Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat Racing RS10 [Ongoing] Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Redcat Racing RS10 [Ongoing] Review

I will start with this. This is only the third RC Crawler “kit” I have ever purchased without witnessing one run prior to my purchase, and I will rank this lower than a OCM/NEWAGE/ENROUTE/BERG, but definitely higher than a Cliff Climber.

This will be my initial review of a Redcat Racing RS10 Rockslide. I purchased this RTR Kit through an online retailer for $160 shipped, and it is available through various retailers at this time for around that price, but maybe a little more. As of right now, it looks like Tower has CC’s down at $110 RTR, but to be honest, this kit makes the CC value close to nothing (and this is coming from a guy that owns two CCs).

I will break this review into a [at least] a couple of different stages. First being out of box impressions based on experience with other crawlers, second being actual crawling of the RTR rig, third will be simple/cheap/free mods to RTR kit, and then wherever it leads. 

Just got the rig tonight, so first post will be on first impressions. What you get out of the box: a prebuilt rig (w/ 7.2v C cell 1500 mah pack in chassis), a TX, an antenna tube, a wall charger, and a manual. Not sure if even Nylints were this easy. The manual can easily be viewed via Redcat using this link: http://content.yudu.com/Library/A17o...lideRS10Manual Stock part support can be found via Redcat also at: http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars?search=rs10

First the most obvious, yet most meaningless, part off the rig…………..the body. It looks like a hatchback H2, but believe it or not, it is 12.5” long and 5.5” wide in the center, making it a pretty compact and legal comp body. So a pretty good little “pro” for it right there that it comes with a pre-finished comp body. Can’t say that about a CC or TLT. Heck, a body costs $20-30 unpainted these days……………………………..

The other most obvious thing; tires. Um, yep, they are 5” diameter pieces of plubber molded to the shape of offroad tires. I would value them as great tires to use to mock up other rigs. I would value their use on the rocks as none.

Wheels. 2.2s plastic beadlock wheels will aluminum rings. The rings do a nice job of “hiding/protecting” the hex screw heads. Haven’t observed the inner hex support as I haven’t done the OOTB testing.

Axles. Obviously MOA axles, running dual “380” sized 70T motors. By the molding near the motor, you aren’t going to adapt larger diameter motors to these axles very easily. Good thing is that a lot of research has been done on CCs in reference to alternate motors to run (if needed), so options are out there. I haven’t done the fitting yet, but I honestly believe that with the lower link spacing and shock mounting, plus the upper reverse 3-link, long a$$ cobalt motors are bolt on! Again, haven’t tested as the OOTB testing isn’t complete. I do know that the axles are full bearings thoughout, but the gears/tubes/Cs/knuckles are plastic. Kinda catchy here, but notice that the axle tubes do slope downward allowing a bit more center pumpkin clearance. With stock 5” tires, the pumpkin clearance is 1.75”.

And yes, the whole “flying wing” link mount on top of the axles looks a bit odd…………..but I LOVE the out of the box thinking Redcat did here!!! Think of it this way, you flat tray across the top of the axles for mounting such things as batts, RXs, BECs, ESCs (as many owners of MOA axles do), why not use this mount as a spread link axle mount at the same time? It is hard to see until you see it, but it does free up a lot of room as the susp flexes.

Stock wheelbase is 12 7/8”. Stock wheel track is 10.5”. Stock weight with 7.2V 6 C cell is 4.75 lbs.

Okay, gotta admit, I am beat after today, so this is all the reviewing I can do. Hopefully I can do a bit more tomorrow, so whatever questions you have, throw them!

From what I see so far, this rig, just as I saw with the “Berg,” depends on support and upgrades. If both can be provided, you are looking at a future hit in the RCC hobby. I don’t want to speak too much before a fair amount of testing, but I LOVE this against a RTC Axial so far!!!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

HAHA, I just received mine and posted a "mini" review in the Red Cat thread a minute ago Robb. It will be interesting to see how our reviews go.

