Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: found some motors, you guys think they might be any good

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
jwo
Rock Crawler

Default found some motors, you guys think they might be any good

well, after reading the post on the 380 7.2v banebots not being good. i decided that i might look for other motor applications. i have been pokin around in the cc forum and it was gunch that ran the stryker 480's in his cc. said they had more then enough torque, and lots of speed.these look quite interesting. well ive been looking into them for my build. couldnt find much info on them spec wise. long story short. i got digging through my tower catalog and came across these. they have s versions and t versions. the t's have more torque and the s version are speed motors. just not sure if they would be any good or if usable due to rotation direction. any thoughs? post away. i was looking more at the 370 and 400, there is also the 280, but i would think the 280 might not do it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GHA&V=GPM
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

That 400 might be worth a try and as far as the direction got that wont matter on ours as you would hook them up oppisite. The directional marking is for air planes so they know the direction for the positve make.
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADASSPONY View Post
That 400 might be worth a try and as far as the direction got that wont matter on ours as you would hook them up oppisite. The directional marking is for air planes so they know the direction for the positve make.
yeah that was the one i was mainly interested in. yeah wasnt sure about the direction. i have a few motors that seem to go faster in one direction then the other thats why i wasnt sure if the direction made a difference. i sent them an email to see if i could get some better specs on T-400. so hopefully they get back to me.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

so not to hijackl but what's wrong with the banebots i ask because I just bought some.
landtortise89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I was thinking about trying the Duratrax Cliff Climber 8500 or 11000 motors. They are only $13 each so if they dont work well I wouldnt be out much.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

landtortise89, there was a bit of a debate about the banebots not being too good in one of the threads. Some guys enjoy them, some don't, but they're cheap enough that even if you don't like them you won't be out much. Regardless, I hear they're better than the stock motors. The motors that jwo found could have potential...and they're inexpensive also.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #7

Is there anyway of using the axles and motors of the bigger RS? It comes with 540's...
hallfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallfleming View Post
Is there anyway of using the axles and motors of the bigger RS? It comes with 540's...
im pretty sure they would be to large of an axle for 1/10th scale.

im not even sure about the T-400.its claimed to have extra torque. i emailed great planes asking for some better specs. if or when they do reply back ill post it. ive been searching quite a bit for possible usable motors for these rigs, and true every one has their own opinion. the banebots are pretty cheap. so if i dont like them im not out much. i would just like to make the best choice if i can the first time. doubtful but i can dream cant i!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I did a little digging myself. When looking for this size motor I keep ending up on RC Airplane forums. There is information about these motors there. From what I read the 380 is a company number and its the same size as a 400. The range for these motors would appear to be (and I may be wrong) 370 to 450. Airplane sites don't really talk about torgue too much though. Lets keep digging all you proud RS10 owners. We can find a great motor, we all know its out there, we can smell it
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Steel gears + 45T motors= the perfect combo

Just a matter of time!!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #11

I think there plenty strong motors in the 390-400 class. Just understand what your looking for.

Speed vs Torque.

Here is a list on comp class crawler motors 35T and above!
http://www.rcplanet.com/Rock_Crawler_Motors_s/864.htm
somoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreMonte View Post
I did a little digging myself. When looking for this size motor I keep ending up on RC Airplane forums. There is information about these motors there. From what I read the 380 is a company number and its the same size as a 400. The range for these motors would appear to be (and I may be wrong) 370 to 450. Airplane sites don't really talk about torgue too much though. Lets keep digging all you proud RS10 owners. We can find a great motor, we all know its out there, we can smell it

no kiddin, ive been looking on so many sites its not funny. i find my self on alot of robot parts sites,found some, but they require a but load of power. heck ive even been looking for 380-400 size cordless drill motors.most of them have reduction, but they still must have some torque. i have done so much lookin the past couple days my eyes hurt. i got a 400 super cobalt 27t motor in my tool box that was given to me.he told me that motor will break anything it has so much torque. i looked that up... boy wish i had another one. thats another airplane motor. no luck on finding another one yet. i should just make an adapter plate for it and try it for fun, the can is a good 2'' so it maybe to long. i just wish we had the metal gears, and a 540 adapter plate. so much easier
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I'm surprised nobody has tried some of the motors I posted links to in the tips and tricks thread. There are a couple on there that could have potential, then again they might suck. It's a bit of a gamble. Cobalt motors are awesome if you can get your hands on some.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I'm surprised nobody has tried some of the motors I posted links to in the tips and tricks thread. There are a couple on there that could have potential, then again they might suck. It's a bit of a gamble. Cobalt motors are awesome if you can get your hands on some.
im sure they are, no luck at all finding any yet.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post

