Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RS10 on the way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #1

Default RS10 on the way

Well, ever since getting into RC for the first time in my life just 2 months ago I was interested in crawling due to seeing a Summit. Growing up an hour away from Johnson Valley, CA I was no stranger to crawling. Long story short, new ESC in my SCT blew up and I had already planned on ordering an RS10 to mess around with @ OCRC's new crawler course in my downtime.

Just when I thought I was done w/ my Slash 4x4 build... it does this. Probably took the motor with it... will have to wait to find out.

I am thinking the Rockslide will be here midweek and have already planned on picking up some Sedonas. Seeing as how my SCT is sitting here not being used I have a Hitec 645MG and a TRX 7025 (is this any better than stock?).

Through just breezing over this website it seems like a fun little package that is well rounded. TBH, I had never heard of it and was strongly considering a LNC. Just hoping to throw a scale body on the RS10 and crawl on a few SCT racers blinged out Axial/Losi crawlers since I won't be on the track.

Any further recommendations are welcomed.
Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Welcome to the family! I'm not sure what the trx7025 is? I tried googling it and kept coming up with receiver box seals. Post us a link to it and we can see if it's any better than stock. Best thing to do is spend a lot of time driving your rig, read through the RS10 forum here, and check out the tips and tricks thread. That should get you well on your way ans give you plenty of ideas for when your rig arrives.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

just picked 1 up today on e-bay should get it in a few days not a comp guy just a backyard crawler, will give it a try
gunatrytocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
I'm not sure what the trx7025 is?
My apologies, it is 2075... a servo I was replacing on a Slash 4x4 w/ the Hitec. It does not have nearly as much torque as the 645MG but it served me fairly well.

I was wondering if there is room for the Lipos I already have on the RS10, Turnigy 2s 5000mah soft packs or if I should order some others. Is that much run time going to cause any alarming heat?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Oh ok, no worries on the mix up. If it has less torque than the 645mg, you might have issues, especially if you get some soft tires like rovers. If you already have it, give it a shot and see how it works for you...I would say it might be better than the stock ones, but it's hard to say without running one.

As for the lipos...You could probably fab up a way of mounting those packs and it could work well for you. One thing to be aware of is that the stock ESC on the RS10 DOES NOT have a lipo cutoff, so you could be in danger of running your packs too low. This can be remedied by an upgraded ESC or a lipo cutoff installed. Since they're 2s packs, you shouldn't have an issue if you wanna run them...but I wouldn't try a 3s pack on on stock electronics, they're not rated for it.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #6

I've been running a 3s in my rs10 with the stock esc and it has worked great so far, no problems or heat at all. I just watch my run times to make sure I don't take the battery to low and hurt the lipo.
FroadnFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #7

Awesome, I would only need that 2nd servo if I retained the rear steering. Is this assumption correct?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Exactly...only one servo needed if you lock the rear steer...unless you build a dig switch setup, of course...then you could buy a micro servo.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #9

Good to know, I'll throw in the 645 on the front and keep the rear stock til I break it and then lock it out or look at dig options.

Once again, thanks for the help. Next week couldn't get here soon enough!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #10

Just got it last night. Stuck my SC basher body on it this morning

Crawls pretty decent. I am impressed.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #11

Nice! Don't forget to thread lock the hardware and read as much as you can on this forum. There is good information on set up in many of the posts here.
92gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #12

I plan to lockout the rear tonight and change the weight of the shock oil.

Already have a metal gear servo on the front as well as the rovers on it.

I ran it for about 25-30 minutes this morning on a 2s 5000mah lipo and it only used 1500 mah?!

That probably means I can get around 90 minutes run time.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

how do you measure mah?
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #14

Pack was fully charged before I plugged it in and ran it. Charged it when I was done and saw how much it took before it was full.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

only thing i know is theres some chargers that will tell you the mah and you can kind of guess from there lol
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #16

Yeah, I just have a Duratrax Onyx 230 w/ blinky balancer. Waiting for my batteries to come in off back order over @ Hobbyking so my 4x6s Turnigy Charger will ship w/ a handful of 2s 40c lipos.

Going to lower the body, remove the batwing, lockout rear steering, put in 45 wt shock oil, and install a rx to use my Futaba 3pk remote tonight and hopefully get some video tomorrow on my day off.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #17

Made some quick changes last night. Haven't spent a dime other than the rovers.

It's cheesy, but will be improved when something breaks.

Here is a quick video I shot... will get some more when the GF gets home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwE_kefoJA

Thanks to everyone here who supplied the info
Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Made some quick changes last night. Haven't spent a dime other than the rovers.

It's cheesy, but will be improved when something breaks.
Thats the best thing about these crawlers they can be fixed up a little at a time and run them till they need to be upgraded.

You made a clean looking car.

One thing i noticed though is your rear steer lockout you made you ran to the wide point on the axle so there isn't much triangulation to keep the knuckle from moving you might look at moving it closer to the center of the axle. Just a suggestion.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #19

Absolutely, those brackets are temporary and all that I had on hand. My goals have been to not spend a dime until it is absolutely necessary. Being that they are a soft metal bracket from a turnigy heat sink I doubt they will last long, but withstood hours of abuse today.

Thank you for the suggestion as well as the compliment.

Next, I will need to order some 8t pinions.

Last edited by Substance; 04-22-2010 at 10:40 PM.