Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Shim pack for Yota II axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shim pack for Yota II axles?

I just purchased a TF2 Marlin edition and before I run the truck to much I wanted to tear open the axles and properly shim and re-grease them.

I saw RC4wd offered a 3mm x 9mm x .3mm shim pack but the thickness of the shims were all the same .3mm. I was looking for something that included shims of varying thicknesses so I could get the gear mesh just right. It seems 3x9mm shims aren't very common so I have yet to find a suitable option.

So any suggestions on shim packs that worked for my fellow TF2ers?
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #2

Default Re: Shim pack for Yota II axles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKing88 View Post
I just purchased a TF2 Marlin edition and before I run the truck to much I wanted to tear open the axles and properly shim and re-grease them.

I saw RC4wd offered a 3mm x 9mm x .3mm shim pack but the thickness of the shims were all the same .3mm. I was looking for something that included shims of varying thicknesses so I could get the gear mesh just right. It seems 3x9mm shims aren't very common so I have yet to find a suitable option.

So any suggestions on shim packs that worked for my fellow TF2ers?
I also would like some info on what is a properly shimmed axle. I thought i had it good but i just had to purchase another gear set. Want to get it done right This time

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
beanz4run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

MST has a variety of shims. Look them up on their website. AMain usually stocks most of them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My biggest issue is finding 3mm x 9mm shims I have found 7mm O.D. shims. I am assuming RC4WDs shims are 9mm O.D. because the bearing are 9mm O.D. I would think it would best to have shims that actually contact the O.D. edge of the bearing since these bearings are not tapered bearings which are meant for the pressure of the pinion gear pushing back against the bearing.

Honestly I feel its probably not that much of a load against the bearing but it cant help either and potentially wear the bearings faster.
ToyotaKing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I used tamiya shims. Rc4wd has a video on proper shimming

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKing88 View Post
My biggest issue is finding 3mm x 9mm shims I have found 7mm O.D. shims. I am assuming RC4WDs shims are 9mm O.D. because the bearing are 9mm O.D. I would think it would best to have shims that actually contact the O.D. edge of the bearing since these bearings are not tapered bearings which are meant for the pressure of the pinion gear pushing back against the bearing.

Honestly I feel its probably not that much of a load against the bearing but it cant help either and potentially wear the bearings faster.

No your correct. Our bearings would last a lot longer if they where a tapered roller bearing. Sealed ball bearings are quite poor at this task. The cage is the only component that takes the load and the only part that keeps it from grenading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Shim pack for Yota II axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to shim ring gear on WK axles? solomon7 Newbie General 1 07-16-2007 04:56 AM