Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Yota1 axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Yota1 axles?

So i want to try to keep the yota1 axle assembly for now that came stock on the tf2. But it's obvious that the yota1 axles are limited in there throw/angle of turning. Is it worth picking up a set of the xvd axles for the yoto1 to improving steering from 32 to 36.5 degrees? Or is it better just to spend the money on the yota2 axles with xvd axles with it?
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Yota1 axles?

In my opinion the XVD’s will give you the turning radius. I bought a Yota-ll front axel thinking I was going to get the radius of my Marlin and I had to buy the XVD’s in addition later to get the radius like the Marlin after realizing later that the Marlin came with XVD’s installed in the Yota-ll axel. I strongly believe that you can just get the XVD’s and save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RattleKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks that what I was kind of hoping for. Guess I could spend a little more if I had to. But I've got way too much money already in this truck, it will be worth it I believe. I've got the xvd axles on the wish list. So now I guess I'll gave to order some in. I feel if I don't change the turning radius it will be a disappointment in that area.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleKan View Post
In my opinion the XVD’s will give you the turning radius. I bought a Yota-ll front axel thinking I was going to get the radius of my Marlin and I had to buy the XVD’s in addition later to get the radius like the Marlin after realizing later that the Marlin came with XVD’s installed in the Yota-ll axel. I strongly believe that you can just get the XVD’s and save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was my understanding that the yota2 axles comparably offered more steering angle period.

I added xvds to my yota1 axles and definitely noticed the difference. It is still not great steering but i have also flipped the transfer case for overdrive in the front axle. Between these 2 mods it will certainly make most corners as well as a standard scx10 with no overdrive.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I wonder how much of a angle the yota2 axles have. Any one have any before and after pictures of the steering angle anything?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A simple google search will help you out. Forum posts and videos. First return is the RC4WD forum and breaks it down.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
A simple google search will help you out. Forum posts and videos. First return is the RC4WD forum and breaks it down.

Thanks for that man. Sometimes the obvious route eludes me!... I shall post those facts in my other thread.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

No worries. I tend to migrate to google and google image searches first. I can usually dig up something with a few different search terms.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well still digging for info. Came up with 45 degrees for the yota2 axles, for sure bets the yota1 axles with the xvd axles at 36.5 degrees. Assuming that info is correct. Guess I'll keep digging for more info. Maybe even think more about the yota2 axles and just do it.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

You may know but the yota 1 axles and to some extent the yota 2 need shimming to make a better ring/pinion gear mesh. Definitely the yota 1’s, in my experiences at least.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
You may know but the yota 1 axles and to some extent the yota 2 need shimming to make a better ring/pinion gear mesh. Definitely the yota 1’s, in my experiences at least.
Thanks for the tip. But yes I know about shinning the axles and shimmd them before I started assembly of the truck. So many parts and decisions, what to do. At this point it just doesn't matter how much more I dump in this project what's a little more money I guess.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yota 1 has enough steering angle to rub tires on leaf springs or links if using stock hexs and wheel backspacing. A small diameter tire or widening track width is gonna be needed to really use more steering.
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Just to add to this. Today i went to a comp and a chap there had a marlin.

Now my yota 1 axles have xvds and i've grinded them a wee bit and as the above post we are limited by leafs without further wheel offset anyway.

Oddly, side by side there looked to be no difference at all in steering angle. Or certainly not 5/10 degrees...

So not sure if again this lack of angle is due to the leaf situation. If i'm honest i run mine so it touches the leafs at full lock - there's soo much play in my leaf set up it would be severely limiting not to- where as his had a good gap on full lock and he mentioned he set it up safe...

If the printed data is correct then this all adds up. And to get full use of this increased angle we need to use a higher offset wheel or hub. "thumbs"

I'm pretty sure i'll be investing in a marlin shortly so i shall confirm this if it happens...