Im trying the Banebot 12v 395s, just figuring if they dont work well its not too long till the steel gears will be out and Ill be doing the 540 swap with the Integy 45T motors I have sitting here.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
jwo
Rock Crawler

i know its a little outlandish, but has any one considered two low kv brushless outrunners or looked into it? they are really short canned. i now the sensorless ones are more prone to cogging at low speeds, but i was thinking that if you got a 2 or 3000kv 300 or 400 size outrunner, you could probably use rc4wd 2:1 reduction to aid the cogging w/ a custom made mount to mount it to it. just more motor thoughs.the only thing i think of is that i wonder if a sidewinder or other high powered esc can handle low kv outrunners and how many gears would get chewed up. on a second note. great plane emailled me back asking for what specs i would like to know about. i though i put it in the original email, but i guess i didnt. like i said when i find out ill post it. ive been looking into so many motors for these things lately.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #17

Just order from HH two of the Cobalt Puller 454
swr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
well, after reading the post on the 380 7.2v banebots not being good. i decided that i might look for other motor applications. i have been pokin around in the cc forum and it was gunch that ran the stryker 480's in his cc. said they had more then enough torque, and lots of speed.these look quite interesting. well ive been looking into them for my build. couldnt find much info on them spec wise. long story short. i got digging through my tower catalog and came across these. they have s versions and t versions. the t's have more torque and the s version are speed motors. just not sure if they would be any good or if usable due to rotation direction. any thoughs? post away. i was looking more at the 370 and 400, there is also the 280, but i would think the 280 might not do it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GHA&V=GPM

i spoke with gunch on this, bout them strykers. they'll get real hot. i run the bb 395 in my duraturd. badass. i love em. when i get my shit together i'll be putting some money into my rs10. on 8.4v nimmer batteries through a fxr, those 395's destroyed my plastic gears and have snapped an axle.
im just having so much fun with my first shafty. sounds sick huh

heat issues got sidetrack for a moment. i read in here somewhere bout motors, if you spin a "fast" motor slow it'll generate heat.

the badass 380 sized replacement motor is: the holmes hobbies 454 puller. i think thats the name.

Last edited by 73fordhighboy; 02-11-2010 at 08:20 PM.
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73fordhighboy View Post
i spoke with gunch on this, bout them strykers. they'll get real hot. i run the bb 395 in my duraturd. badass. i love em. when i get my shit together i'll be putting some money into my rs10. on 8.4v nimmer batteries through a fxr, those 395's destroyed my plastic gears and have snapped an axle.
im just having so much fun with my first shafty. sounds sick huh

heat issues got sidetrack for a moment. i read in here somewhere bout motors, if you spin a "fast" motor slow it'll generate heat.

the badass 380 sized replacement motor is: the holmes hobbies 454 puller. i think thats the name.
yeah, i sent him a pm about these. he filled me in on these. i know some motors dont care to run slow.if we could manage to squeeze in a reduction it would probably drop the temps quite a bit. that way the motors can run where they want in the rpm range. will you be tossin the 395's in the rs10? or are you gonna wait till you get the 454's? when the metal gears hit the market, im gonna go with the 454's.be a good little hit on the wallet but i know they will be worth it. i know those are sick motors, well anything hh has is top notch stuff anyways. thats all ive had are shaftys. i love them too. im gonna go with the bb 390's for now.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #20

You might want to try the Tamiya RS380's.I'm running 11t in front and 10t in the rear.Good wheel speed and just enough torque.To prevent any heat buildup try these duratrax heat sinks.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPU9&P=7
DUALMANIA is offline   Reply With Quote