio..

I'm not a scale guy.. I had a scx for C2, just when it was another class to run, at comps..
So when I ended up trading a spare rig, for a TF2, I was building it for C1.
I built it over a 2yr period. I'm going into my 4th season with it, this year. Haven't touch the scx since! My son ran the scx twice tho.
Anyways.. I have a build thread around here. I run 1.55 Pitbull Growler's on 1.9 wheels, full leafs, flipped transfer case, raised the transfer case and ditched the skid plate, scx shocks (scale shocks are the biggest performance killing part of the TF2. IMO) and my scx steering mod on the TF2 axle..

I'm at the point where I'm selling or trading my scx and getting another TF2. Just to do another build on.
Hello man and thanks!..

Sounds cool. I've done most of that bar the shocks and steering upgrade - don't know if you're running the shocks with the coils? Which i don't agree with personally - but not here to start bother!..

My mind was made when I ran my tf2 in C2 and C3 unofficially and positioned well. I have now purchased a marlin and shall be modding that up. Think i'll run those axles and single speed tranny with my existing chassis and body which are well sorted. Then use the fresh marlin body and chassis as my C1 with the usual mods....

Can't wait to get them both out there.

Then i'll build my Toyzuki as a C3, which i was originally building for a C2 before i found out how capable i can make a leafer.... Certainly still not as accomplished as coils but not half bad
Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Hello man and thanks!..

Sounds cool. I've done most of that bar the shocks and steering upgrade - don't know if you're running the shocks with the coils? Which i don't agree with personally - but not here to start bother!..

Yes sir! I run springs on them. I build rigs with the intention of Performance..
The shocks were backup shocks for my comp rigs.
I run mini springs on my scx shocks. Not the actual scx springs..
Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Yes sir! I run springs on them. I build rigs with the intention of Performance..
The shocks were backup shocks for my comp rigs.
I run mini springs on my scx shocks. Not the actual scx springs..
Hehe.. Did read your thread after that.

It will certainly perform with coils and red leafs. I would suggest potentially better than links in terms of ground clearance (no links in the way) and with the right spring tune should be bang on links in terms of traction / articulation.

I assume you don't get your leaf scale points as the coils are technically supporting the rig?. We would not get our points over here in the UK certainly. Or not from my understanding....

I have considered trying to tune the regular shocks with the internal springs just for a bit more stability and to help push traction. Currently just run diff oil in them....
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Hehe.. Did read your thread after that.

I assume you don't get your leaf scale points as the coils are technically supporting the rig?. We would not get our points over here in the UK certainly. Or not from my understanding....

I have considered trying to tune the regular shocks with the internal springs just for a bit more stability and to help push traction. Currently just run diff oil in them....
Certainly you still get leaf scale points! Leafs are the difference of leafs and not 4 linked. Has nothing to do with the shocks/coils..
If I take the shocks off, the leafs support the rig.

The stock scale shocks are junk, IMO..
They may look nice on the shelf but don't belong on course. Speaking to Performance, that is.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hehe, agree on the shocks... But still working on them....

To be honest though besides all there obvious issues i just don't think they have the capacity.

Anyone running a TF2 in C2? And what have you done? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM