Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: battery ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 AM   #1

Default battery ???

I don't even have my crawler yet but I already thinking about the stock battery. It sounds to me like it's kinda weak in the capacity department. So I'm thinking about building one from cheapbatterypacks.com, but I've got a question I hope you guys can answer. Are the cells an "A" type cell??
An "A" is about 48.5mm long X 16.76 dia. Is that what the cells are in the stock battery?? If that is the case it looks like you can have them build a killer battery for about $20.00 unless I'm missing something. Would it matter if the cells were NICAD? Would the stock charger work with NICAD?
Thanks in advance.....I can't wait to get it....well it's actually for my 5 year old son, but I'm so excited.
glenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

The stock cells are sub-C size cells. You can build a 3300mah pack for about 30 bucks. Honestly, the stock battery isn't that bad, it's the charger that sucks. On a good charger, the stock battery gets about a half hour or so of run time, which isn't too bad. I'm not sure if the stock charger would charge a nicad battery, but you can build a nice nimh battery for fairly cheap.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

Default battery

I guess it would be better just to get the Ternegy battery since they are only $24.00 or something.
What are you guys using for a cheap charger??
I saw someone saying they use an Exceed $4.00 charger. Is that one any good?? I guess for something like $7.00 shipped I should just find out myself.
Thanks
glenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I'm using a losi sport mini peak charger...got it for about $18 at my LHS and it works really well. I might upgrade if I ever go lipo, though. Check out the electronics section in the forum...plenty of advice on battery chargers.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote