Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: More questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Default More questions!

So I understand that the stock tires are weak, but can someone explain why? Is it grip or just not as sticky as some or not enough tread? Also if I want to go with a softer foam can someone provide a link for some? I figure if I get soft foam and I do get better tires I can just use them again. I read that if I dunk the tires in simply green it will make them better? Is there a process someone can post on how to do that too. Thanks guys I have learned a lot from this site already!
bluesox_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well it seems that the tires are not as soft. I cut the foams in a triangle pattern. and it really seemed to help.

If you use the search button. Type in tire marinade, you will find all sorts of recipes to soften tires. You can also call your local race shop and ask for tire softener. This will be at oval track shops and drag shops, or if there is a off road store they may too.

The search button is your friend
Heres a link for tire foams.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2.2+memory+foams
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If you hold a stock RS10 tire in one hand...and a HB rover or losi rock claw tire in the other hand...the rover or rock claw tire will be drastically softer. It's a huge difference, really. The foams are really stiff also, so just replacing those with a nicer foam is an improvement. Memory foam is OK...it's nothing special...it's properties change a little depending on the weather. Cold weather can make them stiffen.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Tire-Foams-p-1-c-270.html

There's just one link for foams...just do a search on here for 2.2 foams...or a google search. I wouldn't dunk them in simple green...not sure what the reaction would be, but most of the time I clean my tires (even the stock tires when I ran them) by spraying simple green on them and taking a scrub brush to them. It makes them a little more sticky, but not much.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #4

Just through tinkering i took out the fome to feel what you guys are talking about and I am wondering if it would be better in the mean time with no foam at all? It feels better and it doesn't seems ok. Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
RCC Addict

The only issue I can think of with no foam at all is no tire support whatsoever. That would make it a little harder to get up and over stuff if your tires flatten out more than they should. Before I would go without foam, I would at least look into a cheap homemade foam setup. Here's 2 links for you to check out.

DIY tire foams!
home made 2 stage foams.......
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:06 AM   #6

Thanks for posting that up!