Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: new dig idea.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default new dig idea.

Ok so Iam gonna run a dual esc setup. Ok here is a little different way of looking at it.

If I hook up 1 battery to the two esc's. And then hook each esc straight ot the motors, almost like you gonna do a no dig truck. Then you run a Y connector to the reciever from both escs. ok, then youset up your dig switch with the esc wires. With the swith centered you have both axles, one way you have font and the other back..

how would you wire the esc wires in to the switches

or is it even possible. Thanks
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if you have 2 escs and a twin stick then y not just use the two sticks?
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

good idea i like it!
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't run dual ESC's if they can't be mixed properly. Why not save the weight, space, and money and just run a short-switch dig or RcPunk dig?
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

no I dont have a twin stick readio. Do you guys understand my conceot. I dont know how it will work, but I need some help.
I want the dig to shut off signal to each esc. And still run a tq3. I dont know which wire I would have to cut to run through the swithes.

Here is a paintshop idea of what it is. If I do it this way will it work. or am I shooting myslef in the foot.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would imagine it will work...I don't see why not. I figure to wire it up like the dig box instructions in the berg forum instead of wiring a motor into a switch, you just wire the whole esc into one. If you already have 2 ESC's it might be easier, and cost just as much to just buy a novak dig...then you'd have the exact same concept in a smaller package. The servo and switches dig works pretty well, though on a single ESC rig.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Another big problem is that you can't lock the dig axle unless you have a helluva drag brake.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Another big problem is that you can't lock the dig axle unless you have a helluva drag brake.

I was told that the xl5s don't have drag brake.

Next question. I'm all excited I think i invented the wheel.

If I have a red black and white wire running from the esc to the receiver. Do I run the red black or white through the switches. cause you can only run one of them, just which one.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you want to do it (won't get much out of no drag-brake), many could argue with which wire to use. You use the White (signal) wire, you might get some glitch or inconsistant signal by using it. You use the Red or Black wire (Power and Ground to the ESC), your ESC might get pissy with you after a while or it might not have a very rapid turn-on (Could be REALLY bad (couple points worth) in some situations).
Old 04-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ok so thanks for the help. If I use the white wire how glitchy are we talkin. And by pissy do you mean that it would burn up.

Also if I use the black or red wire, do I need to turn on the esc once I go back to it.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I would take my chances with power rather than signal.. I have had a two speed losi do 60 mph in to traffic only to be stoped by a cop cars back tires BADD!!
dgna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
bsn
Quarry Creeper

I agree with dgna. My ESC don't like loosing signals. They beep and glitch, and flash little lightes. Also, I would need someone to tell me that when you cut the signal to the ESC, the ESC shorts out (stops the motor) like a dig is suppose to. For some reason, I don't think it does. Mount your rig on a stand and try it though. If it doesn't work, just run your power wires though the dig instead. Worst case, it takes off, flys across the table, spills you beverage of choice all over you escs and charger and shorts everything out starting a fire that catches the drapes on fire and well something like that.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ok im not doubting you guys, but what if I mount 2 switches per side of the dig servo, and have both power wires be shut off per side. then would it be like unplugging it from the esc. I just want to do something different.

Thank you guys for all of the help. You guys are real patient.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

My Sidewinder takes a couple seconds to come back on and "reboot", but I don't know about the ESC's you have. I had a Rooster Crawler and it turned right on.

You would have the best luck with the On/Off switch on the ESC's if you do like must of us and just unplug the rig to shut it off.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I assembled the dig the way I have in the pic. It works great.

Man tons of power.

Hooah