Nice initial write up.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, it LOOKS good for the money, i cant see it being any worse than a cliff climber.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Tear that biotch apart - we want to see it's guts and if it bleeds plastic!
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Dang I didnt even know there was such thing as redcat

Nice write up

Looks like they coppied Axial on the rims and tires

Anyway nice write up
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
RCC Addict

There is some of these on ebay BIN $139 with free shipping, great price for newcomers to the sport IMO.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
Tear that biotch apart - we want to see it's guts and if it bleeds plastic!
I'd be willing to bet the internals are a smaller version of this:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149499
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

internals seem to be holding up for the one local we have.. he has no internet so I dont think he will chime in.

motors do get hot on it after about 20 minutes .. but he is running 3s threw the stock ESC with a castle BEC. the tires were really bad, he tried them garbage.

I think a new chassis and some decent tires it should be a contender.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The RedCat looks promising! I actually think I will see a few of these at comps around here in ATL . I just might buy one as well.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Robb, great review so far, i feel every brand that comes out wether it's competitive or not deserves a unbiased review wether it's a well known brand or and unknown brand (to the crawler world) , and not just label it junk because of it not being known (take berg as an example when they came out) , i admire the effort put into the review, keep it coming and who knows there might be a redcat crawler in my future
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I hope it will be successful, possibly another section on RCC
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #12

any more review soon

ANYONE WHO HAS RS10, could you please put some videos on utube as there is not many atm, only alishano or whatever. but he works for redcat so its a bit biased. no offence alishano. :S
caljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

well when i get a video camera i will
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #14

looking forward to it
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

any aftermarket motors yet
nwcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Alright, due to just flat being too busy, I haven't had the chance to do a thorough review of the OOTB components prior to running. I am keeping notes though, and will update the original post hopefully soon. I am kinda passing this stage, but I will get the information recorded as I go.

As a stage of the review, I was going to run it for awhile as an OOTB rig, and give comments on it, and maybe make some small adjustments. But to be honest, it just isn't worth it from my standpoint (i.e. a competitive rig driver). I am just going to skip this because:

- the original tires suck

- swapping the tires reveals that the stock beadlocks suck. They had promise by being only 1.25" wide and thick/heavy rings........but they use 2mm fine thread screws threaded into plastic. You may get one tire change out of these, after that, junk.

- the stock servo(s) suck. They really have a hard time turning real tires on flat ground.

- the stock motors are just flat slow with stock pinion and 7.2V. It is honestly the slowest RC vehicle I have seen under full power. The speed would probably be considered pretty good 3 years ago or so, but since then we have discovered the need for wheelspeed, and there just isn't any in stock form. Some voltage may help these motors, or a little reduction in windings may do some good..........but for me, I am just going to get some real motors in there.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Alright, due to just flat being too busy, I haven't had the chance to do a thorough review of the OOTB components prior to running. I am keeping notes though, and will update the original post hopefully soon. I am kinda passing this stage, but I will get the information recorded as I go.

As a stage of the review, I was going to run it for awhile as an OOTB rig, and give comments on it, and maybe make some small adjustments. But to be honest, it just isn't worth it from my standpoint (i.e. a competitive rig driver). I am just going to skip this because:

- the original tires suck

- swapping the tires reveals that the stock beadlocks suck. They had promise by being only 1.25" wide and thick/heavy rings........but they use 2mm fine thread screws threaded into plastic. You may get one tire change out of these, after that, junk.

- the stock servo(s) suck. They really have a hard time turning real tires on flat ground.

- the stock motors are just flat slow with stock pinion and 7.2V. It is honestly the slowest RC vehicle I have seen under full power. The speed would probably be considered pretty good 3 years ago or so, but since then we have discovered the need for wheelspeed, and there just isn't any in stock form. Some voltage may help these motors, or a little reduction in windings may do some good..........but for me, I am just going to get some real motors in there.
I totally agree Robb, I have my OOTB reveiw almost finished, but the stock tires are so bad that after just a short while, I switched to Panthers. That alone increased the RS10s crawling ability greatly.

Can't wait for those motors you found to arrive.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Can't wait for those motors you found to arrive.
Oh, I already have a few in stock. Just need to hit up the HTUSA for a couple of pinions, and they will be on there hopefully tomorrow.

Should be interesting, on 9.6V, one of these motors destroyed a "metal" diff gear on a Cliff Climber before it even made it off the workbench.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #19

hey, robb,

after this whole review, i want to ask you.

is this car worth it?

im not going in comps, im just rock crawling my backyard and when i go camping.

i dont wanto pay heaps, and i might upgrade some things later on eg tyres etc.

so is it worth the money spent?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

What motors did that damage?
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote